Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

5 years here and getting bored - Suggestions

5 years here and getting bored - Suggestions

Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years here and getting bored - Suggestions

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Probably where a lot of people go so wrong with this kind of thinking!! Adventure is of course 'wall to wall' in places like Queenstown, but it all comes at a hefty price and it's not usually the sort of thing you do on a wet Wednesday night after work. I gather some people are mad enough to spend a week's grocery money to do a bungy jump off the Skytower or Auckland harbour bridge; but that would surely be a once in a lifetime event and hardly a regular pastime.
Yes Bo J!!!!!! Very, very typical of the ilk!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Just to illustrate the difference between NZ & other places
if you are interested take a look at this

http://www.hellomagazine.com/travel/...fe/carnival/1/

My point is I live on an island of Less than 1 million people YET this is the entertainment put on by local government & company sponsors.
When you also take into account that the recession has hit hard here hotels are empty & there are many vacant shops, & residential property for sale & lease & 30% Unemployed they still go all out to put on a great show for FREE.

What does Auckland do?

I remember Auckland lost the Volvo World sailing event to Wellington BECAUSE during the Auckland based event which lasted 10 days there was not a single thing put on by Auckland City to entertain the many sailors & other associated.

I felt really disgusted by the lack of hospitality BUT put on a game involving some kind of ball whether it be oval or round & it's often a different story!

As for other things to do NOT EVERYONE is sport minded & NOT EVERYONE is young with children so there is not much to cater for these people that fall outside of the circle.
Also older people do find it hard to make friends when moving countries simply because many older people already have a circle of family members & old established friends from early years & are not interested in adding to their circle.
So it can be lonely for new arrivals to New Zealand for the reasons above.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

.As someone that emigrated at the age of 50, I agree.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

kazed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aucklander
Tokai another beautiful place, It is said that once once you have lived in South Africa, you always have South Africa in your heart. Last year I lived in Cyprus & there are so many ex SA's there. Even had a butcher that sold Boerewors, Biltong, Melktert, Koeksusters & so many SA products, biscuits, chocolates, it was like old times.
Miss the SA humour too,
How true. There are many SA food pleasures to be found here too. I bought a melktert at a church cake sale Sunday. Oh boy heaven! Hubby thought it was over rated. There are so many food stuffs that you can get here in NZ including the Irish/UK products eg Heinz Tomato Soup .... mmmm with cheese sandwiches. Yep I do miss the humour too. I wonder what the ratio of immigrants to Kiwi's is ...and I don't mean those who have been born here but have parents/g parents from abroad.