Working in Singapore, living in JB

Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of
Default Working in Singapore, living in JB

Hi

I moved from Bristol to Singapore and am yearning for somewhere slower and cheaper to live, whilst I find a job in Singapore. I have a Singapore passport, so I reckon finding jobs here would be easier.

I am considering Johor Bahru as an option of a place to live. In fact, I was there yesterday to see how I would like it, and gut feeling is that it is do-able.

Locals' advice however came up on security, that it is not safe, etc.

Is it true ? Are there nice areas to live where daily commute across the causeway is viable ?

I would appreciate your comments !
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Singapore, living in JB

Hi. There are a LOT of existing threads on this subject on this forum. And most answer your questions. Take a look through the Malaysia AND Singapore forums. If you search on Nusajaya or Iskandar (search box is up on top right) you'll find them all.

Re crime.....aiyoh......all Singapore residents will tell you that the crime situation in Malaysia is bad. If you go to Malaysia, some residents will tell you that all Singaporeans are stuck up. Neither statement is true

FWIW I've seen crime in both Malaysia and Singapore. Like anywhere you just have to be careful (and I wasn't once )
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

My dear, my dear...

The people whom I met in JB yesterday (lamenting about MY crime rates) are MAlaysianS ?!!!

They are such a lovely bunch, the ones I met I mean... Makes me want to move there.

Thanks for the tips on thread. Doesn't prevent anyone who still wanna drop your comments here, though I should be minded to go thru those sections b4 posing my next question...

Am excited !
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

My dear, my dear...

The people whom I met in JB yesterday (lamenting about MY crime rates) are MAlaysianS ?!!!

They are such a lovely bunch, the ones I met I mean... Makes me want to move there.

Thanks for the tips on thread. Doesn't prevent anyone who still wanna drop your comments here, though I should be minded to go thru those sections b4 posing my next question...

Am excited !
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysians....oops hehe

Yes I'm sure Bocat and Geedee will reply on here when they're next on forum. Both have very up to date info. Geedee has only just moved to Nusajaya.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello LanternsB,

As BB said, we've just moved here. Bocat is the resident expert.

However, so far (less than a month) we're very happy with it. I commute to S'pore across Tuas, and though timing is everything, it is do-able. In fact I can make it to the office in less time than some of the people that live in S'pore... really!
We do live in a "compound" near Gelang Patah, well West of JB, and security so far is not a great concern.
We do take common sense precautions when out and about.... e.g. keep your wallet in your handbag, closed, don't wander into isolated areas when it's dark etc. etc. You'd take exactly the same precautions in Bristol, I'm sure.
The people are nice here... they've been very helpful and friendly so far.
It is nice to get out of the hustle and bustle of S'pore at the end of the day, but that's just me.... many people love it!
The other thing I like is at the weekend, we don't have to worry about the crossing as we're already "there"!
Good luck!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

geedee, many thanks !
Now I am truly tempted to move. :-)
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

geedee, many thanks !
Now I am truly tempted to move. :-)
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

I am reading the posts and most come up as renting a whole place for a family and commuting with a car.

I am one person.... gonna have to brave the public transport because I can't afford the COE.

I am not even sure if anyone is going to read this post given how much had already been poured over the same topic already.

leaves me thinking is this JB- Sing. thing do-able ?

I would have been willing to do the daily London-Bristol (1 hr and a bit over) commute with a car. with JB-Sing, i reckon i would be willing to spend the same amount of time (with public transport).

Last edited by LanternsB; Sep 27th 2013 at 4:53 pm. Reason: Typos @12.50am !!!
Old Sep 27th 2013, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LanternsB
I am reading the posts and most come up as renting a whole place for a family and commuting with a car.

I am one person.... gonna have to brave the public transport because I can't afford the COE.

I am not even sure if anyone is going to read this post given how much had already been poured over the same topic already.

leaves me thinking is this JB- Sing. thing do-able ?

I would have been willing to do the daily London-Bristol (1 hr and a bit over) commute with a car. with JB-Sing, i reckon i would be willing to spend the same amount of time (with public transport).
Just get yourself a bike. The public transport ain't that bad still do able in 1 hr to reach Jurong.

1 hr might just get you to Reading (if you break the speed limit). I grew up in Wiltshire I know the M4 like the back of my hand.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a bike, be very, very careful what time you cross. Also, try to locate so that you can use Tuas rather than Woodland.
I use a bike, and there is a real risk of being caught with the thousands and thousands of mopeds that cross every day. That will really, really pee you off!!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Harlow & Geedee.

I can't bike... I'd freak out...I think I would stick to the bus. Also, in part to avoid owning a vehicle as I am planning to return to Bristol in a couple of years.

I was scouting the Jurong East interchange yesterday and speaking with a few friendly faces in the Cw3/4 queue. Looks like I could do the journey in 45 min-1hr. (Am pleased !)

In fact, I am just about to hop onto one of these to visit the JB stops to see which area I like best.

Thanks so much again for your advice.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LanternsB
Thanks Harlow & Geedee.

I can't bike... I'd freak out...I think I would stick to the bus. Also, in part to avoid owning a vehicle as I am planning to return to Bristol in a couple of years.

I was scouting the Jurong East interchange yesterday and speaking with a few friendly faces in the Cw3/4 queue. Looks like I could do the journey in 45 min-1hr. (Am pleased !)

In fact, I am just about to hop onto one of these to visit the JB stops to see which area I like best.

Thanks so much again for your advice.
Please let us know how you get on with the bus to Jurong East! I've passed them (the yellow ones crossing Tuas) several times and they look packed.

Also heard that the bus will leave you stranded at immigration if you're not quick enough and you have to wait for the next one..... no idea if true!

The bus will be my backup for those thunderstorm days!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Nijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud of

Hi folks!

We are also looking at moving to Nusajaya - been in Singapore 3 years and simply getting priced out of the housing market!

Can anyone advise if there's parking at the second link? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I understand bringing a Malaysian car in everyday is not permitted, and we can't afford a Singaporean car - we were thinking to drive to the second link & then get public transport. I've been told that the Causeway link buses are plentiful (crowded I can deal with - I ride the MRT every day!).

Alternatively, does anyone know of any car-pooling networks where we could hitch a ride?

Finally - has anyone imported their pets from Singapore to Malaysia? What was your experience?

Any advice anyone would like to post - where to stay, where to avoid, estate agents, handy transport tips, general rants and raves (positive or negative!) - the more, the merrier!

Thanks in advance!

Jessica
Old Oct 1st 2013, 12:35 pm

Hi Jessica and welcome to the forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.