Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Something wrong at the Singapore border?

Something wrong at the Singapore border?

Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:55 am
Eus
Just Joined

Eus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Something wrong at the Singapore border?

If you get there before 17.15 - 17.30 it is ok-ish. Later (I went through at 20.00 on Thursday on the bike) and it is BAD.

Morning you need to be there before 5.45/6.00 and then it is OK-ish, after that it seems to build up very rapidly.

Not sure if it has to do with the Woodlands issue, I bet if all booths are open it would go a hell of a lot faster. Maybe it is just a personnel/budget related issue.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Singmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Eus,

It's surprising that queue starts to build up so early, even at 5:45-6am. I'm assuming most people start work at 9am... I wonder what's the rush for people to cross the border so early..!?

This morning it was back to normal again.. thank goodness.. I hope this week will be better...!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I think Eus rides in. If you hit S'pore after 0545 (maybe a bit earlier) you are in for a gruelling start to the day.....! In a car I think you'll be OK up to around 0730.
Coming home.... the bikes are holding the cars up.... see how they're reduced to one lane because of the bikes? It's why I'm sat here in the office....
Attached Thumbnails Something wrong at the Singapore border?-tuas.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:27 pm
Eus
Just Joined

Eus is an unknown quantity at this point

I am usually on the bike at least till we get our second car. And it is crazy how early it starts. The bikes are mostly shipyard workers I would say and they start early. The cars starting early are likely just people trying to beat the worst traffic or early starters.

I have always been an early starter even without traffic.

The worst of the wait is the exhaust fumes you're sitting in, can't be healthy even though I'm a petrolhead
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a week-long holiday for local Singapore schools. Started last Saturday 15th March and will end Sunday 23rd March. Could be the reason why the traffic into Johor is terrible at both checkpoints.
If it's any help in order for all to somehow anticipate their crossings into Singapore and Johor, you could look at the Ministry of Education's website for a list of all the school holidays: http://www.moe.gov.sg/schools/terms-and-holidays/
As for the Malaysia school holidays, I look at this site: http://www.onestopmalaysia.com/holidays-2014.html It also integrates the Singapore schools' holidays.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links, Froggy, but I don't think school hols explains what appears to be a massive increase in mopeds! I don't think it's that.... I arrived at the S'pore border at 2050 tonight.... I got past the booth at 2125. About 75% of the booths were closed.

Eus, I know what you mean about the fumes.... some of them just won't switch their engines off. Obviously needed to shift that 2 metres ahead....
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello geedee, I had a double take at the word "mopeds," I thought I read "a massive increase in muppets!" That's what I get for seeing your post earlier this morning…
Then if it's not school hols, then it could be a Singapore ICA in dire need of more manpower.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Singmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Froggy,

Holiday explains the madness at the border last Friday... I did see a lot of cars with families that day. On top of that, I think there are more people using 2nd link after the breach of security happened in Woodland.

This morning, I noticed that officers were checking the trunk before passport counters in D1 gate. I suppose they did it thinking that it would ease the flow of traffic but seemed like it made it worse!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Got past the Malaysia border this morning and almost ran smack into the back of a jam!! Worst I've ever seen, stretched almost to the land!! That was around 0845. My wife says it's made facebook!!
When I eventually got to a booth, the lady told me that they were using the "new" software again..... oh dear.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm now more glad than ever I didn't decide to do an Iskandar, and stayed put in Singapore. What with the falling rentals expected over the next couple of years (massive oversupply in the pipeline), it really just isn't worth the hassle of braving the jams in the morning & evening!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Froggybarnacle2000
Hello geedee, I had a double take at the word "mopeds," I thought I read "a massive increase in muppets!"
Same thing Froggy!!

Originally Posted by xizzles
I'm now more glad than ever I didn't decide to do an Iskandar, and stayed put in Singapore. What with the falling rentals expected over the next couple of years (massive oversupply in the pipeline), it really just isn't worth the hassle of braving the jams in the morning & evening!
Well, it's not like that all the time.... we had a couple of weeks in November when they introduced new software, and it looks like they've brought it back in now. They dumped it last time (must have been a wall of complaints) so let's hope they do the same again.... if that is the reason, of course.
Even if the rents dropped to the same level as over here (still expensive!) we'd be staying, despite the horror commute! The kid's school's here, so we're sort of tied.... there are pros and cons to both places, depends what you're looking for really
But, we are having a serious discussion about calling it a day and getting back to Canada or the UK..... no regrets (nothing ventured, nothing gained) but time's too short to be whining all the time, and that's all I seem to do lately!

Last edited by geedee; Mar 18th 2014 at 12:57 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Not getting any better... our trusty taxi firm said a pick up at the airport Friday night got to Sing border about 8:30pm, Q back to the tunnel, 2 and a half hours to get through the S'pore side. Malaysia side fine....
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Straight through the Malaysian booths yesterday.

45 min wait with cars driving up the inside bus lane to get to the front of the queue with no action by Singapore immigration yesterday.

Isn't anyone in Singapore embarrassed by this.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex reg
Isn't anyone in Singapore embarrassed by this.
Nobody in S'pore will know about it (except the unfortunates going over the border). It won't make the news.

Last edited by geedee; Mar 23rd 2014 at 2:42 pm. Reason: Likely to get me detained (again) at the border!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Nobody in S'pore will know about it (except the unfortunates going over the border). It won't make the news.
Of course it's in the news .
It's all over the car websites, all the time.

Even on the rajo and on the TV now and again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.