Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK 10 months now...bumpy ride!

Back in the UK 10 months now...bumpy ride!

Old Mar 17th 2017, 3:35 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back in the UK 10 months now...bumpy ride!

Hi everyone

I know this might go in the Back to the UK section but as I was in NZ for 8+ years I thought I would post here.

It has been a very very bumpy ride so far, with some things great and some not so great.

For me, work has been good, I am actually down in Plymouth now and the job is excellent with really good prospects that I can probably take advantage of in 2-3 years, when we have already decided we will be moving on. Quite where to, I really don't know just now.

Glad to be back and nearer to my mum who is having cardiac investigations at the moment as she has really deteriorated in the past 6 months or so with her breathing. She can't really manage more than about 20m without becoming very short of breath. So being here and not Auckland helps for now. Mr SD's mum has also deteriorated in overall health, she is almost 80, so the fact we are here is good.

Mr SP hasn't had such a good time. After his collapse en route to Heathrow from LAX last year, he just hasn't quite bounced back and probably due to the ageist job market could only get a part time job in Tesco in Manchester, and now we are down here there is very little for him - so he is struggling mentally with being in this situation especially after having earned $100K+ in Auckland. He is thinking of re-training, so something useful he can take elsewhere would be a good plan.

Our girls are in London and not Edinburgh - but at least that is nearer me in Devon and I've been up twice in the last two weeks alone. Times are hard there to be honest - and our younger one is struggling to secure a decent role, which is hard to grasp considering she is well qualified and has experience, but most of her education and experience is kiwi!

As for the shopping - there is actually too much now in comparison to Albany Mall - oh the times i have wanted the shops and now I can't cope! Too much choice is a problem too.

Prices are cheaper for some things - but maybe not as much as you think. M&S food hall is better than I remembered but general supermarket goods I'm not so sure about. Yes cheaper, but some things were certainly of a better quality if NZ and a decent steak has, so far, been hard to find. I do miss Freedom Furniture for my regular cushion renewal and some of the independent stores too for nice items and on occasions even the Warehouse - can't believe I said that!

Miss some of the weather, don't miss the NZ driving. I do miss the asian food influences for sure and the sushi - don't get me started on the rubbish here; and the coffee shops - here Costa is everywhere and it is garbage.

Overall, the jury is still out on whether we really did make the right decision, but for now we are here and have to make the most of it. Will we return...who knows to be honest but not until I have more experience in my new field and the dog is no longer with us - she can't do that journey for a fifth time and my bank account can't afford it either!

So from an overcast Devon, where at least I do get to work from home when I want to - I will say g'day and you never ever know what the future will bring!
Old Mar 17th 2017, 9:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Back in the UK 10 months now...bumpy ride!

Thanks for thinking to update us SparkleyDiva.
It is always good to hear from those that have made the move. I can imagine that just like anywhere it is the good with the bad. The ups and the downs.
I do hope things pick up for your daughters one way or another.

I have a couple of questions please

Do you find it too busy of people ? Do you think it grubby/rundown with rubbish everywhere.

These are not trick questions BTW.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been to Plymouth for best part of 18 years. Hopefully going back to visit this year. Is Cap'n'Jaspers still there? I bet it's changed a lot in my time away.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 8:54 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Thanks for thinking to update us SparkleyDiva.
It is always good to hear from those that have made the move. I can imagine that just like anywhere it is the good with the bad. The ups and the downs.
I do hope things pick up for your daughters one way or another.

I have a couple of questions please

Do you find it too busy of people ? Do you think it grubby/rundown with rubbish everywhere.

These are not trick questions BTW.
Thanks BEVS, I hope it all settles down too.

I found Manchester too crowded, I just couldn't cope at all. We went to the Christmas markets but after 10 minutes we left and went home. It was wall to wall people and just miserable. The same with the Trafford Centre, only went twice in 6 months - just too many people. But now down in Devon it is much better, less crowded and has just enough shops for me. Also traffic is great compared to both Manchester and Auckland - in comparison there are no queues!

As for grubby - i think it is compared to NZ but then I do wonder if some of that is our much older, historical architecture. Some places certainly have more litter and councils don't seem keen to deal with overflowing bins very quickly. Pavements also covered in gum and dog excrement in some places, but not everywhere - yuk. But get out into the countryside and it is beautiful. When we moved down here in January we stayed near Looe and it is so peaceful.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 8:56 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by mrken30
Haven't been to Plymouth for best part of 18 years. Hopefully going back to visit this year. Is Cap'n'Jaspers still there? I bet it's changed a lot in my time away.
Haven't come across it as yet.

Lots of regeneration going on, houses, hotels etc so I imagine a lot of changes. Roual William Yard is good and worth a visit
Old Mar 19th 2017, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
It was still there when we left nearly 4 years ago. Not just a shack anymore though, has permanent seating outside now, you still pay a deposit on the mug....