Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

6 months in and trying to see some positives

6 months in and trying to see some positives

Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months in and trying to see some positives

Originally Posted by pomikiwi
Hope things get easier for you. I agree housing in NZ can be shocking. Cold and so damp. We're in Northland and built a new house 2 years ago, we have no heating at all, just double glazing an insulation but the difference from the cold damp 1070's weather board houses is amazing. We're so toasty warm now. And for those rainy winter days we just pull out the oil heater or do some baking and crank the oven.

I have never found NZ'ers to be rude though? I've always found them friendly and down to earth. Maybe i've been lucky? I've fond the health system great and so far i'm happy with my kids primary schooling but I didn't have my kids in the UK so cant really compare.
Perhaps it helps being in Northland? We are in the Far North and don't have heating except the wood burner. We got a dehumidifier this winter and that made a huge difference to the condensation.
Everyone we have met has been really pleasant and friendly, and my two children slotted into High School with no problems.
Clothes shopping is done online from the UK when free postage is on offer, and food shopping is much the same as the UK.
We sometimes go to the cinema and go to the beach most of the time in the summer.
It's not an amazing social whirl - but then it wasn't when we lived in deepest darkest Devon either!
Old Oct 13th 2014, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

homesik is an unknown quantity at this point

hi barnsleymat, I know what you mean. My parents went back to UK after living here 25 years, mum and dad said they had too much living to do and life did not end at 56. That was quite a few years ago. They have since passed away but they got in a great 10 years of living something that was not likely to happen here. My mum was a really social person and living in NZ was like having one foot in the grave..
As I have said I would dearly love to go back home but the reality is I don't have much here but I have a heck of a lot less there, and I envy all of you who are able to return and pick up your lives again and treat this as an interesting travel experience.
I don't want to depress people but I have absolutely no family left in UK yet I am homesick , now why you ask, all my happiest memories are there my happiest places are there and my parents ashes are there. NZ is just the place I breathe and go through the motions of living,
trapped by my own stupidity....
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by homesik
hi barnsleymat, I know what you mean. My parents went back to UK after living here 25 years, mum and dad said they had too much living to do and life did not end at 56. That was quite a few years ago. They have since passed away but they got in a great 10 years of living something that was not likely to happen here. My mum was a really social person and living in NZ was like having one foot in the grave..
As I have said I would dearly love to go back home but the reality is I don't have much here but I have a heck of a lot less there, and I envy all of you who are able to return and pick up your lives again and treat this as an interesting travel experience.
I don't want to depress people but I have absolutely no family left in UK yet I am homesick , now why you ask, all my happiest memories are there my happiest places are there and my parents ashes are there. NZ is just the place I breathe and go through the motions of living,
Can you not go back to the UK for an extended stay to see how you would get on with it, or is that not viable financially.
We have BE expats from around the world that make a UK return after decades of living away. You can read about some of them here on the MBTTUK forum. Please click the link.

I'm not sure we will stay here forever. For me it is a bit like dropping off the planet. Pleasant enough if somewhat dull.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homesik
We'll be heading back sooner rather than later, we're fancying a completely new part of the UK and not moving back to South Yorkshire. Maybe a quieter spot close to the sea but within striking distance of a big city.

If you long to go back DO IT. You're only here once.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 9:34 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
We'll be heading back sooner rather than later, we're fancying a completely new part of the UK and not moving back to South Yorkshire. Maybe a quieter spot close to the sea but within striking distance of a big city.

If you long to go back DO IT. You're only here once.
Yup, that's pretty much what we plan to do, albeit nothing is going to happen overnight. For us it means not returning to the overcrowded, expensive South East of England where we came from. That's not to say I refuse to go there.

In New Zealand we live in a small coastal town, two and a half hours drive from the capital. Could we replicate that in Britain ? Who knows. No further north than Birmingham, no further south than Dorset ? Again, who knows. I will keep an open mind. Our arrival into Wanganui was dependent on my husband's job. Our arrival/return to Britain will probably be for my husband's job. Which I'm prepared to accept could probably be just about anywhere in the UK.

Leaving will be a wrench, time to drink some concrete and harden the......

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 14th 2014 at 9:52 pm. Reason: we