Possible move to JB from UK

Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:33 pm
Pbc
Just Joined

Pbc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible move to JB from UK

My husband has been offered a 3 year contract in JB and we are seriously considering it. We are not exactly young (early 50s) but this seems like an ideal time for us. Our friends and family seem to think it is a great opportunity.
We would be keeping our house in the uk for our student kids to use, and renting in JB so we don't have anything to lose really.
At present we are considering renting a condo in JB because I want to be in the thick of things rather than on a housing estate. The package offered to my husband doesn't include a car. Does anyone have any experience of long term car rental? Or would we be better buying a car?
Any advice from you all would be very welcome.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to JB from UK

Will JB be you and your husband's first overseas posting?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

kenle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pbc
My husband has been offered a 3 year contract in JB and we are seriously considering it. We are not exactly young (early 50s) but this seems like an ideal time for us. Our friends and family seem to think it is a great opportunity.
We would be keeping our house in the uk for our student kids to use, and renting in JB so we don't have anything to lose really.
At present we are considering renting a condo in JB because I want to be in the thick of things rather than on a housing estate. The package offered to my husband doesn't include a car. Does anyone have any experience of long term car rental? Or would we be better buying a car?
I would suggest you to buy a car.
The Malaysia Make car is from MYR 30000.
But you can buy the average car at MYR 50,000.
You can sell it after 2 years, maybe lose 20-30%.

I think a condo will be good for you in security wise.
You can search a house or condo from here : www.mudah.my
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:09 pm
Pbc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
Will JB be you and your husband's first overseas posting?
Yes although my husband did live in Pakistan as a child because his father worked there
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I asked because imo anyway, JB isn't typical of other cities in Malaysia and I wouldn't read threads about those and think those comments applied to JB.
There are a few on here who are moving to Nusajaya as you will see if you read the Nusajaya thread
I've lived in Singapore on and off for 30 odd years and lived and worked in JB for 18 months about 22 years ago.
Although there're lots of things about JB that has been upgraded over the last 22 years imo it's a rougher place than it was.
The thick of things in JB might not really suit and I'm not too sure of many condos in the city centre.
The guys from Nusajaya will give you an idea of life in and around that area where there are houses and condos but it must be a 30 min drive from JB center.

I love JB but don't go across the causeway as often as I want to because of problems happening to Singapore cars there. This may be apocryphal or not.
The missus has no qualms about going there to get her hair done and I don't accompany her so it's probably fine.

I think there are five Tescos now in JB, but you shouldn't think they will be similar to UK style Tescos or have the variety and quality of food.
There are some nice places to live close to JB center but you have to look hard. When I lived there there were six UK families in our company housed in various areas close to the center and at that time I thought all the houses were very nice, most of them were semi D's.
Buying a car versus renting/leasing is not an easy decision in JB. There are loads of taxis and now they even have meters in them. Public transport though is not great.
My info is a bit background rather than detailed but the other guys will advise you on that.

If you are fit I don't think your age should make any difference whatsoever.

Are you or your husband going to visit before you make your final decision?

I think I'm usually considered as being a bit negative when giving advice to people looking to transfer to the region. I look at it as being realistic as it is a big decision which might be made in the euphoric belief that it will be better than where you are now or, '3 years, it's just a long holiday'.

Any other queries I'll be only too glad to help as I'm sure others on here will.

Last edited by ex reg; Aug 30th 2012 at 6:50 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:34 am
Pbc
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

Exreg, I appreciate your comments, but you have raised more questions. When you say that JB is not like other cities in Malaysia what do you mean? More crime, more sleaziness, less facilities or what?
We are not looking for something 'better' than the UK - what we have here is pretty good but quite boring. We are looking for something 'different' and I'm guessing that JB is as different as it gets. You are right in some respects about the dangers of thinking of it as a 3 year holiday, but we do intend to use the opportunity to travel to places that it is a real trek to get to from the UK like Japan and Australia.
We don't plan to visit before we make a decision but the company will provide accommodation at first so that we will have an chance to look at various areas before we decide where to rent. Maybe living a little way out maybe less 'full on'.
I have looked at Permas Jaya - it seems to have some decent condos and is on the East of the city which is where my husband would be working. Any views on this area would be appreciated. I did read that a singaporean man's family was kidnapped in this area last year, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
I must admit that I have days when I am really positive about the prospect of a move and days when i just think 'what are we doing?!!' .
I am a teacher, by the way, and thought I could look for work at one of the international schools once we are settled. Are the schools dotted all over or are they in a particular area?
Sorry for lots of questions - looking forward to the replies.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pbc - I'm one of the (recent) Nusajaya dwellers so if you have any questions about over this way please ask. (We were in Singapore for almost 4 years before that).

For me personally - I'd rather live over this way or in Singapore than in JB. (Not sure if living in Singapore is an option for you with hubby commuting? Singapore would also offer more job opportunities for you.) That said I've only been to JB a few times - but honestly I have no desire to go back. But I'm not a city girl - even in Singapore we lived in the sticks - so maybe I'm not the best person to ask! I just find JB a bit overwhelming. I hate driving there - I get lost every time.

Anyway - again don't want to just sound negative and obviously everyone likes different things - but hopefully some of the JB residents can help you out.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

When we lived there I loved it but that was 20 odd years ago.
I still love day trips there.

I'm retired for 14 years now but if I was working still and asked to move there then I'd think long and hard. That's not to say I wouldn't accept. But the job would have to be beneficial in monetary terms and progress up the 'greasy ladder'

I'd say make every effort to get a trip to JB before you make a decision even if you have to pay for it yourself. Not something I usually advocate on here.

Look there are quite a few on this forum who really like living there but they live there and the husband works in Singapore.

You can look at Google earth and see many photos of the place.

There are accommodation sites which will show you the range of accommodation.

There is one site which has much more discussion on JB than this forum it would take you days to read a quarter of the posts but I'm not gonna link that because I don't think it would benefit.

I hope more posters will come and give their opinions because that might help you.

On why is it different:
hmmm:
I've worked in KL, traffic jams then and worse now but do able and plenty of ex pats.

I've holidayed in Penang, Malacca, Kuantan and places in Johore state. Because those are holiday destinations there's a different 'vibe'.
JB isn't a holiday destination and doesn't have that many ex pats.
I like living close to locals in fact I'd rather that than living too close to ex pats but it is easier if you don't have much experience overseas to find your feet in an ex pat community.

I say again I'm not trying to put you off, I don't know you and obviously have no idea of how you view life, security and living generally.

If you have good teaching quals and experience I'd've thought getting a job in the international schools in JB would not be difficult.

Good luck and only too willing to answer further queries.

Just having read Bocat's post I'd say I think you'd be happier living on the west side of JB rather than close to the city center or the east side which is a bit less developed housing wise. Tough luck on your husband having to commute. I guess he might be working in Pasir Gudang. There has been some housing development in that area recently but I'm not familiar with what has been done.

Last edited by ex reg; Aug 31st 2012 at 11:23 am.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:08 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Think you would do best listening to someone living in Johor quite honestly. I used to live in Singapore and you get brainwashed into thinking that Johor is a hellhole. I know. I fell for it too.'All countries have their own propaganda.

I have retired friend here in Penang who goes down to JB every month and he says it had changed beyond recognition.

Hope that curiouscat will come on with some info as he is on the spot
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:12 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi exreg,

just curious but you don't wish to live near expats
but you love to be on an expat forum and you are an expat too, right? Strange.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi

Think you would do best listening to someone living in Johor quite honestly. I used to live in Singapore and you get brainwashed into thinking that Johor is a hellhole. I know. I fell for it too.'All countries have their own propaganda.

I have retired friend here in Penang who goes down to JB every month and he says it had changed beyond recognition.

Hope that curiouscat will come on with some info as he is on the spot
Curiouscat has a really good blog about JB. The original poster shoud Google it.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 3:29 am

He'll probably be on here before too long. Yes he's got a lot of good info about JB and Johor...good to have someone on here with that knowledge
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

gregoryhi is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been an avivd investor in Iskandar Johor, i dun enjoy staying in Singapore at all. it is very crowded and noisy but of course, you can get much more thing around in Singapore compared to Johor. but Iskandar is changing fast. Bukit Indah and Nusajaya are changing so much. you wont regret there for sure. i love the fresh air in Johor and enjoy, going to Singapore once a while for some city life. Johor bahru (city centre) is very messy and i doubt most expats will like this place at all and condos in JB sucks. Ujana in East Ledang is getting its TOP. you guys can consider it.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:06 am
Banned

mizzlina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pbc
I think you shoud by a 2nd hand car instead of a brand new one in msia. you save more money!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:34 pm
Pbc
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice. We are coming to JB on a visit in early October to have a look round before we sign on the dotted line. If all goes well we will be heading out in the New Year. Another recruit for the Johor International Ladies Group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.