coming up to 1 year

Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice
Default coming up to 1 year

I've been pretty abscent from here for quite a while, so thought as we're coming up on our first aniversary here I'd do an update.

We're still in Taranaki and in the house we bought in Jan. One of the first things done was the installation of a log burner - so pleased we did as without double glazing and cavity wall insulation it gets a bit chilly (I say that but I only wore my winter coat twice and one of those times was to go sledging on the mountain). Next is the spa, got one sat ready to go just needs a hard standing laid (should be soon and in time for summer). I'm looking forward to a Kiwi Christmas, have leave and plan on a BBQ and paddle on the shore (no roast turkey this year) I've managed to drop some hours at work and the OH has a job which is also part-time - sounds great in theory but its a solution to cut down on childcare rather than have proper family time.

OH is loving it here, is happy at work, has been out on his bikes and has even bought a cannoe (is that spelt right). Our daughter is out and about with friends alot (thank heavens as she lived on skype when we first came) and seems to have adapted to the Kiwi way of life; even has a Kiwi accent now and no longer calls things by their British names (wellies, flip-flops, crisps, pants - the latter one being a problem for me in my job ).

We haven't been proper exploring yet, but have been up the mountain and visited several of the beaches - I have found winter a bit of a downer (when it rains boy does it rain); I'm a beach bum so hate glum indoor days. I'm planning on buying some ski's for next winter and spending more time on the mountain, OH has butchered one of his bikes and made it into a ski bike (was fun, and he only fell off it once).

I have found not driving a huge burden - was so used to good public transport in an inner UK city; didn't quite realise how much it would impact on me. I am learning and have a hunk of junk to practice in and hope to gain my freedom soon (the loss of which has caused much grumpiness on my part - have felt very isolated). I still really miss my friends (who were just a walk away in the UK); new friends here are a bit further away. I've also struggled with the amount of study I need to do alongside the job (my overseas competence programme) - feel like it eats away my free time and I haven't been able to enjoy the country I've moved to (which was why I moved here - to enjoy). On a positive I only have 1 more year to go and it should all be done and my free-time will be mine again. It has had an impact on our relationship which nearly reached breaking point (that and OH's temper with the munchkin - really bad since we've been here), but we're trying to mend.

So, so far no regrets on the move, there are things I really miss but things I'm glad I'm away from. I miss the eldest child, proper chinese food, having 2 houses, friends; I don't miss working for the NHS. I like my house, my job and love being so close to the sea. When I turn a corner I'm still amazed by the mountain (still feels sureal) and love the friendliness of the people here.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:37 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coming up to 1 year

good real update

hopefully after the study is completed you will be able to relax more and settle down and enjoy your family.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:38 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coming up to 1 year

Sounds like once you are driving (presume you are going straight for automatic? Much easier imo!) and your study is finished, you've got the makings of a really good lifestyle!