Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Something wrong at the Singapore border?

Something wrong at the Singapore border?

Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something wrong at the Singapore border?

Originally Posted by ex reg
Of course it's in the news .
It's all over the car websites, all the time.

Even on the rajo and on the TV now and again.
Oh, I need to get out more! I'm glad it's being made public....

BTW, even though I deleted some of my earlier post, I was yet again "detained" at the border tonight! Went through the fingerprint lane, stopped after going through, made to get off, go to office, have another thumb print.... zzzzz.... told, this time, that my print wasn't properly processed at the booth. Yawn.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

It's been over 2 weeks now. Sat in the office on Monday until 2130, when it looked like the jam had eased. Got home at 2245......
Met a Brit on a (nice) bike coming in this morning.... he said this last couple of weeks was making him lose the will to live!
They're not doing anything about it. It's now looking like it's intentional, because nobody can be that badly organised....
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

I heard it was bad on Monday again so I left at 8am on Tuesday for a 10am appointment in Singapore (in Clementi so not that far). Through both borders in no time (small queue at the Sing side) and got there at 8.50am!

Same coming back at around 10pm. How was it today?

I can't say I blame you for thinking of chucking this life - you're leaving home in the middle of the night and coming back so late - I wouldn't want to do that either.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bocat
I heard it was bad on Monday again so I left at 8am on Tuesday for a 10am appointment in Singapore (in Clementi so not that far). Through both borders in no time (small queue at the Sing side) and got there at 8.50am!

I can't say I blame you for thinking of chucking this life - you're leaving home in the middle of the night and coming back so late - I wouldn't want to do that either.
Pah! I worked from home Tuesday so didn't catch the one good day!!

Last night the bike Q on the camera had "gone" by 2130 (the camera doesn't cover the last 500m or so; it can be a bit of a lottery!). I left office then and was home by 2230. Took about 15 minutes to get through S'pore. They'd actually shut whole lanes by that time, not just booths!!
We're having a Family Pow Wow before term starts. We have (as you'll know) until 22 April to hand notice in to the school to get deposit back.... returning to Canada is looking so, so good! Only problem is, I won't have a job!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thread on here a year or so ago about the time it took to get through Customs etc and drive in Singapore in the morning.

All very optimistic and I queried it timewise,but everyone else was very positive.

I've been across to Malaysia a few times in the last couple of weeks and it is so annoying sitting in a queue when you know a few more booths open would make all the difference.

Because of this we seldom cross to JB or Nusajaya or Desaru or anywhere these days and we used to do it at least weekly.
When I was living in JB and working in Sing, JB and Desaru I'd do it a couple of times a day sometimes with very little problem.

For me it is obvious why it takes so long, because the taxes on the cars crossing would easily pay for any additional officers in booths.

Last edited by ex reg; Apr 3rd 2014 at 4:25 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:01 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

But sounds like you have a pretty long day as well.

I realize that Geedee is making comparison with Canada. That is his own personal situation.

But how does it compare with Living in Singapore? Y'know....when I was living in Singapore....ehrm something like 7 to 9 years ago, everyone was working their socks off and working ALL hours. That was just the way it was there. We did the same...working 7 days a week quite often...but did rake in the dosh which allowed for early retirement in a cheaper country, so cannot complain really.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex reg
T

For me it is obvious why it takes so long, because the taxes on the cars crossing would easily pay for any additional officers in booths.
Taxes and all the tolls etc.!

I left it even later last night.... big mistake! Got to the border, only THREE (in total) booths open for bikes, and there were hundreds of them still. They'd even closed the automatic, thumbprint lane entirely. Why??? It's not like the computers need a rest or get paid overtime!!
25 minutes to get through (2200 until 2225). Stunningly useless.
If this is to discourage people living in Malaysia and working in Singapore, I hope it backfires. Rather than force people back into S'pore, it may force businesses out and into Malaysia..... can always dream I suppose!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

But how does it compare with Living in Singapore? Y'know....when I was living in Singapore....ehrm something like 7 to 9 years ago, everyone was working their socks off and working ALL hours.
I've a slightly different view.

Many are in their offices all hours but not necessarily working.

Just there because the boss is there.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Ex Reg - until around December last year the border wasn't a problem. Majorly busy on Saturday afternoons - but apart from that the daily commute wasn't bad at all. Since December it's gone mad. I just don't understand why they have to make it so difficult. If it was just sheer volume of traffic then it would be understandable - but this nonsense of only having a few booths open is just ridiculous.

The Singapore Government have a huge amount of money invested in Iskandar (through Temasek) so it's definitely not in their interests for the region to fail.

Geedee - I can't honestly say I blame you. The hours you're working are bonkers and the travelling would be driving me nuts.

Bakedbean - everyone still works long hours here but the salaries are not the same as they used to be and most people are not on packages anymore. Saving? What's that?!?!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ex Reg - until around December last year the border wasn't a problem.

Geedee - I can't honestly say I blame you. The hours you're working are bonkers and the travelling would be driving me nuts.
Bocat, cast your mind back... the first major issue was November.

Yes, I blame me too. But, I don't get to the office until 10 (to miss the jams going in) so feel guilty for leaving at 4.... which means I miss the window. Used to be that I could leave at around 7.30 and it wouldn't be too bad when hitting the border at 8. Lately the border is solid until, well, 10pm! Starting at 5.... crackers.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Geedee - I said I CAN'T blame you!! I meant for thinking about chucking it all in!

And yes you're right it was November. We'd been living here for around 18 months at that point and hadn't had any major problems up until then.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some of you lot don't know you're born, like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25551393
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:10 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Alarm on at 03.30 oh Lordy, Lordy
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, a couple weeks on and no improvement that I've noticed.

I have started pitching up at the office at 0930 (ish) and leaving at 4. Do a couple of hours at home. I have a very understanding boss and I am soon to be based in Malaysia..... S'pore can kiss goodbye to my $20 a day for lunch!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:19 pm

Really?? Wow....I guess that solves some decisions that you were going to make? So how does that work? Working from home or based somewhere in Malaysia? Sounds like good news anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.