Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

9 months in: here's to a much better 2014!

9 months in: here's to a much better 2014!

Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Talking 9 months in: here's to a much better 2014!

It's been tough to say the least. I'm grateful that I have a wonderful husband though and together we are making it through.

In 2013:

I moved in April, OH in June. That was hard

Culture shock, best way to describe, it's the same - but not quite. Biggest shock was the job, not a bit like I expected when I was teleconference interviewed from UK

4 days after I arrive mum was diagnosed with cancer. She died only 6 weeks later. I was told she had a few years. When I realised it was critical, it was too late. The plane didn't land in time. She died the morning that I left to return to the UK.

Luckily - with some help from in laws, we got enough money together to buy a house just in time before the banks increased their % deposit to 20. All my money had been used for the emergency flight back to the UK. - 24 hrs from booking to leaving, booked one way, at the time = costly. The house needs major work but we love it.

OH has a good secure job he likes, after a difficult initial few months working all sorts of jobs.

I have taken up two new sports I hadn't ever had chance to try in UK - rowing and track cycling. In fat I can already boast the title of Southland champion - in the masters women's quadruple sculls! Loving all the new easily accessible opportunities. Planning some major tramps in the mountains too. Might even learn to ski!

Dad has visited, after much persuasion. He loves NZ and already is planning to save for his return and is asking about his visa options and how long he can stay, could he move here too. I'm so pleased we got him here (with some financial help from us). Departure was emotional after what happened last time.

We have friends from the UK visiting next week also, really surprised! I miss England and at dark times I considered returning. Dad always said I made the right decision, and he is even more sure now he has seen where we live.

The people of Southland have been warm and welcoming, it reminds me a little of the north of England.

Is been hard but we still think we did the right thing. It was not to be helped that timing sucked. I am hoping the new job, gained in the traditional way will be much more as I expect it to be, so here's to a better 2014.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 months in: here's to a much better 2014!

Brilliant update! You have had such a hard road, fingers crossed that your path is a bit smoother from now on.

So glad for you that your dad has visited.

Keep the updates coming, and congrats on your rowing title
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and your blog is fab, just watching the house vids now!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 7:59 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post and blog hope things get better and better for you.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Here's to hoping so! The blog has been a great journey too. Helped me to remember how far we have come and how many positives there still are.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

3 more years and you can sponsor your dads application for a visa

Seriously hope 2014 is a better year for you
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:54 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Heres looking towards a great 2014 for you and your family. You really deserve it.