15 Months Here!

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:11 am
Just Joined

ingusbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 15 Months Here!

Well, we've been here on Kapiti Coast for 15 months now and loving it! What a place to be. My folks came out in Jan for several weeks which was fab but then I blubbed like a big girl when they left in March! I don't suppose that gets any easier!

There are a few things I miss about Blighty of course but only small things that I can live without. It's the family thing that you have to cope with, the rest compared to that is cream cheese!

One of the frustrating things is not being able to get a job here on the Coast and I guess I was a bit naive (I thought getting a job wouldn't be so hard)! I guess it would be easier if I wanted to commute to Wellington. I have so many friends that tell me to avoid that if I can so I have now decided to set up my own business venture. IF the mountain won't come to Mohammed..and all that.

I'm starting with it early May, so shall have to see.

Other than that, everything else is just peachy and we certainly have no regrets whatsoever!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:47 am
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 15 Months Here!

Originally Posted by ingusbird
Well, we've been here on Kapiti Coast for 15 months now and loving it! What a place to be. My folks came out in Jan for several weeks which was fab but then I blubbed like a big girl when they left in March! I don't suppose that gets any easier!

There are a few things I miss about Blighty of course but only small things that I can live without. It's the family thing that you have to cope with, the rest compared to that is cream cheese!

One of the frustrating things is not being able to get a job here on the Coast and I guess I was a bit naive (I thought getting a job wouldn't be so hard)! I guess it would be easier if I wanted to commute to Wellington. I have so many friends that tell me to avoid that if I can so I have now decided to set up my own business venture. IF the mountain won't come to Mohammed..and all that.

Other than that, everything else is just peachy and we certainly have no regrets whatsoever!
What are you doing ?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kshurey
What are you doing ?
Think theres a hint in the signature
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Mudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really nice

Well Kirsty its great to hear that you have settled well and happy with your discission to move to new zealand.

We are still very much struggling with the discission to come or stay (already have visas) and knowing the job situation can be hard doesnt make it any easier with the making the choice.

Wish you every success with your venture
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your comments and thank you mudplug.

Yes, the work situation is hard. I have only had 2 interviews in 12 months. Time to go it alone.

I wish you all the best mudplug, I'm sure you will make the right decision (it certainly isn't an easy one).

Kirsty
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

We have been looking at the Kapiti Coast area as a possibility of our location we we move out in September/ October, but Dave will have to work in Wellington. I know faster trains are coming but how long is the commute.
What are the peak times (worst) times for driving in & how long does it take.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DavenHelen
We have been looking at the Kapiti Coast area as a possibility of our location we we move out in September/ October, but Dave will have to work in Wellington. I know faster trains are coming but how long is the commute.
What are the peak times (worst) times for driving in & how long does it take.
Hey, well having not worked in Wellington and my husband being fortunate to work in P'ram, I'm probably not the best person to answer this.

At the moment, the train from Paraparaumu to Wellington is around 1 hour and the drive is about 50 Km. On a good run this takes around 40-45 minutes but I guess peak time will be a fair bit longer. I have a friend who works in Wellington who has told me that she leaves the house around 7am and it can still sometimes take 1 1/2 hours. I think if you have not left buy 4pm in the evening it starts to get busy coming back up the coast on SH1 but again I'm not sure how long it takes if you get stuck in "rush hour." Although there is not the same amount of traffic on the road, much of the route between Wellington and the coast is single lane so you have to take that into account.

They are developing the railways but the Tranzmetro are having a few problems at the moment between town and the coast.

I hope someone else can comment here as I have little experience of the commute myself.

Good luck with the move
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

Thanks 1.5 hours is too long really!

Love the look of the area though, we will just have to visit
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DavenHelen
Thanks 1.5 hours is too long really!

Love the look of the area though, we will just have to visit
It may be worth getting further opinions though as I am not speaking from my own experience. You could live a little further towards Wellington though like Camborne or Plimmerton. I think they are quite nice and closer to Wellington. Worth asking around for more advice.

Good luck
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:40 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ingusbird

Sounds like things are going well good to hear you have settled in well.Kapiti coast is an area of great interest to us but am worried as hubster will have to travel into Welly for work. So interested in your comments re travel, appreciate you do not commute.

Hope all continues to go well for you & good luck with your new business

Dewb
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Sounds like things are going well good to hear you have settled in well.Kapiti coast is an area of great interest to us but am worried as hubster will have to travel into Welly for work. So interested in your comments re travel, appreciate you do not commute.

Hope all continues to go well for you & good luck with your new business

Dewb
Hey, thanks for your well wishes.

Don't get me wrong, the distance into Wellington is commutable as I know people that do it and there are many that use the train and the car. It depends on your circumstances and what you are prepared to do. I was so tired of long commutes in th UK and catching trains I just don't want to do it now I am here. I have a friend that travels from Otaki to Wellington on the train each day so people do do it.

My hubby works here on the coast but occasionally has to go into town and they have parking in Welly so it is not as bad. I guess you have to weigh up the good with the bad. I expect the pay is probably better in Welly and there is more choice of work.

Whatever happens, I wish you all the best