Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2 year update! here goes................

2 year update! here goes................

Old Sep 18th 2016, 10:14 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up 2 year update! here goes................

Husband and I, toddler,baby and 4 suitcases…. and $1000 in the bank
(we must have had a screw loose )
2 years update

Our Journey started August 2014.
My husband got a job with accredited employer in Mid Canterbury.
We sold the contents of our house and brought over just 4 suitcases, 2 car seats and a pushchair.

Things have been hard. Starting out again with little money and two young children wasn’t too fun.

We spend far more time as a family now and are always off adventuring. Things have been easier lately as the kids are growing up. We go out exploring. The scenery is amazing and there are so many things to do outdoors. Weather is great. We are closer as a family unit. Less people less drama.
I love the slower pace of life. Iv gone back to enjoying the simple things in life.

The cost of living was a huge shock for me. I knew the cost of things were higher but I had no idea. I am slowly getting used to this.We have had to budget a lot but we have never been materialistic people.

I have dearly missed friends and family. Nothing can prepare you for that part.Also don’t expect family or friends to bother to stay in touch. This was the big shocker for me.
We have a few good friends (expats). For me personally iv found Kiwis difficult to click with.

All in all its been a positive move. We are happy here. We do get home sick but doesn’t everyone.I think it takes a good few years to find your feet.

My advice for anyone would be to try to really make a go of it in the UK before considering moving to the otherside of the world. We are glad we made the move but looking back we could have tried harder in the UK and been happy there too without as much sacrifices.
The Uk has a lot of good things going for it. There are things you take for granted until you don’t have them there.

Love this quote……

“Settling into a new country is like getting used to a new pair of shoes. At first they pinch a little, but you like the way they look, so you carry on. The longer you have them, the more comfortable they become. Until one day without realizing it you reach a glorious plateau. Wearing those shoes is like wearing no shoes at all. The more scuffed they get, the more you love them and the more you can't imagine life without them.”

I will always consider the Uk home but feeling more settled here.
We cannot imagine moving back to the UK but I would never say never.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 year update! here goes................

I did a similar thing to you - came over with about $2500 to last me 6 weeks. I was nuts. Absolutely insane. Still here 3 years later good update and some wise words.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013
Less people less drama.
this

I love the slower pace of life. Iv gone back to enjoying the simple things in life.
and this

Also don’t expect family or friends to bother to stay in touch.
and This but also
Old Sep 20th 2016, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update movingtonz2013. Glad it's working out well for you all. Sounds like the ups are more plentiful than the downs, which in itself is a success story.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

frog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to all

2 years update
Love to hear this - my husband & I did pretty much the same thing - 4 suitcases, a motorbike, a 2 yr old and trimester 1 of a new pregnancy...everyone thought we were crazy but the move was a good thing. Sometimes you just have to be brave and cross your fingers!
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

frog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to all

2 years update
Love to hear this - my husband & I did pretty much the same thing - 4 suitcases, a motorbike, a 2 yr old and trimester 1 of a new pregnancy...everyone thought we were crazy but the move was a good thing. Sometimes you just have to be brave and cross your fingers!