Teaching couple moving in August

Old May 24th 2017, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Location: Norwich, UK currently but JB, Malaysia from August.
Richard_Vickers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching couple moving in August

Hello all,

Myself (29) and my partner (27) are moving to JB in August and are looking for any advice, tips or information that anyone can give us about the place.

We're very excited but quite nervous as thus far, I've struggled to find much in the way of expat life in Johor, or about JB generally. We're working at a school in Setia Eco Gardens and will likely be living in Bukit Indah.

Any info would be cool and also greatly appreciated.

We're first time expats so would love to get bit of a network going before we arrive to calm the nerves.

Thanks in advance.
Rich.
Old May 24th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching couple moving in August

A question I sometime ask is did you do any research before agreeing the move??
Old May 24th 2017, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Yes we did. Really intrigued to see what other expats make of life there though.
Old May 24th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard_Vickers
Hi,

Yes we did. Really intrigued to see what other expats make of life there though.
OK.

Well for me JB (Johor Bahru) is a very big area and I wouldn't consider Bukit Indah to be in JB.
Others may think otherwise.

I've lived and worked in JB years ago when I was single. Lived in Taman Pelangi.
It was great then but it's not for me now although I really love going across to JB from Singapore for the day.
I wish they would sort out Customs and Immigration at the Causeway and Tuas because it makes it such that I don't now bother.

Nusajaya, Iskander, JB I don't know where the boundaries are has some nice ish shopping centers, imo the Tescos are very poor, some very nice restaurants, some good accom some not so good accom a very nice area at Putri Harbour but I'd say not so much for people of your age, certainly around Bukit Indah.
I may be wrong there as at my age I don't indulge too much in discos, raves, even going to the pub. Other teachers at the schools in the area may well have developed a social scene.

There are some posters who live in the area you are considering, GeeDee is one iirc and maybe he/she/they will add to my thought or state I am wrong.

Any particular questions you might have.

Last edited by ex reg; May 24th 2017 at 1:55 pm.
Old May 24th 2017, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response.

It's good to get an idea of the area from someone who has spent time there, rather than seeing it through the lens of a website that no doubt has a vested interest in something or other.

Yes, I've read a lot about shopping, but honestly that doesn't really interest me, my partner might be different though. I'll be the mule and carry all of her shopping.

We're looking at living in Sky Loft Apartments in Bukit Indah, which has Tescos opposite, so will maybe steer clear. We have a rental allowance of RM 350 each so I think that will enable us to get somewhere quite nice in Bukit Indah.

Are there any areas that you would recommend for people of our age?

I have already checked out that there are plenty of bars etc. but we too don't get involved in nightclubs as it's not our scene. I do like a drink though so am happy that there are places to hang out. Really excited about the food as well.

I have seen some figures on Numbeo about the crime in JB being quite high. I'm not concerned really as it seems like petty theft. Have you ever experienced it?

Also, how difficult is it to lease a car? We want to get one so that we can travel about, or would you not recommend this?

Thanks for taking the time,
Rich.
Old May 24th 2017, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

A car would be handy because the area is not compact.
Car rides to Desaru and Malacca for long weekends still draw us.
Malacca especially. Other places within an hour or so are quite interesting.
We spent 3 weeks driving around Malaysia 3 years ago and enjoyed it.

To Singaporeans JB is the mecca of crime especially car theft but I've never experienced any problem and my missus goes across to JB on her own regularly to get her hair done.
Just be aware of your situation.

Funny about the shopping thing.
I spend an hour on the Cross Trainer daily at quite a high intensity.
My missus doesn't do exercise except Zumba a few years ago.
But out shopping after an hour or so I'm knackered, but the missus is just getting into her stride.
Old May 24th 2017, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Excellent - we'll look in to a car when we get out there then. Desaru looks lovely - also I'd like to get up to Mersing and go to some of the Johor islands, so it may be easier/more comfortable to drive

I did think that to be honest. I imagine that if we're diligent, we'll be fine. We've been to some rather sketchy places in the past and made it through unscathed.
Old May 24th 2017, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I used to work on a US$4 billion development at Desaru 27 years ago.
It was to be fully funded up front by selling golf club memberships in Japan.
Long story short, the Japanese construction company suddenly realised it was money for old rope and tried to oust the Malaysian ideas man.
All ended up in the courts and things fell through.
Now the Malaysian government is doing something small scale.

The beaches look nice but be aware of the rip tide.

Anyway hope all goes well for you.
Old May 25th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

We're looking at living in Sky Loft Apartments in Bukit Indah, which has Tescos opposite, so will maybe steer clear. We have a rental allowance of RM 350 each so I think that will enable us to get somewhere quite nice in Bukit Indah.
Have you already checked on websites such as propertyguru.com.my or iproperty.com.my whether your housing budget is sufficient?
Old May 25th 2017, 11:37 am
Just Joined

I was wrong when I quoted RM350 - that will obviously get us nothing. It's RM3500 I think, which after checking on the above websites (Thanks SushiFan) it seems that we'll be able to get a really nice place.
Old May 26th 2017, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I was wrong when I quoted RM350 - that will obviously get us nothing. It's RM3500 I think, which after checking on the above websites (Thanks SushiFan) it seems that we'll be able to get a really nice place.
That is a relief. I was getting worried.
If you are selecting a furnished condo you would be wise to visit multiple examples. Owners all have a different taste and you come across furniture which you would not like at all (to put it mildly). Here in Penang I have come across some horrible examples.
Old May 26th 2017, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Yes - we arrive 2 weeks before work starts and will be taken around by a rep from the school to get a place sorted out. I think we'll be shown a range of flats within our price range and make a selection based on preference.

I have seen some rather loud interior design choices that are not at all to my taste, but then there are some really nice, understated places that look right up my street. Each to his own I suppose.
Old May 26th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Exactly. That, plus that things might look different on pictures....
Old May 27th 2017, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

hansc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Richard,

Just came across your post whilst looking for info on relocating our pet to Malaysia. We are also a teaching couple (both 29) moving to the JB area, I wonder if it's the same British school? We have been put in touch with some mutual friends over there - they have suggested the gated community of East Ledang to live in, as they say this is where most staff live/it's a well establish community with good facilities - we've been using the property guru website. We are planning on hiring a car when we arrive, before looking to buy one.

I hope this helps! We're really looking forward to the move

Hannah
Old Jun 4th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Richard

Welcome to JB!

There are loads of young British teachers here now, most working in "Educity" which is Marlborough College, Reading University Malaysia, Southampton University Malaysia and Newcastle University Malaysia....

I personally don't know what social arrangements are but am sure there will be some in place. Just went to the Bale Club at Leisure Farm tonight where a band made up of MCM teachers played.... it was packed, the band were good!

It'll be a great adventure and if you don't like it you can always jump on a plane and go home. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.