Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Do I stay or do I go?

Do I stay or do I go?

Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Do I stay or do I go?

we colonised the world.....the world congested the uk.............you may like more company in the uk.....We seek more space in NZ.....all the best
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do I stay or do I go?

Im in the Uk at the momonet, been putting off coming to NZ for a couple of years now...
Im looking at moving out there for good soon.

The best thing for you to do is, go back to the uk for a fortnight...go to any local market, walk down the local busy high street, try to see a flick at the local cinema, have a beer down the local, walk a not so safe area at night, try to get into A&E anywhere, Try to get a job!, take a trip on London transport.... You'l see wht you have missed!! Oh, do i need to go on!!!! Up to you tho Arthur...
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:09 pm
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
I was born in South London and at 13 moved to Bromley.Moved out here from Romney Marsh after living there for over 20 years.
We've been here for 7years. I went back last year with my 14 year old daughter. Went back to family in Bromley and friends in New Romney. It felt like home. Because of my daughter I felt that I should show her London. I felt a lot of pride there.It had been a long time since I'd seen the sights myself and I loved it. We did the usual..Big Ben, St James' Park, Buckingham Palace etc etc. The place is alive! Walking along the embankment, I thought, I was born only 'up the road' from here' and people flock from all over the world to see it. London....charactor,life,colour.
I have the same pride and always will have. I am in a fortunate position that I can travel back for long ish trips to the UK quite regularly. I have been in NZ for 5 years but I have been back 3 times already. I view it like a very long cab journey. Sitting on a plane for just over a day watching movies with the odd Vodka and tonic thrown in is not exactly a hardship.
Probably, if I really think about it, my number one choice would be to stay here in NZ and carry on with my trips back every 18 months or so.
The best of both worlds you might say. NZ is very much a country of the future and unfortunately my beloved England is not the country it once was. Even with all of its problems though I will always return to visit my family and friends and act as if I have never been away.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:25 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
I have the same pride and always will have. I am in a fortunate position that I can travel back for long ish trips to the UK quite regularly. I have been in NZ for 5 years but I have been back 3 times already. I view it like a very long cab journey. Sitting on a plane for just over a day watching movies with the odd Vodka and tonic thrown in is not exactly a hardship.
Probably, if I really think about it, my number one choice would be to stay here in NZ and carry on with my trips back every 18 months or so.
The best of both worlds you might say. NZ is very much a country of the future and unfortunately my beloved England is not the country it once was. Even with all of its problems though I will always return to visit my family and friends and act as if I have never been away.
That sounds like it may be the perfect compromise
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:40 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds idyllic, I wouldn´t sell a house though, no real need it seems for you and you may regret it in short order when/if your current circumstances change....just a thought

Last edited by simonsi; Jan 27th 2011 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:45 pm
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonsi
Sounds idyllic, I would sell a house though, no real need it seems for you and you may regret it in short order when/if your current circumstances change....just a thought
Yes I am working on that at the mo. Usual problem though........not much moving unless you give it away. When I do finally sell I will rent for a while to weigh up my options.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:55 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am working on that at the mo. Usual problem though........not much moving unless you give it away. When I do finally sell I will rent for a while to weigh up my options.
Sorry, meant to say wouldn´t sell....I´ve edited the post.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:55 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved 'home' a couple of times because of going back on holiday.... I'd definitely go back for a short time first before burning my bridges here - as everyone coming this way is told.... it's different when you're on holiday.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Arthur Daley;9129313]. Didn't Joe also sing London Calling??[/QUOTE

Didn't he sing Londons burning as well
Old Dec 28th 2011, 6:09 am
My word is my bond.

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I had similar feelings about (don't laugh) errr Birmingham when I went back a couple of years ago - it threw the whole family into a spin... however, I have now come to the conclusion that what a fantastic situation to be in - I am comfortable here in NZ, but there is also another city/country on the other side of the world where I also call home and feel equally as comfortable living. Therefore I no longer stress about one or the other - if a job was to take us England then fab, but I would still regard NZ as my other home - who's to say you can't flip every few years between countries as you would do jobs?? You'd think nothing about moving the family from, for instance, Manchester to London, so what additional disruption is there really in moving between 2 countries where you have friends and a support network in both?
One year on and I have decided to stay. I have since got my citizenship and have booked yet another trip back to old blighty. I have even got used to the heat while listening to Frosty the Snowman on the radio. I could go to OZ but was not exactly bowled over by WA when I was there recently. NZ for all of its faults is still a great place to be.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
Arthur.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 6:55 am
Just Joined

vicci is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done you Arthur, I went to OZ 2 weeks ago and was glad to get back to NZ too many bugs that bite for my liking. We hope to go back to the UK next year for 1 year but we will come back here after as it's great for our little boy. All the very best

One year on and I have decided to stay. I have since got my citizenship and have booked yet another trip back to old blighty. I have even got used to the heat while listening to Frosty the Snowman on the radio. I could go to OZ but was not exactly bowled over by WA when I was there recently. NZ for all of its faults is still a great place to be.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
Arthur.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:46 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Mini Warsaw??
Oh I get it now .... you think that London is full of Polish immigrants.
Well apparently they have all now buggered off home as the cost of living in London versus their minimum wage was not worth the racism.
Then they all came back and now all towns offer a selection of Polish mini markets just very much like the Indian corner shops that first started. Leamington Spa has a selection......
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

Welcome to the world of being a ping pong pom ....I should know I have been a ping pong pom for the last 28 years ..... left uk when i was 13 and have now lived between uk, nz and oz for the last 28 years..... currently in the uk( for the last 10 years) , with the house on the market and returning to NZ 2012 with my very british hubby LOL .... So fingers crossed this time for me I put down roots in NZ that really stick as I am sick to death of bloody moving ...
So whats my point ....I guess its this the grass only seems to greener on which ever side for a little while ...then reality usually gives u a swift kick up the ass....so if I have learnt anything ...must be a slow learner though as it has taken me 28 years. it is not to give up so easily .. I have longed to be back in NZ for the last 8 years , but due to circumstances,step kids etc have not been able to ...
So i hope u work out ur dilemma and I sure as hell hope I have worked out mine this time .. Good luck
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I understand the dilemma but never quite "got" London, despite 8 years there. IMO New York feels faaaaar bigger, more vibrant and exciting (most pubs etc in London are closed by 11pm, ffs!), whereas Paris, Berlin or Madrid feel far more stylish and cultured... not expecting many here to agree.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:10 pm
Banned

LeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stormer999
True but they did make full use of our NHS prior to departing without leaving any forwarding contact details for all outstanding debts.... As for your dilemma then I should think you need fellow Londoners to reply as although being British never in my life could I entertain any thoughts of living in amongst 8 million people who never see a cow or a sheep unless it is cut up on a meat shelf so returning to that would never be a yearning from anywhere....
They don't need to, they are part of the EU, it's an entitlement.

<snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 29th 2011 at 1:51 am. Reason: There is no need for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.