Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Almost two years on and.........friendships are hard to come by!!!!

Almost two years on and.........friendships are hard to come by!!!!

Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:42 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Almost two years on and.........friendships are hard to come by!!!!

yep agree most of my friends are english and irish , the kiwis are a strange lot thought they were very friendly at first but its all fake.

i made friends more when i started working as a demostrator at supermarkets get to meet all kinds of people, the friends ive made are from the uk though so that about says it all dont it?

when i first arrived i inivited kiwi neighbours around never got a invite back, they are a tight lot they dont even send christmas cards whats with that????
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

sandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Almost two years on and.........friendships are hard to come by!!!!

Originally Posted by love30stm
yep agree most of my friends are english and irish , the kiwis are a strange lot thought they were very friendly at first but its all fake.

i made friends more when i started working as a demostrator at supermarkets get to meet all kinds of people, the friends ive made are from the uk though so that about says it all dont it?

when i first arrived i inivited kiwi neighbours around never got a invite back, they are a tight lot they dont even send christmas cards whats with that????
Hi i now what you mean not one card from work and for the secret santa wanted it to be a $5 gift what on earth can you buy for that
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by sandra arnott
Hi i now what you mean not one card from work and for the secret santa wanted it to be a $5 gift what on earth can you buy for that
really?? omg $5.00 thats riduculous!

where in Nz are you btw??? message me if you want a chat and im on facebook
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tweetweet
bellasmum hi thanks for your message. Well we never got the 'friendly kiwi approach' from our neighbours so pass on that one! instead we found two lots of neighbours in our garden on various occasions cleaning our fruit trees of all their fruit by the sackful! i was not sure if that is the kiwi way so asked someone who said 'no we dont do that here'!

we really tried when we got here to make an effort and invite people that we met around, for bbqs and tea etc, if they did come round we never got an invite back so now we dont try. we get a lot of 'oh you must come round for a bbq' and 'we must get you round for a meal' but nothing happens. but saying that we have made about four friends - more acquaintances.

Cant complain though because the NZ scenery is beautiful and being on the outside teaches one to be self reliant and resourceful.
Could have wrote that myself,same in Oz,invitie them in dinner, wine, make them welcome but no invite back ( PERHAPS IT'S MY COOKING LoL )
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Could have wrote that myself,same in Oz,invitie them in dinner, wine, make them welcome but no invite back ( PERHAPS IT'S MY COOKING LoL )
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

How true.... got that right and we are in OZ.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

sandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nice

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
How true.... got that right and we are in OZ.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

polly.glot will become famous soon enoughpolly.glot will become famous soon enough

Mr G, ex-Mancunian, would say differently - he has been so impressed by the friendliness of Kiwis and has been made to feel really at home. Compared with the snobs we encountered in Hertfordshire, who despised his northern accent and my being from the Antipodes, this is paradise. But then, he is open-minded and takes people as he finds them. Also he never whinges about "back home".......
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

polly.glot will become famous soon enoughpolly.glot will become famous soon enough

I really do take exception to sweeping generalisations such as the one you have made above .."but it's all fake". How dare you be so insulting?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:34 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by polly.glot
I really do take exception to sweeping generalisations such as the one you have made above .."but it's all fake". How dare you be so insulting?
they are chippy too
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Mr G, ex-Mancunian, would say differently - he has been so impressed by the friendliness of Kiwis and has been made to feel really at home. Compared with the snobs we encountered in Hertfordshire, who despised his northern accent and my being from the Antipodes, this is paradise. But then, he is open-minded and takes people as he finds them. Also he never whinges about "back home".......
Sounds like my OH. He has never had any problems making good friends.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry polly. It's the norm in here. Says more about the posters than anyone else.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tweetweet
they are chippy too
While many Brits of my acquaintance are simply ignorant and cannot even write a coherent sentence in their own language.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Quite frankly, I am not surprised that you don't easily make friends in this country, with an attitude like yours. Pathetic.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Quite frankly, I am not surprised that you don't easily make friends in this country, with an attitude like yours. Pathetic.
FGS lighten up. Expat websites have to be full of generalisations. Got to vent somewhere.
It's her opinion based on her experience - who are you to judge? Be grateful if your experience has been better.

Should she have said this? 'Of course we can't generalise but in my experience most Kiwis are fake but then maybe it's my fault I have perceived them to be this way or maybe I have simply been unlucky. Anyway no offence meant if any Kiwis are reading this 'British Expats' website but since I don't have a single Kiwi friend and all my friends are Irish and English, I do have to conclude that there is something I am obviously doing wrong to not be able to make friends with Kiwis' ???

On second thoughts maybe I shouldn't feed the troll.

Last edited by luvwelly; Nov 14th 2011 at 9:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.