Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2years on and it's still crap.

2years on and it's still crap.

Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:46 am
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice
Default Re: 2years on and it's still crap.

2 years? Try 8!

I wouldn't say NZ is crap, but I can defo relate to the list described earlier. I've pinged-ponged back and forth between uk and nz, oh, 3 times I am now going back to the UK AGAIN

Kiwis baffle me. Wot makes 'em tick? I can't work em out. Take my neighbour, one day he's as friendly as , smiling, acknowledges me, and the next, totally blanks me and ignores me...

On my worst days here, I think that Migration to NZ is just a rort so kiwis can fund their lifestyles whilst ripping off migrants i.e ME!!!

On my best days, I kinda like it...but like is not enough....
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dytopia
2 years? Try 8!

I wouldn't say NZ is crap, but I can defo relate to the list described earlier. I've pinged-ponged back and forth between uk and nz, oh, 3 times I am now going back to the UK AGAIN

Kiwis baffle me. Wot makes 'em tick? I can't work em out. Take my neighbour, one day he's as friendly as , smiling, acknowledges me, and the next, totally blanks me and ignores me...

On my worst days here, I think that Migration to NZ is just a rort so kiwis can fund their lifestyles whilst ripping off migrants i.e ME!!!

On my best days, I kinda like it...but like is not enough....
How do they fund their lifestyles, through immigration fees or money we bring over? Either way it is a difficult choice to make, also given the small amount of luck I have had on the employment front.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:15 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
How do they fund their lifestyles, through immigration fees or money we bring over? Either way it is a difficult choice to make, also given the small amount of luck I have had on the employment front.
Both. The government scores with their migration fees etc. The local businesses with the increased demand for property (which in turn makes property prices rise, both rental and sales. There is more money pumped into the economy. As soon as you arrive, you have to buy stuff. Beds, furniture, clothes, food etc.

Also, when you have an influx of migrants it increases competition for jobs, which in turn decreases the wages which an employer can get away with paying you...(why give somebody $20 per hour, when a recent arrival will do it for $12?) This also stimulates the economy.

Then there is education. How many migrants are studying here, bolstering their education qualifications? Even some Brit tradies have to have their skills recognised. All of this costs $$$. I know of at least 1 Iraqi dentist who is paying exorbitant fees to have his qualifications recognized. Lots of migrants return to education to improve their skills, so they are more competitive in the kiwi market place. Not many kiwi businesses will employ migrants when there is an equally qualified kiwi.

I think poms are quite lucky, really, the obstacles they have to overcome are easier.. There is prejudice here against most other migrants. That's just life. There are loads of qualified engineers, doctors, etc, from China, Afghanistan, Africa, Eastern Europe etc who work in the service industry, like driving taxis, etc. They probably will never work in their chosen profession again. I've spoken to heaps of them about it (out of interest) and most of them are happy to be in a country with low crime, and an easier way of life. I was talking to a chinese migrant last year who had a masters degree in management who couldn't get a job, so she spent some days volunteering at Wellington office of volunteer wellington, and other days at school improving her qualifications. Fair enough.

Are you still in the UK? It is much harder to get a job (imho) from the UK than it is when you are here. I'm not saying it's easy once you are here, but it is easier. Why hire some distant, far off, pom, when there is (most likely) another pom already here ready to interview.

Last edited by dytopia; Mar 1st 2010 at 9:25 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Both. The government scores with their migration fees etc. The local businesses with the increased demand for property (which in turn makes property prices rise, both rental and sales. There is more money pumped into the economy. As soon as you arrive, you have to buy stuff. Beds, furniture, clothes, food etc.

Also, when you have an influx of migrants it increases competition for jobs, which in turn decreases the wages which an employer can get away with paying you...(why give somebody $20 per hour, when a recent arrival will do it for $12?) This also stimulates the economy.

Then there is education. How many migrants are studying here, bolstering their education qualifications? Even some Brit tradies have to have their skills recognised. All of this costs $$$. I know of at least 1 Iraqi dentist who is paying exorbitant fees to have his qualifications recognized. Lots of migrants return to education to improve their skills, so they are more competitive in the kiwi market place. Not many kiwi businesses will employ migrants when there is an equally qualified kiwi.

I think poms are quite lucky, really, the obstacles they have to overcome are easier.. There is prejudice here against most other migrants. That's just life. There are loads of qualified engineers, doctors, etc, from China, Afghanistan, Africa, Eastern Europe etc who work in the service industry, like driving taxis, etc. They probably will never work in their chosen profession again. I've spoken to heaps of them about it (out of interest) and most of them are happy to be in a country with low crime, and an easier way of life. I was talking to a chinese migrant last year who had a masters degree in management who couldn't get a job, so she spent some days volunteering at Wellington office of volunteer wellington, and other days at school improving her qualifications. Fair enough.

Are you still in the UK? It is much harder to get a job (imho) from the UK than it is when you are here. I'm not saying it's easy once you are here, but it is easier. Why hire some distant, far off, pom, when there is (most likely) another pom already here ready to interview.
I am still here, I really hoped I could find a job from here but that seems very unlikely. I am still not sure if I will go to NZ, all depends on finances.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:39 pm
Banned

I am still here, I really hoped I could find a job from here but that seems very unlikely. I am still not sure if I will go to NZ, all depends on finances.
In this recession, finding a job from the UK will be very difficult unless you have a nursing qualification or similar. Have a look at this thread
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/M...aspx?id=190442

Unemployment in NZ is at its highest levels since around 2001....

Think about it. If there are equally qualified kiwis looking for work, who is an employer going to favour? You, the whinging pom, or the local Kiwi?

No brainer mate in my opinion.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

In this recession, finding a job from the UK will be very difficult unless you have a nursing qualification or similar. Have a look at this thread
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/M...aspx?id=190442

Unemployment in NZ is at its highest levels since around 2001....

Think about it. If there are equally qualified kiwis looking for work, who is an employer going to favour? You, the whinging pom, or the local Kiwi?

No brainer mate in my opinion.
it does seem like there is not much point even trying to give up my job here (which I am lucky to have) and risk all by heading to NZ? I am not a nurse so I am not sure which way to go at the moment, stick or twist....
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:18 am
Banned

it does seem like there is not much point even trying to give up my job here (which I am lucky to have) and risk all by heading to NZ? I am not a nurse so I am not sure which way to go at the moment, stick or twist....
I understand. I am feeling the same way about moving back to the UK, or stay in NZ. Ironic innit? Crystal ball gazing...

This is not an all-or-nothing type situation. If you do decide to stay in the UK for a while longer, you can think about coming over when the economy picks up. Have you considered moving to OZ? Oz's economy is a lot stronger (they didn't seem to go into recession) and with OZ PR you are automatically allowed to work in NZ at a later date. Something to consider.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I have read this thread with interset, we moved from Cornwall to Wellington in 2008 I had a really god job $140k yes we could afford to live but we hated it, family life deteriated beyond belief, we found we missed things that we did not even think about in the UK and took for granted, we did years of research, family and friends were not an issue, but NZ to us is a 3rd world country we have now been back in the UK a month and loving it I have yet to secure a job but I am home here I belong, it does not suit everyone and may not suit you at that particular time of your life either I am gald we went I am glad we wreturned I am more the wiser for it

For any body that asks NZis a beautiful country do visit but its a totally different ball game living there!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Hey PG

I hope you make the right decision for you and your family, it is not going to be easy either way. You seem pretty keen on moving here so I think it's gonna burn deep down if you don't give it a go. It will always be what if?

I tried to get a job from the UK when we were first interested in moving but no luck like you. But when I got here I had a lot of job offers given to me after knocking on doors. It seems to be a lot of who you know depending on what industry you are in. But Kiwi's do like the direct approach.

Anyways happy news for me, my house has sold and my resignation is being typed. Can't wait to get back home.

Now do I get a job or try a B&B in Cornwall. HMMMMMMMMMM

Good luck to you
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Garbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really nice

Reading a few pages of these threads re: frustration about living here in NZ is a complex one. I am a kiwi but lived in the UK for 23 years, enough to put down severe roots, marry a Londoner and have 2 kids born there of course. I came back here so that the children could get to know my side of the family, also nostalgia at growing up here and a more easier pace of life. Two years later I still feel I am in no mans land a little but as time goes by I am realising it is not so bad, yes wages are lower, health, dentistry, maternity, it's even expensive holidaying here for gods sake, the list is bl!!!dy endless if you want to dwell on it. But you have to ask yourself "what is it you really want from here, and would you really be happy moving going home to good old Blighty. I would love to go back there but only if I won the lottery here, because realisticaly we could not afford to move back there and attain a reasonable lifestyle without going into debt. My hubby was in IT and earned good money enough for me to be at home with the 2 kids as childcare there is expensive. Now he has a temporary contract as an Electrician's Asst earning under $20 an hour, sod all but it could lead to more work if they like him. His boss is a kiwi who lived in the UK for 8 years. So you never know what's round the corner in life. If it is not happening for you here folks, why not the parents fly back home for a visit and seriously ask yourself is this what you want for yourselves and your kids. NZ is an enterprising country and the brits me and the hubby have met here so far seem to say try and work for yourself. If you are in smaller towns and hate it, check out a bigger city. If that doesn't work try Oz as there are probably a half million kiwis living there trying to earn the big bucks. But unfortunately you have Aussies, snakes, spiders, sharks and water restrictions and loads of other problems you will encounter. No place is fabulous, as the husband says, "you can be happy living anywhere in the world if you are happy within yourself".
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Garbanza
Reading a few pages of these threads re: frustration about living here in NZ is a complex one. I am a kiwi but lived in the UK for 23 years, enough to put down severe roots, marry a Londoner and have 2 kids born there of course. I came back here so that the children could get to know my side of the family, also nostalgia at growing up here and a more easier pace of life. Two years later I still feel I am in no mans land a little but as time goes by I am realising it is not so bad, yes wages are lower, health, dentistry, maternity, it's even expensive holidaying here for gods sake, the list is bl!!!dy endless if you want to dwell on it. But you have to ask yourself "what is it you really want from here, and would you really be happy moving going home to good old Blighty. I would love to go back there but only if I won the lottery here, because realisticaly we could not afford to move back there and attain a reasonable lifestyle without going into debt. My hubby was in IT and earned good money enough for me to be at home with the 2 kids as childcare there is expensive. Now he has a temporary contract as an Electrician's Asst earning under $20 an hour, sod all but it could lead to more work if they like him. His boss is a kiwi who lived in the UK for 8 years. So you never know what's round the corner in life. If it is not happening for you here folks, why not the parents fly back home for a visit and seriously ask yourself is this what you want for yourselves and your kids. NZ is an enterprising country and the brits me and the hubby have met here so far seem to say try and work for yourself. If you are in smaller towns and hate it, check out a bigger city. If that doesn't work try Oz as there are probably a half million kiwis living there trying to earn the big bucks. But unfortunately you have Aussies, snakes, spiders, sharks and water restrictions and loads of other problems you will encounter. No place is fabulous, as the husband says, "you can be happy living anywhere in the world if you are happy within yourself".
Hi
What an interesting read, very heart felt ....l must admit that reading some of the threads when you're first embarking on a move can be confusing to say the least...but helpful no doubt about that...
l do think though that if you do have the burning desire to want to live there that you try it...we are hoping to do just that. What if's can eat away at you slowly. So many lovely peeps on here sharing their own experiences therefore enabling us to think and rethink...if that makes sense as well as helping with the costs of it all....l do agree with your OH comment bless him...lets face it the very fact that we all want to emigrate says we are not happy with where we are at this given moment in time. It has to be said too that sometimes the move abroad might also let us into the thinking that maybe life where we are at present isn't that bad after all....
as we have also seen a lot of peeps have made the move tried to live the dream and found it's not for them .. my thoughts on this and having joined BE it has to be said everyone has been great...it's good to see how others view life here and in NZ albeit that each has their own take and needs on it all...ok am jumping off my soap box...it's free for anyone thats got a few mins have a fabulous day peeps am off to work now...
xElainex
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Garbanza,

Good insight,can I ask why your OH has changed careers ? I'm hoping you don't say it was lack of IT jobs.
I've been back in UK for 8 years now and I'm getting so completely sick of this 'live to work' ethos here. That and the materialism (kids with Blackberrys at age 9 ?!!). You work your butt off,get one weekend out of 2 free and you guess what yep it p*sses with rain so you end up shopping again.Or drowning your sorrows in the pub talking about what you could be doing in NZ. (yes I remember it rains there too,but somehow tramping in the Waitakere in the rain is great !!)
What got me in this mess ? :-
I got a job with IBM in Auckland in 1996,stayed long enough to get my dual citizenship then jumped ship to go to Perth(naughty naughty) as everyone said 'If you love it here,wait till you see Oz!!'.Well having done the Ping Pomm bit for about 3 years I had to admit 'They' were wrong,I didn't completely hate it but my ex OH did. Since 2002 I've been caught back up in the ratrace well and truly,getting some financial status quo back and that is really what is holding me here now : the job. Having totally lost the plot here I need to get my life values back in line and understand again what is really important.
I only discovered this forum 2 days ago but it's been fascinating,but gravitating reading.Lots of folk not getting the dream and returning to UK (DON'T DO IT !!). When I arrived in Auckland in Jan 2006 I just couldn't believe how amazing everything was,I would have made the tea for a living just to stay.
That's it for now,guess you could call that an intro.
Cheers D.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Garbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really nice

Other half of Garbanza here. After we first arrived in December 2007 I spent 6 months doing nothing much except for helping out friends and family with various building projects; I then spent a year doing up a place that is now a rental property for us.

I haven't got a job back in IT for a couple of reasons. Firstly I was getting rather burnt out as an MCT of 9 years standing in the UK. The amount of knowledge I had to retain and new knowledge I had to learn each month was getting a bit much. The novelty of learning a new operating system every 2 years or so had also worn off. That being said I have applied for a few IT jobs and not got to the interview stage. There was a job for an IT trainer with Lower Hutt city council that my CV matched pretty well but it wasn't to be. I could have possibly got a job training in New Plymouth but didn't fancy the commute ;-)!

Final analysis for me is that I haven't gone all out to get a job in IT but there aren't many vacancies either; those that do exist are either paying half of nothing or have very very particular skills wanted. In the current market it means that employers can be as picky as they want as there are plenty of out of work IT consultants etc to be had.

Not sure if this is any help to you but trademe is a good place to look for jobs as most of the jobs that are advertised anywhere are advertised here as well. Failing that the reality of getting a job in IT is that you would probably have to just get an "in" to a company doing anything and then move up internally when they see you can do more than just helpdesk or whatever you manage to get in doing. Many jobs never see the light of trademe as they get filled internally. I don't know if that is 100% accurate but a couple of people have told me that this is how it goes for many companies.

Enjoy......
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk

For any body that asks NZis a beautiful country do visit but its a totally different ball game living there!
Being devil's advocate there are some that would say that about the UK. Its a great, interesting, awesome country. Got lots going for it in many ways, but its a different game living there. Having spent 45 years odd in the Uk I think I feel experienced enough to say that. Like wise you are experienced enough to think that NZ is likewise great but its a 'hardball' place to live. At the end of the day it's what suits you best aye? NZ is no better than the UK and vice versa.

We miss much of the UK but 3rd world NZ is a good place to be for us. I would move back to the UK tomorrow if 60 million people left and I could afford the kind of large detached home I have here in the UK.

But that isn't going to happen so NZ wins hands down for us. Just suits us better.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshwales
1. The wages
2. Being able to afford a dentist/doctor
3. being able to afford new clothes
4. having some shops to buy clothes
5. a better education for my kids
6.better roads
7. not being raced down the road by a 15 year old in a wrx that needs no insurance
8.less of a gang culture ( in and out of school/work)
9. being a first class citizen ie 1st maori 2nd kiwi 3rd expat
10. friends and family
11.having the major supermarkets compete with each other not two cartels and thats it.
12. being able to see my wife for more than 5mins in a car park every morning
13. not living in a country with one of the highest domestic violence rates in the world.
14.heating
15. double glasing
16. if i need an ambulance i shouldnt be worrying if i can afford the $85 charge for the call out
17. when i give my 10 year old my 13 year olds home work i dont expect her to say i did this in primary school in wales.
18. free education, whatever option my daughter choses there is a fee.

You dont know the half of it.
Hi, just a thought for you before you make any hasty decisions, unless you change your nationality and religion, you wont be 1st class citizen in uk, 2nd class citizen- people who will not cos they carnt be bothered to work and let the state pay for them.... LAST CLASS CITIZEN-the working class. NHS that is not and never will be free to the working class, how long before we can't celebrate christmas in uk as it offends others. i could write and write about why not to stay in the uk and maybe will, but one more thought for you, hold tight, the £ is going for the ride off its life, it will drop so low you might be able to catch it down their i see it dropping to $1.45. good luck with what you decide. sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.