Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

3+ years in and missing blighty

3+ years in and missing blighty

Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3+ years in and missing blighty

Originally Posted by kshurey
I don't expect things to be like Europe, I just can't see how building houses that look like industrial units can be pleasing to the eye. The classic kiwi villa looks great and works well so why abandon it ? THEY NEVER LEAKED !!!
Strangely I adore Edwardian and Victorian houses and have owned a few in the Uk..however i ended up in one of the industrial units mentioned above in NZ. I love it !!!!!!!! I can see why its not everyones cuppa..different folks different strokes aye? No rights or wrongs when it comes to architecture..apart from the monsterous carbunkle that is Palmy Council's HQ on our wonderful square..what a pile of shite. And no one is ever going to say its not. Typical 1970s style shit concrete rubbish. About as appealing as a breeze block or the plague.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Personally, I like the quirkiness of the architecture in NZ. Yes there are some places that I find as ugly as sin but at least NZ isn't made up of identical housing estates like England has become.
Yeah the great thing is you dont have to remember your mates number of his/her road..virtually every house is different and you will either remember it cos its lovely or shite..or because of the weird letter box. Mine is an old microwave. I have seen in Hunterville an letter box that was a washing machine. Which was nice.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:12 am
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light

Personally, I like the quirkiness of the architecture in NZ. Yes there are some places that I find as ugly as sin but at least NZ isn't made up of identical housing estates like England has become.
Surely you must be joking, North Shore, Albany, AND Gulf harbour is full of cloned boxes with garden area meterages that can me measured in single figures. It's only going to get worse as the developers love these monstrosities !
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:15 am
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by janeyk
I read this thread with interest, we escaped NZ in Jan I did have a good job but can agree with everything you all have said,

UK is home its not perfect but by god we do not appreciate what its got enough we as a country do not sing its praises enough, ok the weather is not always wonderful but I do not want it hot when I work and then appalling at weekends which is what it was like for the last 5 months we were in NZ, I got fed up of going to the cinema!

For sun I can fly short distance low cost to the Med and enjoy, I can enjoy far more culture and history I can have choice here to
still no job yet but we will get there good luck anyone returning!
I like you !
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you must be joking, North Shore, Albany, AND Gulf harbour is full of cloned boxes with garden area meterages that can me measured in single figures. It's only going to get worse as the developers love these monstrosities !
Yes there are areas that have cloned houses but nowhere near as bad as the UK. We've got an excellent-sized section in GH, thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Yes there are areas that have cloned houses but nowhere near as bad as the UK. We've got an excellent-sized section in GH, thanks.
Oh lucky you !
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect things to be like Europe, I just can't see how building houses that look like industrial units can be pleasing to the eye. The classic kiwi villa looks great and works well so why abandon it ? THEY NEVER LEAKED !!!
I live in a 'pleasing to the eye' Victorian Villa in the UK and it's riddled with damp and likely to cost a fortune to fix, I've also lived in beautiful old cottages, also damp. Housing in the UK is not all wonderful, doubt any country in the world is perfect.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by j19fmm
I live in a 'pleasing to the eye' Victorian Villa in the UK and it's riddled with damp and likely to cost a fortune to fix, I've also lived in beautiful old cottages, also damp. Housing in the UK is not all wonderful, doubt any country in the world is perfect.
I'm not saying that only old is good, what I'm saying is why go for these hideous sheet metal boxes when you could build modern homes with modern materials that complement their surroundings rather than stick out like a sore thumb. To me they are the housing equivilent of a stretch limo, built for attention, impractical, and little more than ego boosters for pretentious snobs !
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:24 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said!!!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Well said!!!
Thanks chuck
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Oh lucky you !
Thanks! But no luck was involved. We were specific about what we wanted & didn't stop until we found it (private sale in the end). However, I did say to all the real estate agents that I would sue the pants off them if they so much as showed us a leaky home

On a more serious note. I understand some of your frustrations with life in NZ & I'm sorry that it's not panning out for you. The first time we came out here I hated it & lasted 3 months! I just wondered why you were giving it another couple of years. I'm guessing citizenship. I can't see how it's going to change for you & if you're not happy that's a hell of a long time to wait. Those 3 months were the longest in my life.

Just wondering if we share a mutual friend in Singapore called Lisa. Long-shot I know.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
You don't come to NZ for architecture aye? It's the youngest country on earth..or one of them. Man has only been on the islands for about 1000 years. Developed man for the last 250 odd. Europe has 1000s of year history and development behind it. Mind you the US which is another juvenile country has some lovely buildings aye? So again my theory is wrong. Coat time.
Australia has some great old architecture too
My theory...it's amazing what you can accomplish with bonded labour
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

According to some research by Oxford University, NZ has only been inhabited for approx 700 years. Wish I could remember where I saw this research mentioned as I'd like to have a read of the full research.
this might help
The date debate on the Te Ara website

This confirms your dates, well to the best available knowledge now at least
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE................."I agree that entry to "amusements" and activites seem high, we paid $800+ in Rotorua for the kids to go on 3 things? "

GOODNESS ME !!!!
What on earth did the kids do and how many kids?

There are some really cheap things to do in Rotorua.

Gill
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pricklykina
this might help
The date debate on the Te Ara website

This confirms your dates, well to the best available knowledge now at least
Thanks for that PK. Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.