Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

3 Years in NZ (Welly)

3 Years in NZ (Welly)

Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of
Default 3 Years in NZ (Welly)

Been exactly 3 years today. Was hard for the first 4 months as it was hard adjusting to work life in NZ. Found my job a pain. But i met a great Kiwi girl and have been together for 2.5 years which has made the journey worthwhile. Workwise things are good now, changed to a job more similar to what i did in the UK. The first job i took was only because it got me here!

I get homesick quite often. Especially after my mum unexpectedly passed away. I have been back once a year so far and aim for another visit in 2014.
You only live once and i do like it here in NZ. Its not perfect, but i have a sense of freedom i never felt i had in the UK. I aim to stay for now. Will get past the travel conditions on my PR next year. Perhaps i will do a stint in the UK for a year, just to be close to my bro whilst things are so raw.

I have made a handful of friends, as in proper friends who i dont mind seeing outside of work. I like people at work but wouldnt want to see them post 5pm hahaha! Kiwis are too different at times. A lot more into green stuff/politics than i am! Not keen on the hipsters but at least they are harmless.

Welly does feel a bit claustrophobic at times. Been everywhere in Kapiti, Porirua and plenty of trips to Eastbourne and the Wairarapa. Couldnt live here without a car! Lots of nice cafes/restaurants here so plenty of options to eat out. If we stay here longterm aim to get a house, but could only afford Kapiti (which we like so no prob there). Not keen on the Hutt but beggars cant be choosers.

Welly still better than the craphole i'm from in the UK! Just the distance and time difference is hard at times. And the shakes! Those were not fun! Seen a lot of the North Island which has been good fun. Queenstown in winter was amazing! Very beautiful. Travelling is my drug, i need to do it to keep me sane

Cheers, Dennis
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Years in NZ (Welly)

Nice update Dennis. Glad to hear you are more settled now. Good luck for the future.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're doing OK Dennis. What you're feeling is about what we have all felt at one time or another. I've been here 27 years now and still get the odd pang for what used to be. Thing is, what used to be isn't there any more as I've found out on trips back. What was it the poet said?
Yesterday's another country. They do things differently there.
Pete
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwigeordie
Sounds like you're doing OK Dennis. What you're feeling is about what we have all felt at one time or another. I've been here 27 years now and still get the odd pang for what used to be. Thing is, what used to be isn't there any more as I've found out on trips back. What was it the writer said?
The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there.
Pete
Quote edited before someother smart alec does it for me
Pete
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Quote edited before someother smart alec does it for me
Pete
Who are you calling Alec ,.... Patsy.

Attachment 114322
Old Oct 20th 2013, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Who are you calling Alec ,.... Patsy.

Attachment 114322
Charming!!

Pete
Old Oct 20th 2013, 11:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Charming!!

Pete
I know. I'm all class.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Jess3699 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
Been exactly 3 years today. Was hard for the first 4 months as it was hard adjusting to work life in NZ. Found my job a pain. But i met a great Kiwi girl and have been together for 2.5 years which has made the journey worthwhile. Workwise things are good now, changed to a job more similar to what i did in the UK. The first job i took was only because it got me here!

I get homesick quite often. Especially after my mum unexpectedly passed away. I have been back once a year so far and aim for another visit in 2014.
You only live once and i do like it here in NZ. Its not perfect, but i have a sense of freedom i never felt i had in the UK. I aim to stay for now. Will get past the travel conditions on my PR next year. Perhaps i will do a stint in the UK for a year, just to be close to my bro whilst things are so raw.

I have made a handful of friends, as in proper friends who i dont mind seeing outside of work. I like people at work but wouldnt want to see them post 5pm hahaha! Kiwis are too different at times. A lot more into green stuff/politics than i am! Not keen on the hipsters but at least they are harmless.

Welly does feel a bit claustrophobic at times. Been everywhere in Kapiti, Porirua and plenty of trips to Eastbourne and the Wairarapa. Couldnt live here without a car! Lots of nice cafes/restaurants here so plenty of options to eat out. If we stay here longterm aim to get a house, but could only afford Kapiti (which we like so no prob there). Not keen on the Hutt but beggars cant be choosers.

Welly still better than the craphole i'm from in the UK! Just the distance and time difference is hard at times. And the shakes! Those were not fun! Seen a lot of the North Island which has been good fun. Queenstown in winter was amazing! Very beautiful. Travelling is my drug, i need to do it to keep me sane

Cheers, Dennis
Thanks for sharing your experiences so far Dennis, I'm planning on relocating to Welly in 2014, as I have family scattered all over Welly who I'm going to meet. Hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions, as you have been there done that so to speak, one thing I'm concerned about is not having my own transport when I get to Wellington NZ. From reading your post you said you are glad to have a car, my dad tells me the transport over there is ok but nothing like over here in the UK in the major cities. I'm from Nottingham and I consider public transport to be great here, I can get a bus to pretty much wherever I need to go and from like 4am in the morning to 12 at night and even through the night at weekends.
Have you noticed if many kiwis manage to travel by public transport ok to work say in CBD from districts such as Brooklyn and karori?

When I lived in New Zealand as a child, we lived in Porirua, and my dad used to catch a train to CBD everyday.

Cheers

Jess