Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Arrived today , now into the 10th year we go

Arrived today , now into the 10th year we go

Old May 20th 2014, 10:54 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arrived today , now into the 10th year we go

Well here we are again ? Another year gone and today is the day we arrived in New Zealand dunedin 2005 .

I have not long returned from a trip back to Poole , Dorset to see my folks and especially my dad who was not in good health , had an amazing 2 weeks with family and friends , although I traveled on my own it was a great time away .

Not long after I got back my dad passed away , he did make his 80th birthday party and had great times out with me whilst I was there. But now back from that trip it's hard to get backup life here , strange that after this long a bit of homesickness has crept in !

When I was in uk I thought of what would I do for work , look at all this traffic , and could we really every live back here ? And the answer is definitely NO .

Dorset is a beautiful county , but the traffic and amount of people now puts me off and also reiterates why we came to live here.

My in laws emigrated last year to nz and now live about 15 mins away in mosgeil , I also have my brother in law and how wife down in invercargill , so all my wife's side are here in nz now .

I remember flying in over the southern alps all those years ago. , looking out the plane window and saying "wow" look at that.

We have traveled most of the South Island , but yet to do the north island , I have only been away on training in levin and Wellington , my wife and I have said as soon as our daughter settles in uni , then maybe we will look at heading to the north island for a new adventure and another change in lifestyles maybe?

I am still working for the prison service and thoroughly enjoy my job there , albeit shift work, it's a great place to work , fun and atmosphere . My wife still works with prisoners , but now helps them reintegrate back into the community.

Our daughter who is now 17 is doing exceptionally well at school is in her last year and maybe uni next year ? She is planning to take a year off and just save some money whilst working , then uni , she currently works part time in new world deli and enjoys the $ and work.

It's amazing how time flies by and how quickly 10 years creeps up ? We have no regrets from coming to nz , I am lucky in that my mum has paid for my last 2 trips back to uk to catch up with family and this helps a lot. I know many people here who have not got the $ to go back and cannot go back when people pass away.

You have to weigh up what you have here every now and then? Maybe not financially , but the country and it's people are amazing , and worth more than any amount of $ ay .?

So , all in all we have done well over these past 9 years , live in the countryside on an acre of land, peace and quiet , no traffic on the roads down here , wildlife all around, easy drive to central otago for weekends away in the mountains , open spaces , beautiful landscapes , friendly helpful people , what more could you ask for ?

Hope all of you who are trying to get to nz do so , and those of you who are here , keep up the good living ?

Kia kaha

Nige, Karla and Martha who flew South May 21 2005 .

Xx
Old May 20th 2014, 11:20 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived today , now into the 10th year we go

Nice one Foofs! I agree with your thoughts about the Dorset area. I studied at Bournemouth Uni and then worked there for a couple of years after. Lovely place, but I also get put off by the amount of traffic that seems to only be getting worse. In the few years I was at uni and working, the place did start to change with the influx of hen and stag parties. Seems to be going the same way as Newquay! Sad really as it has a lot going for it in many ways..

Glad life's panning out well for you. All the best for the future
Old May 20th 2014, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Nige!
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

so nice to read, glad you still feel you made the right move. It is crazy how it flies in eh? My daughter was a baby and now she is almost 8!!!!
Old May 22nd 2014, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

lovely update!