Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

3 Years and 4 months report....

3 Years and 4 months report....

Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of
Smile 3 Years and 4 months report....

Blimey...
Just logged in to the website and realised I hadn't been on since May 2008!! Where the hell did that time go?
So I thought I'd put some thoughts down to those still planning to come over, those already over and those who have been here a lot longer and can compare notes.
Quick summary (From UK)
Applied ............... July 2006
PR approved......... Feb 2007
Recce Trip............ Feb 2007
Full move with PR... June 2007

Moved to Gulf Harbour (North of Auckland) with Teresa and 2 cats and been used to moving around having spent 22 years in the Air Force so just like another posting really (without guns).

Settled in quickly with jobs and house (Bought too soon as crash just after!) but still had a nice house and good friends in (PommieParoa to those in the know!) or (Whangaparaoa).

Met some great friends (Annie and Dave, Pete and Karen, Niccy and Ron etc...) Wednesday Nights down at Pacific Bar for Quiz night hosted by the extremely funny Fran and Debbie (who really should have his own Quiz show on the telly) As a scouser he had the mickie taken with his pronunciatin of Book (pronounced by Fran as 'Boook') and Film was 'Filem' and the occiasional Kiwi questions kept the very few locals happy. But great nights if you are in the area.

So my update after nearly 3 1/2 years:

Due to an offer of work I had the option of re-locating to Wellington in July this year, and with such a good offer on the table, it was too good to turn down. Managed to sell the house after 3 days!! No building report required, Unconditional Immediately, and cash buyer! All my christmas's at once.

Sad though as we had to leave friends behind and it felt like almost starting again.

Moved to Paraparaumu to rent for a year to get a feel for the area. Teresa got 4 interviews and got 6 job offers (long story!!) but told that there was a 'talent' gap in Wellington But well paid and happy.

Still a bit slow in meeting new friends as the dynamics of the area are a bit different to Gulf Harbour. Plenty of contact at work but still haven't found the best night life/options in Paraparam yet... Early Days.

Overall view of emigrating:

We can honestly say we have both never regretted it. There are of course things we both miss but overall we have settled into Kiwi life very well and love the opportunities it gives us. No kids helps I suppose with the lack of stress that can bring but we are very content with life here. I have been back to UK on about 5 occasions, mainly business which has helped me stay in touch with family and friends.

My Dad died last year, no notice just a phone call on Saturday morning from the Nurse who was trying to track me down. Thought he had heatburn but died of an anurism. Only just got in touch with him just after we emigrated having lost touch for 15 years!! Still I managed to meet up with him a few times to re-build that Father/Son thing so was a bit sad at the time. That was the only time I felt isolated as I knew that even with some notice I would not have made it back to the UK in Time. (He died 5 hours after his pains started).

So onwards.... and more to explore in the Wellington region. Friends coming over in November for 3 weeks and a chance to show off our new homeland and we are back in Gulf Harbour for a Party (Ron and Niccys) later this month.
(Can't wait!!)

So good luck to all planning to come over
And keep smiling to those already here...

And if anyone fancies a beer in Paraparam.. PM me (we don't have 2 heads, not stalkers and we are clean!)

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by dash1965; Oct 4th 2010 at 2:01 am.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 Years and 4 months report....

Great post glad you are enjoying life in Welly, we hope to be there too one day good to hear the move was relatively straightforward! All the best for the future.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Great post glad you are enjoying life in Welly, we hope to be there too one day good to hear the move was relatively straightforward! All the best for the future.
Might be nice to get some sunshine for longer than a few hours but otherwise it's been a good move. Won't miss the Auckland humidty either!

Cheers

Dave
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:31 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic post Dave

And loved the comment about my dad and our scouse twang... he deffo should have his own tv show!!

Never got introduced to you and Teresa I dont think... Good luck with settling in, see you at Niccy & Rons!!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Fantastic post Dave

And loved the comment about my dad and our scouse twang... he deffo should have his own tv show!!

Never got introduced to you and Teresa I dont think... Good luck with settling in, see you at Niccy & Rons!!
Hi Guys... I think we just saw you once before I left ahead of Teresa. Looking forwards to catching up with everyone in a few weeks...

Hope you are settling in well...

Cheers

Dave
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I would have had a pint but then i read the stalker bit so that,s me f****d

Nice update

Neil
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Nice update

Neil
I meant WE were not stalkers!! But have a 'virtual' pint on me..

Anyway, I had a stalker way before it was fashionable (Arh!! young love... If only she could see me now!!)

Cheers

Dave
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:10 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Nice update

Neil
Yeah, I failed on the two heads and being clean criteria

Good to hear that you've settled well. There's hope for us all then

WP
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:24 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi great update we are just down the road from you, arrived 02nd September (arrived NZ 11th August) just settling into our rental.

No stalker tendencies or double heads but do have kids

Dewb
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Hi great update we are just down the road from you, arrived 02nd September (arrived NZ 11th August) just settling into our rental.

No stalker tendencies or double heads but do have kids

Dewb
Great to hear from a newbie to the area and even more exciting as you are new to NZ. I hope you have settled in and enjoying the area. We moved to Paraparaumu Beach as it was close to the sea and commutable (50mins) That's if there arn't too many landslips on the rail lines again!

If you are bored and want to drain us of any experiences that might help you are more than welcome. We are flexible as we don't have kids. I'm sure you'll want confirmation that the weather DOES improve here as I know Teresa is getting hacked off with it at the moment.

Good luck with settling in.. (It's not bad here!! )
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Told Teresa that she wouldn't like the weather down there

Miss you guys but looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks

Are you flying up or driving? Dave said he'll pick you up from the airport if you're flying. I'll be busy making his Birthday cake
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Told Teresa that she wouldn't like the weather down there

Miss you guys but looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks

Are you flying up or driving? Dave said he'll pick you up from the airport if you're flying. I'll be busy making his Birthday cake
It's sunny today (Rain due for the weekend!)

We are looking forwards to getting back Oop North to catch up and sink a few. We are still looking at travel options as I am flying back from Aus on the Thursday. Thanks for the airport pickup option and we''l finalise plans soonest and let you know...

TTFN

Dave
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I hope you are establishing a Wellington branch of "The Church of the slightly poisoned mind" my friend.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
BTW, I hope you are establishing a Wellington branch of "The Church of the slightly poisoned mind" my friend.
Still evaluating that!! Need to get to know the locals better!!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:11 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dash1965
Great to hear from a newbie to the area and even more exciting as you are new to NZ. I hope you have settled in and enjoying the area. We moved to Paraparaumu Beach as it was close to the sea and commutable (50mins) That's if there arn't too many landslips on the rail lines again!

If you are bored and want to drain us of any experiences that might help you are more than welcome. We are flexible as we don't have kids. I'm sure you'll want confirmation that the weather DOES improve here as I know Teresa is getting hacked off with it at the moment.

Good luck with settling in.. (It's not bad here!! )
Cheers really enjoying it here. Getting to meet more people and as from Monday both kids will be at school OH from Nelson but lived in Welly for a while a few years ago.

Was bit of a shocker the land slide hubby working from home at the moment but will be commuting into Welly.

Thanks again would be good to pick brains at some point

Dewb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.