Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

1 MONTH IN - LOVING IT!!!

1 MONTH IN - LOVING IT!!!

Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisbower will become famous soon enough
Default 1 MONTH IN - LOVING IT!!!

Hi all, just a brief background, me and my family "PHONEJUNKY" on this forum applied to live in NZ back in 2007 and got accepted and issued residence permits. We all went to NZ in September 2008 to activate our visas which left us up until September 2010 to move over to NZ before our visas expired.

Past:

The months and years went on and before we knew it, it was 2010 and we only had 9 months left to get out of the UK. Over christmas 2009, I made a sudden decision to move out to NZ on my own so i applied to the BOP polytechnic in Tauranga and got accepted on a computing course. At this point in time, I was having constant doubts about moving out to NZ alone and as a result, decided to stay in the UK to see what happened.

I tried working out my relationship with my girlfriend (the main reason i stayed in the UK) but that did not work out. This took me till about March/April time and with the house still not selling, my family knew it was pretty unrealistic they would be getting to NZ before the September deadline. After a lot of serious thinking about my future, I decided to re-apply to the polytechnic in Tauranga and found my place was still open! I knew i was ready this time so i set about getting everything organised.

Before i knew it, my flight was booked, as was my accomodation and it was time to say my goodbyes to everyone. I never realised how hard it would be saying bye to everyone for the last time, so anyone who is close to emigrating, i would say just prepare yourselves! lol

Present:

Well now the to the present....Im sat here at the Polytechnic 4 weeks into my move to New Zealand and Iv got to say im absolutely loving it and so grateful for having the opportunity as I would encourage anyone to do it who has the chance!

I managed to rent a room at the polytechnics student accomodation so I am living with 22 other students in a little what we call "village" of 4 houses. I have made so many new friends and we all get along with each other which is awesome. Were partying hard every week, always doing things like going up the Mount, going to the beach etc Im still in shock about the weather we have been getting on occasions considering its winter.

So yeah.....my experience of New Zealand upto now couldnt be better. At the moment, the weeks are just flying by whilst im settling into study, finding my way around places, partying loads and enjoying what the country has to offer...

As far as missing home goes, yes i do miss my family but I havent felt that "home sick" or "upset/want to come home" feeling that some people have reported back with on this forum. I think the reason iv took it so well is because all my family have supported my choice to move here so I know they are happy for me.

I realise my experience/circumstances of moving to New Zealand will be different to couples and families moving over straight into jobs etc but as far as a student experience goes, anyone young and wanting to study, go for it! You will not look back.....

Thanks for reading!

Chris
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1 MONTH IN - LOVING IT!!!

cool! i have let my daughter read this (who is here visiting from England) as she is at Uni back in the UK, but maybe thinking about doing a teaching course here when she's finsihed.

glad you have settled in and hope the future lives up to expectations. we've been here 2 months + now and are loving the whole experience. i have left my kids in the Uk to do their own thing, but apart from missing them a little, we too have not felt homesick at all,. and hopefully after this holiday here, they too will want to come and live out here.

yes, the weather is amazing and cant wait to experience the summer, got a little sunburnt up Rangitoto last Saturday...awesome!
jax
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:53 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Chris pleased it is working out so well for you

You are right you have to give things a go & give them a chance then you have no regrets. I am also leaving older kids in UK (very hard) but I would support them in any decision they made for their futures. (Obviously secretly hoping they will join us one day )

Best of luck to you
Dewb
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:24 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris
Great to read your update, so glad you finally made it and its all working out for you. Keep partying & enjoying!!
B x
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisbower
Hi all, just a brief background, me and my family "PHONEJUNKY" on this forum applied to live in NZ back in 2007 and got accepted and issued residence permits. We all went to NZ in September 2008 to activate our visas which left us up until September 2010 to move over to NZ before our visas expired.

Past:

The months and years went on and before we knew it, it was 2010 and we only had 9 months left to get out of the UK. Over christmas 2009, I made a sudden decision to move out to NZ on my own so i applied to the BOP polytechnic in Tauranga and got accepted on a computing course. At this point in time, I was having constant doubts about moving out to NZ alone and as a result, decided to stay in the UK to see what happened.

I tried working out my relationship with my girlfriend (the main reason i stayed in the UK) but that did not work out. This took me till about March/April time and with the house still not selling, my family knew it was pretty unrealistic they would be getting to NZ before the September deadline. After a lot of serious thinking about my future, I decided to re-apply to the polytechnic in Tauranga and found my place was still open! I knew i was ready this time so i set about getting everything organised.

Before i knew it, my flight was booked, as was my accomodation and it was time to say my goodbyes to everyone. I never realised how hard it would be saying bye to everyone for the last time, so anyone who is close to emigrating, i would say just prepare yourselves! lol

Present:

Well now the to the present....Im sat here at the Polytechnic 4 weeks into my move to New Zealand and Iv got to say im absolutely loving it and so grateful for having the opportunity as I would encourage anyone to do it who has the chance!

I managed to rent a room at the polytechnics student accomodation so I am living with 22 other students in a little what we call "village" of 4 houses. I have made so many new friends and we all get along with each other which is awesome. Were partying hard every week, always doing things like going up the Mount, going to the beach etc Im still in shock about the weather we have been getting on occasions considering its winter.

So yeah.....my experience of New Zealand upto now couldnt be better. At the moment, the weeks are just flying by whilst im settling into study, finding my way around places, partying loads and enjoying what the country has to offer...

As far as missing home goes, yes i do miss my family but I havent felt that "home sick" or "upset/want to come home" feeling that some people have reported back with on this forum. I think the reason iv took it so well is because all my family have supported my choice to move here so I know they are happy for me.

I realise my experience/circumstances of moving to New Zealand will be different to couples and families moving over straight into jobs etc but as far as a student experience goes, anyone young and wanting to study, go for it! You will not look back.....

Thanks for reading!

Chris