Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

4 years and a couple of months...

4 years and a couple of months...

Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:47 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light
Default 4 years and a couple of months...

Hi everyone,

It's hard to believe I've been living in NZ for just over 4 years

Kiwi OH and I arrived in NZ on 3 December 2005 with a few suitcases and around $4000 to tie us up for a couple of months. We were lucky enough that my partner’s sister found an apartment for us before we arrived, so we didn’t even need to stay with family at all.

What’s changed nearly 4 years on?

I’m still employed by the same company (been working since Feb 06) although in a different position from the one I started in. I’m not a skilled worker, but pay is pretty good for what I do and the perks are generous as well. OH and I went back to visit my family in France twice in the past 4 years, Hong Kong, China and Los Angeles, as well as travelling within NZ. I consider myself very lucky to have a reasonably safe job, good workmates (more Kiwis but immigrants as well), great and OH’s family, who have been great to me.

But so far, NZ’s treated me very well and I like my life here so far.

There are things that I still have problems getting used to:

Food: A lot of stuff is really overpriced and a bit crap quality wise.

Clothes: either too expensive or ugly so I buy my clothes overseas when I travel.

Kiwi drivers: Do they know what indicators or rear/sideview mirrors are?? I know, I’m French and our drivers are pretty bad, but Kiwis are not very far from that

I don’t miss having to travel on a packed train to go to work (I live a leisurely walk from work now, maximum 10 minutes away), living in an overpriced shoebox like the one we used to be in when in London. We can both live on my income, which wouldn’t have been possible in London, and OH has started cooking a lot since coming back home, so it makes coming home from work worthwhile We own a car, which we bought outright after saving a bit....this wouldn't have been possible with the income we had in London.

Of course sometime it’s been tough living far away from family in some cases, my grandfather passed away a few months after I moved here, and more recently so did my uncle, and not having been able to go to their funeral was hard. On a more optimistic note, I’ve just found out my younger sister back home is pregnant, expecting her first baby (a boy)…so it will be my first nephew It’s very exciting and I hope to be able to see the baby sooner rather than later, currently planning on going for the baby's first birthday, next year, if all goes well. My parents are also planning on coming for a visit in March, so they will be coming home with a few Kiwiana items for the baby, without the excess luggage fees (crossing fingers!).

I’m planning on applying for citizenship in March, since I've been eligible since last year but I need a couple of extra papers to send with the application, which my parents will bring when they come over.

Admittedly, NZ isn't for everyone, and I can certainly understand it can be difficult at times, but it's been a great 4 years for me

All the best,

Jen
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:07 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: 4 years and a couple of months...

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hi everyone,

Kiwi OH and I arrived in NZ on 3 December 2005 with a few suitcases and around $4000 to tie us up for a couple of months. We were lucky enough that my partner’s sister found an apartment for us before we arrived, so we didn’t even need to stay with family at all.

I’m still employed by the same company (been working since Feb 06) although in a different position from the one I started in. I’m not a skilled worker, but pay is pretty good for what I do and the perks are generous as well. OH and I went back to visit my family in France twice in the past 4 years, Hong Kong, China and Los Angeles, as well as travelling within NZ. I consider myself very lucky to have a reasonably safe job, good workmates (more Kiwis but immigrants as well), great and OH’s family, who have been great to me.

Clothes: either too expensive or ugly so I buy my clothes overseas when I travel.

Kiwi drivers: Do they know what indicators or rear/sideview mirrors are?? I know, I’m French and our drivers are pretty bad, but Kiwis are not very far from that

I don’t miss having to travel on a packed train to go to work (I live a leisurely walk from work now, maximum 10 minutes away), living in an overpriced shoebox like the one we used to be in when in London. We can both live on my income, which wouldn’t have been possible in London, and OH has started cooking a lot since coming back home, so it makes coming home from work worthwhile We own a car, which we bought outright after saving a bit....this wouldn't have been possible with the income we had in London.

Of course sometime it’s been tough living far away from family in some cases, my grandfather passed away a few months after I moved here, and more recently so did my uncle, and not having been able to go to their funeral was hard. On a more optimistic note, I’ve just found out my younger sister back home is pregnant, expecting her first baby (a boy)…so it will be my first nephew It’s very exciting and I hope to be able to see the baby sooner rather than later, currently planning on going for the baby's first birthday, next year, if all goes well. My parents are also planning on coming for a visit in March, so they will be coming home with a few Kiwiana items for the baby, without the excess luggage fees (crossing fingers!).

I’m planning on applying for citizenship in March, since I've been eligible since last year but I need a couple of extra papers to send with the application, which my parents will bring when they come over.

Admittedly, NZ isn't for everyone, and I can certainly understand it can be difficult at times, but it's been a great 4 years for me

All the best,

Jen
it makes me happy when people are happy in NZ. thanks for a lovely post, Jen!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's a great update. Balanced and honest. I like it. Have some karma.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Exellent post and just goes to show you dont have to be on 100 grand a year to live here

Neil
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:46 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks very much everyone, hopefully the next 4 years will be as good
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:04 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Uplifting post. Been reading some very depressing posts just recently, making us wonder if we were going to do the right thing. Just goes to prove that everyone is different, and life is for LIVING. Good on ya Here's to your next 4 years: drinkwine:
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Honeybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really nice

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hi everyone,

All the best,

Jen
Life is what you make it! Live, love and be happy! Great post I'm sure the next four years will be fantastic.
Dei x
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:48 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one a really great update Lovely to see how you have made it work and are continuing to do so. Good balanced view

Dewb