Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

9 Months in and not many regrets

9 Months in and not many regrets

Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:04 pm
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold
Default 9 Months in and not many regrets

Hi all
First update after 9 months. We are moving on!
Mr and I are very happy at present after unfortunate beginnings here in Christchurch. - arriving just before Xmas and not being able to find anywhere suitable to live after allowing 3 weeks to find somewhere - the demand was so great and we were going to be essentially homeless on Xmas day! So we bought a motorhome, the best we could afford and have been happily living in it ever since - got all the mod cons too!. Luckily we are outdoorsy and campers/caravaners anyway so it suited us.
We have also had some fabulous weekends away in it too!

We've also got a car for general commuting, shopping etc.

Mr K has found work with a small local painting company, but does not feel settled in Christchurch. I too do not feel settled here in Christchurch.

My work - I hated from day 1 and I did feel a little misled from interview to actually working here, but I don't want to bore anyone with all the details. Lets just say, I have stuck it out in the hope that I would be happier, as well as fulfilling our visa requirements. The people I met (work colleagues) both kiwis and expats from all over the world have been fabulous, friendly and helpful. i even got to like my job a little but not enough to continue there, - several issues.

So we love NZ, have made some wonderful friends, have NOT regretted coming here at all, but we are going to take some time away and travel about abit to see more of this gorgeous country. (Managed to save abit to allow us to do this) and to maybe find somewhere that we will feel more settled.

We have also felt that after our 2 years here we may perhaps be ready to return to the UK (although things may change) - it was not until we were actually away from our children and grandchildren that we have realised just how much we want to be a part of their lives - it's not enough from halfway around the world. It's fine at the moment, we speak on Skype very regular. It would be wonderful if they could all join us here! There would never be any need to return to the UK.

The most important thing is that we are very happy here and the experiences we have had so far we would not change for the world.
Sorry to bore you all but I have found this site extremely helpful and I wanted to update you on our adventure!

I look forward to reading any comments.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: 9 Months in and not many regrets

I love it when people don't just fade away after posting for a bit, but do think to come back and update as to how they are getting on .

Sounds like you've had and are having a bit of an adventure. Who knows what the next year will bring for you both. Sounds exciting.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:54 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one skends. Is it cosy in your campervan ?

To many times it happens that in a job the work is good but the people are pants. However, nice people can be found in work places where the work is, um crap.

Onwards and upwards.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:22 am
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Campervan is very cosy indeed, I must admit though, we both miss sitting in a comfy armchair, but that's what the display ones are in the Warehouse for is it not? We are quite often found pretending to try out the display models in furniture shops, just to remind ourselves how nice sitting in a cosy armchair is!! I think we need to get a life!!
Work was different, but I got used to that. Management were pants!!!!

Bevs - I would have updated before now but I think the update would have been very negative and indecisive. There never seemed a right time until six eight weeks ago, when I officially gave my notice in. Also now I am not working at present I have more time.
Yes I think exciting times are ahead for us, even if we only stay for 2 years, this experience has changed us, changed what's important to us and we are now closer too - even though we've been married donkeys years!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Great update....sounds like you have an adventure awaiting...go for it...