Renting in Johor Bahru.

Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of
Default Renting in Johor Bahru.

Hello all BE member,

Happy New Year! Gong Hey Fat Choi!

Any property guru(s) in JB can share some light on term & condition of renting a place in JB? My questions are how long is the normal agreement we have to sign? 1 yr or can be done like the UK for 6 mnths?

We not planning to rent for long term. We'll eventually end up buying a place there once everything settle down.

Good news is my new employer in SG give us 2 weeks free accommodation in SG how generous.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

evop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really nice
Default Re: Renting in Johor Bahru.

I think the normal term is 2 years. You should be able to negotiate for a shorter term, as there is plenty of inventory.

Talk the agents at the beginning about the term you want, even though there is lots of inventory - some people won't consider a short term lease.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

We found it so much easier in HK.
When we first went there it was a hotel for a week then a pilot and wife went back to UK for a month and we rented their apartment from them.
Then a teacher and his family were off to UK for a couple of months so we moved there.
OK furniture was waiting in storage and we had to change accomm 4 times in all but we had a good look around.
The missus even had the use of the old tank style Volvo from the pilot and even though she'd never driven in HK before, she was out and about in it like no one's business. I was amazed as she's not a keen driver.

It's a balance between wanting to stabilze yourselves and making sure you get the best deal and the place you like.

When we moved to JB we found lots of really nice places which we'd never seen from our frequent drives through JB from Sing to Desaru, Malacca and KL.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by curiouscat
I think the normal term is 2 years. You should be able to negotiate for a shorter term, as there is plenty of inventory.

Talk the agents at the beginning about the term you want, even though there is lots of inventory - some people won't consider a short term lease.
Thats a bit long isn't it? I dont think it will take us long to settle in JB, I would say 6-10 mnths. Is it the same term in SG?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Thats a bit long isn't it? I dont think it will take us long to settle in JB, I would say 6-10 mnths. Is it the same term in SG?
Normally 2 year lets in Singapore.
1 year is possible but as the agent is paid accordingly he tends to push for the longest period.

Short term lets in Singapore can be had but it is more difficult to agree them than JB.

Some expats will take say a 12 month let and then do a runner after say 3 months, but that's obviously not the case if they are locked in to a corporate let.
It's a minefield both for the landlord and the tenant.
And you haven't got into the Letting Agreement yet.

My missus used to be an agent for a few years.
She was the only honest agent we've met :-)

Last edited by ex reg; Jan 23rd 2012 at 5:07 am.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ex reg
Normally 2 year lets in Singapore.
1 year is possible but as the agent is paid accordingly he tends to push for the longest period.

Short term lets in Singapore can be had but it is more difficult to agree them than JB.

Some expats will take say a 12 month let and then do a runner after say 3 months, but that's obviously not the case if they are locked in to a corporate let.
It's a minefield both for the landlord and the tenant.
And you haven't got into the Letting Agreement yet.

My missus used to be an agent for a few years.
She was the only honest agent we've met :-)
Hi ex reg, thanks for the info mate. I'm not sure about do a runner option will work but I can assure you that our accommodation only pay for 2 weeks by the company, so not tie in by corporate. I think its might be a lot easier for us to stay in SG for the time been.

I know this is out of the topic a bit any recommendation on what can I get in Jurong west area or near the Second link?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Just had visitors leave and just off out ourselves so no time to think about things until tomorrow.

Are you more interested in Jurong West or in Malaysia close to the 2nd Link or haven't you decided and want to check out both options.

As I think bb mentioned in another thread the prices in Malaysia will be about half that of Singapore.
So with the xchange rate at 2.45 you'll get a 3 bed Condo in Jurong West for say S$4.5k per month and a 3 bed condo over in Malaysia near the second link for MYR 4.5k per month or maybe less.

They are ball park figures and I'm not into it in a big way but I would think I'm not that far our not by a factor of 2 anyway.
Others may differ.

Anyway I'll get back to you if you can maybe give an answer to those questions above.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Just had visitors leave and just off out ourselves so no time to think about things until tomorrow.

Are you more interested in Jurong West or in Malaysia close to the 2nd Link or haven't you decided and want to check out both options.

As I think bb mentioned in another thread the prices in Malaysia will be about half that of Singapore.
So with the xchange rate at 2.45 you'll get a 3 bed Condo in Jurong West for say S$4.5k per month and a 3 bed condo over in Malaysia near the second link for MYR 4.5k per month or maybe less.

They are ball park figures and I'm not into it in a big way but I would think I'm not that far our not by a factor of 2 anyway.
Others may differ.

Anyway I'll get back to you if you can maybe give an answer to those questions above.
Hi ex reg

Yes we'll try both options. There are something that concern us is that will it effect our EP visa? Can we send our children to Singapore school? In the long run will it make any financial sense ($20 VEP + toll)? If we live in JB.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:36 am
Just Joined

gregoryhi is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Renting in Johor Bahru.

Hi ex reg

Yes we'll try both options. There are something that concern us is that will it effect our EP visa? Can we send our children to Singapore school? In the long run will it make any financial sense ($20 VEP + toll)? If we live in JB.
Hi Harlow Lad,

i got a Horizon hills cluster house facing golf view and greeney from Bukit Indah (5 mins drive away from three shopping malls)

perfect for family.

if you travelled by coastal highway by car, you will need only 20mins to reach secondlink or 35mins to reach woodland.

as everyone who stay in johor shared me, although you pay the tolls but save much more on the food costs and cheaper petrol and the best thing is it is so much relaxed and refreshing than staying in singapore.

EP issue should not be the a problem especially many expats working in Singapore are staying here in horizon hills as well.

the previous owner is from holland and he love it here, thus i believe you will love it too. i am considering to rent it out.

so i am okay with short term (6-10mths)
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Seems to me gregoryhi is an agent.
Nothing wrong with that.

But Harlow Lad let me see if I have your situation correct.

You have a job in Singapore.
You have not lived/worked in Singapore before.
You have children of school age
For reasons of economy you are considering living in JB
Eventually you will settle long term and buy property maybe in JB maybe in Singapore.

If all the above are correct then:
The features which will decide where you live are your job location, your children's school location and your remuneration package.

My thoughts are you may be trying to juggle too many balls at present.

It's difficult enough deciding where to live based on job location and children's schooling. Throwing possible savings by living in Malaysia into the mix make the problem unsolvable. Too many unknown variables, imo.
Why not settle in Singapore for a period, you can perhaps get a shorter term lease if you push for it.
Then you can explore the options of living in JB and schooling in JB at your leisure once you have settled here.
I don't think a 2 week stay at your employer's cost is anywhere near long enough for you to make decisions about living in Malaysia.
I just googled and came up with this site, I hope it's OK to copy an url here just to give you an idea what is available. You can change the area and price range to look at alternatives.

http://property.st701.com/properties...ingapore/page1
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Nothing wrong with that.

Eventually you will settle long term and buy property maybe in JB maybe in Singapore.

The features which will decide where you live are your job location, your children's school location and your remuneration package.

It's difficult enough deciding where to live based on job location and children's schooling. Throwing possible savings by living in Malaysia into the mix make the problem unsolvable. Too many unknown variables, imo.
Why not settle in Singapore for a period, you can perhaps get a shorter term lease if you push for it.
Then you can explore the options of living in JB and schooling in JB at your leisure once you have settled here.
I don't think a 2 week stay at your employer's cost is anywhere near long enough for you to make decisions about living in Malaysia.
I just googled and came up with this site, I hope it's OK to copy an url here just to give you an idea what is available. You can change the area and price range to look at alternatives.

Hi, ex reg,

(SNIP)

i am extremely passionate about property investment especially in Singapore, Iskandar and KL.

you are right to invest in Malaysia or Singapore needs a lot of planning, understanding and huge outlays of $$$ especially you are foreigners.

(SNIP)

so if you guys wanna invest a property, you better be sure what you are in for.

just wanna have a win win situation for everyone.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 8th 2012 at 9:22 am. Reason: Advertise in classifieds please, not on the forum
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes for all the above.

And yes I'm juggle too many balls at the mo make me headache.

Our plan is arrive in SG a week in advance before I commence work. Just to look for a proper accommodation.

To be honest with you the reason we planning to live in JB is because at least we can afford to live in a house rather than condo. Again buying in Singapore is 2.5 time dearer than JB, but thats a bit far to mention at the mo.

The only thing I love to know is the SG estate agent as enthusiasm as the UK one? In terms of help us look around.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Yes for all the above.

And yes I'm juggle too many balls at the mo make me headache.

Our plan is arrive in SG a week in advance before I commence work. Just to look for a proper accommodation.

To be honest with you the reason we planning to live in JB is because at least we can afford to live in a house rather than condo. Again buying in Singapore is 2.5 time dearer than JB, but thats a bit far to mention at the mo.

The only thing I love to know is the SG estate agent as enthusiasm as the UK one? In terms of help us look around.
i can recommend one of my agents to ya. she is a good friend of mine, if you wanna rent a unit in Singapore..
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Nothing wrong with that.

Hi hi,

i love my unit but i cannot find time to use it frequently due to my busy schedule therefore, i decide to rent out for a short period of time.

(SNIP)
For your information, if you want to invest a property in singapore, you must remember the restriction is strict for foreigners.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 8th 2012 at 9:23 am.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:32 am
Just Joined

btw i am not an agent. i am the owner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.