Moving from SG to JB

Old Mar 19th 2016, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Hrolfr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving from SG to JB

Hi,

This board is a gold mine of informations !
I'm currently living in SG, with an EP, so does my wife.
We would like to move in JB, and continue to work in SG.
(as a lot of people here, so it would seems )

I have some questions I did not find answer of:

- Will it cause a pb (in 2016) if I bring a truck full of furnitures, with movers, from SG to JB, with nothing more than a Tourist pass for Msia ? (do I absolutely need an EP ?)

- Is it still possible (in 2016) to rent in JB with only an EP in SG ?

- Is it still possible (in 2016) to subscribe to utilities (electricity/water/fibre), with only the passport as an ID ? (no malaysian EP)

- Can a 3-Yo boy get a "student pass" (I've seen there was no limit of age) ?

- If so, can both his parents get a LTSVP (12 month) ? is it renewable ?

Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:26 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from SG to JB

Hello and welcome to the forum

I think you need a MACS card, don't you? Have a browse through this section.
Anyway, hopefully some JB folks will be around to answer your questions later. Hope it all works out for you.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi H

- Will it cause a pb (in 2016) if I bring a truck full of furnitures, with movers, from SG to JB, with nothing more than a Tourist pass for Msia ? (do I absolutely need an EP ?)

Whats' a PB?? You may have to pay duty, ask a moving company, they'll know

- Is it still possible (in 2016) to rent in JB with only an EP in SG ?

Yes, and your passport may be needed

- Is it still possible (in 2016) to subscribe to utilities (electricity/water/fibre), with only the passport as an ID ? (no malaysian EP)

Yes

- Can a 3-Yo boy get a "student pass" (I've seen there was no limit of age) ?

Not sure but in our case the school made the application

- If so, can both his parents get a LTSVP (12 month) ? is it renewable ?

Yes, but not really needed.... a MACS pass will do (there's a thread about it somewhere)

Good luck!

Last edited by geedee; Mar 20th 2016 at 2:36 am.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your quick replies !

About the moving I was more concerned about the reaction of the customs, if I told them I'm a tourist, while bringing all my furnitures with me lol That's the major problem I'm afraid could happen.

About the Student Pass / LTSVP yes I know about the MACS, but it still is not a full visa.
If I have the opportunity to do it, it will still be "safer" than without it.
Or am I missing something ?

That's very nice about the rest of your answers. I will begin to visit some condo next month. Is there some places I should avoid (=unsafe), in JB ?
What about Taman Molek ?

Again, thank you so much for your answers, it really help.
SG is too expansive nowadays..
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I only go across to JB when we are driving somewhere for a holiday or a quick visit for something.
The jam on both sides both ways does my 'ead in.
Yesterday my missus went across to JB to 'get her hair done'.
It took three hours in one direction and two hours when returning.
When I used to live and work in JB 25 years ago I was back and forth across the causeway every day sometimes twice a day but the queues weren't as long then.

Even if we had nice accom with no rent to pay we wouldn't live in JB these days.
It's not only that but the life style etc etc. has many things not suitable for us. And I'm not considering security which is over exagerated, imo.

Now I love Malaysia and the people but will never live there.

Just my 2 cents which I'm sure many will disagree with but is sometimes worth posting.
But good luck.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Hi ex reg,

Thank you for your answer.
Actually we're considering using the train (from JB sentral to Woodlands train checkpoint = 5 minutes) to cross the border. I don't even want to try crossing by car. ;-)
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Trains don't run that regularly.
Last night the missus missed the 7pm and the next one was 9pm.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone knows of a way to bring furnitures from Singapore to JB with a tourist visa only ?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

H
The info I gave above assumes you have a UK passport or another that can get a 90 day visa on arrival.... not sure if it's harder to get a MACS without that.

Good luck anyway!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Yes my passport allows me a 90 day visa on arrival, and I can get a MACS without pb.
But I do not know how to proceed from that (I do not have any car in Singapore).

As far as I know, I can bring small object through MACS lanes on foot, in my baggages.
But what about beds, drawer chest, and such ?

Should I search for a transporter ?
Old May 8th 2016, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Moving from SG to JB

Hi,

Thank you so much, but I have already found a 3BR with a beautifull sea view.
(2BR would have been too small for us anyway !)

Now seeking for a car loan, but it seems difficult.
Maybe we'll rent a car but the offers I've seen are too expansive.
Old May 8th 2016, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

AhXiong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hrolfr
Hi,

Thank you so much, but I have already found a 3BR with a beautifull sea view.
(2BR would have been too small for us anyway !)

Now seeking for a car loan, but it seems difficult.
Maybe we'll rent a car but the offers I've seen are too expansive.
No problem mate
Old May 8th 2016, 11:08 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again. Sorry but the board doesn't allow any advertising (unless it's paid advertising hahaha). Check out the Classified tabs up on the top blue bar (top of page). You can place an ad for your property in there for free, but not on the open forum. (There's a list of Site Rules on the pink bar up above if you want to read.)

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 9th 2016 at 8:20 am. Reason: Quote removed as post has been deleted
Old May 9th 2016, 12:30 am
Just Joined

AhXiong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hello again. Sorry but the board doesn't allow any advertising (unless it's paid advertising hahaha). Check out the Classified tabs up on the top blue bar (top of page). You can place an ad for your property in there for free, but not on the open forum. (There's a list of Site Rules on the pink bar up above if you want to read.)
I'm sorry. I will take note of it.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AhXiong
I'm sorry. I will take note of it.
If I'm not mistaken is it OK if you send a PM (personal message) to another member if you have something to offer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.