Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....

4 MONTH UPDATE - 8 months - 9 month update.....

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:32 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 4 MONTH UPDATE

Originally Posted by MattandJax
not having much luck!!
do you cycle? we commute by bike as its the only reliable way... plus you get fit!
That is a great idea much more reliable.
and my OH is always telling me to get on my bike
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

and BTW.... whats it like for cycling there? are the roads decent? are there cycle lanes? are motorists cycle-friendly in your opinion.... (and anyones else's who's in Auckland)
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Oh God no bd - u on a bike with your penchant for misadventues!!

- can u afford the health insurance!!!

One week to go.

While I am here, the stern warning re customs. My friend's daughter is pregnant and craves tescos own yeast extract, and was takin some choc for easter. If I declare it then will it be ok?

Cheers

HH
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:33 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HHBoP

While I am here, the stern warning re customs. My friend's daughter is pregnant and craves tescos own yeast extract, and was takin some choc for easter. If I declare it then will it be ok?

Cheers

HH
So long as you declare it's fine
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
So long as you declare it's fine
Cheers Bourbon biscuit ( I love them!!!)
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:14 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

My 4 month update should really be re - titled to a 6 month update now
I still cant believe i have a job
how different that make the outlook here
I was so close to going back to the UK or Bulgaria where we have been living before coming here.
Now we have completely different outlook.
We didn't ship everything out from the UK so our small rented house here looked like a students pad.
Now we are staying we have bought some new bits and peises nothing flash or expensive
A chair from the Sally that cost us $30
and just a few things to make it look more like a home.
We have been through every emotion possible in the past 6 months.
My Oh even quit here job after three weeks of being here
She was a new graduate Nurse and was promised a Perseptership here
but on arrival was told that they could know longer offer her this and she had to go straight onto a acute ward at the Hospital
for a new Graduate this is asking a near impossibility
Not only to come to a new country but to go onto a acute ward with no actual Nursing experience is unheard of.
To cut a long story short she quit after 3 weeks
Now we were both out of work and a long way from home.
To be fair the Hospital could understand the problem and agreed to give her 3 months with a mentor
Six month on and she is well settled in to her job and even coordinating shifts
and I have found employment
Its probably been the hardest six month we have ever had
A big big roller coaster
I really think you have to stay positive and just keep trying
know one can see whats round the corner
i am sure we are in for a more few surprises
I think they call it LIFE

Last edited by bdclayton; Mar 27th 2010 at 3:20 am.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:27 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!!! thats good news so pleased you've turned the corner and can stay on in the lovely BoP! Congrats on the job & good luck.
B x
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:37 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton
My 4 month update should really be re - titled to a 6 month update now
I still cant believe i have a job
how different that make the outlook here
I was so close to going back to the UK or Bulgaria where we have been living before coming here.
Now we have completely different outlook.
We didn't ship everything out from the UK so our small rented house here looked like a students pad.
Now we are staying we have bought some new bits and peises nothing flash or expensive
A chair from the Sally that cost us $30
and just a few things to make it look more like a home.
We have been through every emotion possible in the past 6 months.
My Oh even quit here job after three weeks of being here
She was a new graduate Nurse and was promised a Perseptership here
but on arrival was told that they could know longer offer her this and she had to go straight onto a acute ward at the Hospital
for a new Graduate this is asking a near impossibility
Not only to come to a new country but to go onto a acute ward with no actual Nursing experience is unheard of.
To cut a long story short she quit after 3 weeks
Now we were both out of work and a long way from home.
To be fair the Hospital could understand the problem and agreed to give her 3 months with a mentor
Six month on and she is well settled in to her job and even coordinating shifts
and I have found employment
Its probably been the hardest six month we have ever had
A big big roller coaster
I really think you have to stay positive and just keep trying
know one can see whats round the corner
i am sure we are in for a more few surprises
I think they call it LIFE
Great news well done for overcoming obstacles, not easy but part of life. things continue to go well for you.

Dewb
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased things are looking up for you.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:30 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RobDon
So pleased things are looking up for you.
Great stuff!!!!!! Well done, so glad you kept going good on you guys.

Tina. x
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:11 am
Busy Again

We have just comeback from a few days in the camper van
Of course it broke down. Yet again
I have just spent another $400 and it ran for a whole two days wow !!!
We have been to Bowentown Campsite one of out favorite spots
You can see the Ocean from the site or walk just over the other side and be on the Beach in Anzac Bay
We walked the length of the Beach to the next town not realising how far it was
And only saw 6 people the whole of the way
It took over 4 hours to get there and back
We were told it’s about 10k each way no wonder we were knackered,
We got in the Spa after the walk for just $8 per half hour a bargain!!
It costs just $34 to stay the night and you get a panoramic view of the Ocean
I am trying to make the most of my time before I star work on Tuesday
The poor OH has had to go to work today even on a Bank Holiday.

Where is all the Traffic??
Imagine going out on Good Friday in the UK
Guaranteed traffic jams and Queues everywhere.
Have a good Easter Folks !!!!
And thank you to all the good luck messages!!!!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bdclayton
I can’t believe we have been here 4 months now. How time fly’s.
When we flew into Auckland we were so positive. Caught the bus from Auckland airport in the pouring rain and stayed at Backpackers just of Queen Street for 4 nights.
No fancy hotel for us.
Then spent the next few days looking for a camper van.
We had been there before so knew our way around. Bought one from the Backpackers Car Market on East St for $3.500.
Then drove from Auckland to Tauranga.
Stayed in a motel that my wife’s work paid for. Within three days of arriving here we had found somewhere to rent it even had a swimming pool.
We only pay $260 per week so not to bad and my wife can walk to work.
We only brought two suitcases with us just a few clothes but mainly reference books for my wife’s work
No furniture that all stayed in Bulgaria our escape route if we needed it.
Bought the furniture from the Warehouse and various other cheap places including the Sally Army
We still have the camper van and try to get away when we can (but its just failed the W.O.F. and it looks like being expensive)
My wife has settled into her job well and we both like it here.
But time for a reality check:
I can’t find work here. Please don’t try to tell me to knock on door or phone around etc. I have done all of this and tried the yellow pages and registered with three job agencies and I don’t want a Franchise
I even have a appointment with the settlement support people next week.
I don’t want to go back to the UK but its looking increasing likely that I have too
You can just about get by here on one wage.
But why just get by?
There are only the two of us here so why struggle and it’s no good for my
sanity being home all day,
Do I regret coming to NZ?
Not one bit
It’s just a shame I can’t stay (We both have Residency here)
We have decided that my wife will stay here whilst I go back to the UK and we will join up later in the year .We are not happy about this its just a practical way of doing things
I am not looking for any type of sympathy from anyone these are just our own personal experiences.
I am still positive and that job offer may come along before I have to book the flight but time is getting tight now.
I will not sink all our money into NZ and finish up skint & stuck.
I know what George put in his post before someone mentions it.
We did think about it
But I already have references from NZ employers
And to be honest didn’t fancy relocating to Dundeden for 8 months
This is just my little update after 4 Months here
I don’t see it as positive or negative it’s just how it is.

Try Auckland / North Shore, we were in a similar situation in Nelson. Moved to N Shore, better money wise & more to do.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kshurey
Try Auckland / North Shore, we were in a similar situation in Nelson. Moved to N Shore, better money wise & more to do.
I think you may have missed bdclayton's latest posts. He has a job now which he started last Tuesday & well done to him.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:39 pm
Busy Again

My First week at work was a eye opener
spent a few days training how to dangle from a rope attached to a hoist
then got lowered through a small manhole down a 30ft hole
But well laid back and well organised
No pressure to get up to speed and a bunch of very friendly and helpful people.
Nice hours 7.30 until 4.00
Quite different to the UK
Not so much of the Health & Safety and a more common sense approach
I think i may just stand the Pressure
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:31 am
Busy Again

i forgot !!!!
did i tell anyone i am 55 years old ??
its never to late

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.