1 week in.....

Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default 1 week in.....

One week in and what a wonderful week its been. It feels much longer than a week as we’ve packed so much in.
The journey was long but at least its one way, and it was made fairly pleasant by the fab plane and entertainment on the Emirates A380 airbus. When we arrived at customs, we had a bit of stress due to Jax’s missing hiking boots. They wanted to inspect our boots after declaring them on the landing card. But in which of the 5 suitcases were the bloomin’ things?? We had to go through all of them on the floor before we found them but at least the bio-control lady...she say YES! ( she was impressed with jax’s obsessive toothbrush scrubbing with Jeyes!)
Matt’s special moment happened when asking one of the immigration guys if we should go in the NZ residents passport control queue.. he replied “Yeah...sweet az!”..such a cute drawl!
Straight on to the Coromandel for 3 days of recuperation. After a white knuckle ride in the dark, in a strange car, and suffering from sleep deprivation, over the mountainous tracks/roads with the sat nav conking out, we just about made it to out idyllic retreat. See attached fotos! It was sooo worth it in the end.

Back to reality in Auckland, and exploring our new town (Botany)and gaff. Our first supermarket experience in New world and Pak n save went well. We were impressed with the value of seasonal stuff and fruit and veg seemed good quality. And as others have said. Some things are expensive, some cheaper than UK. We love waking up to see pukeko birds, minahs, and sea birds strutting outside the patio whilst we have a breakfast al fresco! Still cant get over how mild it is, even on a wet and windy day.

We’ve enjoyed the sales for the queens birthday, and bagged a couple of bargains! Some good shopping in Botany! Sorted out NZ sim cards, bicycles and a car and possible our house for the next year or so... fingers crossed on that one!
We are loving it all so far!( May feel different next week when Matt starts work and Im on my own all day.. roll on my nurse registration and paperwork etc!!)

Think we are finally getting over the jet lag, made it till 8.30 tonight without nodding off!
beach coromandel

view from room at Coromandel early a.m

sunset from our room

harbour at Whitianga

view from room in B&B

Fish & chips in newspaper and Champagne
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:50 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 week in.....

Fantastic it looks soooooooo beautiful. Seems like you are settling in very well. Bet that was a quick week.Loving the fish & chips with champange, my kind of style

Not been to the Coromandel in all the times I have visited NZ so will def have that on the to do list. I seem to recall hubster has an uncle that has a bach up there

Lovely update Jax makes me just want to get going, then I think of all the stuff I have to clean Good luck with the rental

Keep the updates coming always good to hear how people are getting on

Dewb xx
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Since we have been here there seems to have been a sale every weekend! Its amazing!!
By the way Welcome to New Zealand!!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Fish & chips in newspaper and Champagne
EErrm

He is looking a bit like a startled deer, which is not a good look in New Zealand.

Welcome to New Zealand.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:43 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: 1 week in.....

Ahhh fabulous update, made me very excited for our departure next week!

Coromandel is beautiful, we visited last year... will definately be adding it to the road trip itinerary for this yr too!

Keep the updates and photos coming and CONGRATS on your arrival!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS
EErrm

He is looking a bit like a startled deer, which is not a good look in New Zealand.

Welcome to New Zealand.

startled deer...? he always looks like that lol!

looking good for the rental... man you have to be quick to get a good un! we're going round tonight to sign on the dotted line! its a lovely modern house in Cockle Bay. cant wait to get in a proper house and unpack our suitcases for good
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhh, lovely photos, we nearly settled in Whitianga, such a lovely place.

Best of luck with the rest of the settling in and welcome, welcome, welcome!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks everyone!
and yey! we've got the house. should move in on 20th June. container due to arrive on 12th July... so now we just need to somehow furnish it to a liveable standard until then...?

the mind boggles at the necessities needed! we looked at hiring stuff but its really expensive (and dead money), so will probably study trade-me this weekend! anything we have to buy, we can maybe re sell later.

what have you other guys done to tide you over until your container arrives?
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Well done !!! it looks lovely there... enjoy..
Berni
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:22 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

All sounding good....glad its going well for you guys
Enjoy...enjoy....enjoy!!
B x
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Kelly33 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 1 week in.....

Hi. Glad everything is going so well for you. We have been here nearly five months and have just about settled in to the country and our new home which we bought a month ago. Up until then we had to rent a furnished apartment in the city (never again).

Anyway, hope you settle in well and good luck for the future xx
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kelly33
Hi. Glad everything is going so well for you. We have been here nearly five months and have just about settled in to the country and our new home which we bought a month ago. Up until then we had to rent a furnished apartment in the city (never again).

Anyway, hope you settle in well and good luck for the future xx
hope you are enjoying your new home!
we are in a rented fully furnished appartment in Botany at the moment, and its laughable what is supplied in the kitchen! we have a posh pastry brush, but nothing useful like a veg peeler, sieve, whisk, bread knife!...but it has a regular supply of cockroaches...yuk!
anyway, we're out this weekend, and move into a nice rental. weve bought some essentials off Trade me, and our landlords are lending us some stuff and we bought a cheap kitchen pack from Kaymart, so we'll be ok and can manage for another few weeks until container arrives!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Haha. I know exactly what you mean about the cooking utensils. We had exactly the same problem in our apartment. We ended up living off rice and chips. Didn't see the point in going out and buying stuff when we had a complete kitchen in the container. Oh well never mind. These things are sent to try us.

Yuk on the cockroach problem. Again though I know what you are up against -sort of. We have an ant problem where we are now. They are everywhere. Going to have to get some ant killer I think. At least you don't have to put up with it much longer. Hope the new place is much better.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kelly33
Haha. I know exactly what you mean about the cooking utensils. We had exactly the same problem in our apartment. We ended up living off rice and chips. Didn't see the point in going out and buying stuff when we had a complete kitchen in the container. Oh well never mind. These things are sent to try us.
i know.. was reluctant to buy stuff again which is on its way from the UK.. but just couldn't manage without some essentials, especially in the unfurnished house!. but we can always re sell the furniture, and can lend out the kitchen pack to any newbies to use until thier container comes.

i think i would prefer ants to cockroaches.... but only just..
boiling water poured in the nest works well. but otherwise its the unsightly lines of white powder all aound the house.
but i do remember in the UK a product called Nipon. you put drops of this clear goop near their runs, which was very attractive to them,..so they would take it back to their nests and kill themselves and their colony with the poison in it....ha suckers!!!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: 1 week in.....

Yea they have something similar here too. The only problem is I'm not sure where the nest is. All I know is that they are always in our bedroom and the bedroom next to ours. Went in there earlier and there were loads.
I don't like insects at the best of times. So seeing that lot today has really creeped me out. Can't stop scratching

That's a really good idea about lending the kitchen pack to other newbies. The question you have to ask yourself though is what state will it be in if and when you get it back. Something to think on though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.