2 months and a day

Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of
Default 2 months and a day

I can't believe it has been 2 months since we landed here!
It seems like a blink of an eye and a lifetime all at once.

After a lovely holiday in Vegas (and a sizeable win on the bandits!!) we arrived in Napier, we were met by a collegue of my husbands, who brought us to the house we had rented through Trademe.
The house was cold, empty and smelt a bit. After a quick trip to the warehouse to buy some heaters we ate cheap pot noodles and wondered what the hell we had done.
After a 12 hour sleep we explored Napier, both with an odd feeling of despair. Going from Leeds to Napier in the Winter was such a shock as there was noone there! Going to the busy farmers market at the weekend was the highlight of my week!!
We bought a car a few days after arriving here and then had a 6 hour drive to Auckland to collect the dog. Having Molly here really made me feel settled and gave me something to do during the day.
Two weeks later, my husband went to work leaving me on my own. I had nothing to do and was going to panic a bit, but luckily that day the container arrived. I have never been so happy to unwrap cutlery.

I still haven't found a job, but I'm volunteering at a school which is helping my confidence and experience with the NZ curriculum. It also helps me to meet people and give me some connection to people other than my OH.
It's all looking up at the moment.
My house is still cold, but now I have my furniture it feels like home.
I miss my family and friends, but the feeling comes in waves and seems to pass quickly enough.

All in all, I'm glad we made the move even though it is still very early days. Hope it continues to feel like this, or better!!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2 months and a day

glad you're being so positive. i found it hard when Matt started his job, and all I had was him. when you were used to being very independant, to relying on everything from your OH.. it was hard to handle! (much as he is very lovely and generous to boot)
went down the volunteer route too, and had just got all the info for local help needed, when i luckily found a proper job.
so well done, and that classroom experience will look great on a CV!

good luck with it all
jax
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Thanks Jax!
I knew it would be hard at first, but you are right being so independent to relying on Gary for everything is tough. Even a simple supermarket trip is weird with me having no cash unless he gives me it!!! I think he feels odd too.

I'm hoping that my new found confidence is irrestible to employers!!!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:02 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you've all arrived safe & sound and are beginning to find your 'kiwi feet'!
Facing the unfamiliar alone is a bit daunting....I remember persuading OH to sit in the hairdressers and wait for me while I had a trim something that I would have been quite happy to do alone in UK suddenly seemed impossible! (can't imagine what I would have been like in a non english speaking country) anyway....am sure you'll soon feel 'at home', good move to volunteer at the school as OP says 'will look good on your CV' hopefully a contract will soon be coming your way!
B x
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Zoe,
look know how u feel - we have arrived about the same time!
i am still sitting on the blummin camping chairs and cant wait for the furniture to arrive!!
it is a strange feeling - almost feel like ive been here for years ...

Im lucky that i work - its great and a very sociable start - to help me adjust.. although i do miss my kids and grandchildren so very much... like in waves.. but also love being here too!
Good luck...
Berni
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zoexr
I can't believe it has been 2 months since we landed here!
It seems like a blink of an eye and a lifetime all at once.

After a lovely holiday in Vegas (and a sizeable win on the bandits!!) we arrived in Napier, we were met by a collegue of my husbands, who brought us to the house we had rented through Trademe.
The house was cold, empty and smelt a bit. After a quick trip to the warehouse to buy some heaters we ate cheap pot noodles and wondered what the hell we had done.
After a 12 hour sleep we explored Napier, both with an odd feeling of despair. Going from Leeds to Napier in the Winter was such a shock as there was noone there! Going to the busy farmers market at the weekend was the highlight of my week!!
We bought a car a few days after arriving here and then had a 6 hour drive to Auckland to collect the dog. Having Molly here really made me feel settled and gave me something to do during the day.
Two weeks later, my husband went to work leaving me on my own. I had nothing to do and was going to panic a bit, but luckily that day the container arrived. I have never been so happy to unwrap cutlery.

I still haven't found a job, but I'm volunteering at a school which is helping my confidence and experience with the NZ curriculum. It also helps me to meet people and give me some connection to people other than my OH.
It's all looking up at the moment.
My house is still cold, but now I have my furniture it feels like home.
I miss my family and friends, but the feeling comes in waves and seems to pass quickly enough.

All in all, I'm glad we made the move even though it is still very early days. Hope it continues to feel like this, or better!!
Has the sun shone for you this weekend? The warm weather here has REALLY helped (apart from yesterday when I had to do a street collection and froze to death because the wind was so strong!). I did exactly the same thing too the first thing I did was rush out and buy heaters!!! now most of our stuff is here it is so much better + mum coming to visit next week is a huge help. Once you get your own things around you and get some work exp under your belt you'll feel so much better. hope it all goes well, sending good vibes to Napier
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Glad things have worked out
The first 2 weeks for me were a struggle but now i'm 5 weeks in its awesome

good luck with the job hunt