Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Moving to Malaysia (JB)...any advice please????

Moving to Malaysia (JB)...any advice please????

Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future
Default Moving to Malaysia (JB)...any advice please????

Hi there,

I'm moving to Johor Bahru in just under 6 weeks and pretty much feeling totally unprepared! Never been out of Europe in my life and am not sure what I've let myself into....

I've got a job working in JB and have accommodation / bills paid for and a company car. Need to sort out a Malaysian Bank Acc to have my wages paid into - any advice how to go about this?

Any other advice on living and working in Malasyia would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks.

Mark
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Malaysia (JB)...any advice please????

Originally Posted by mnicol
Hi there,

I'm moving to Johor Bahru in just under 6 weeks and pretty much feeling totally unprepared! Never been out of Europe in my life and am not sure what I've let myself into....

I've got a job working in JB and have accommodation / bills paid for and a company car. Need to sort out a Malaysian Bank Acc to have my wages paid into - any advice how to go about this?

Thanks.

Mark
Wow JB.

You are in for a shock.

Worked and lived there for a while 17 years ago.

Some nice accomodation still available but make sure it's in a secure compound. Really.
Some nice malls and supermarkets for food.

If you want then you could read up some of the threads on http://www.expatsingapore.com/
or http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/ which although its generally about Singapore there are lots of threads concerning JB.
Mind you reading the mcf threads might make you change your mind about JB.

You won't have a problem with Malaysian banks and your company will help you with that.
Hotels in JB aren't great but hopefully your company will put you up in one and let you find your own accomodation yourself rather than do it for you before you arrive.

We now live in Singapore and used to visit JB regularly for the cheaper shopping, cheaper and different food and cheaper petrol.
But security issues are now a concern and although if you don't do anything stupid like walking down dark alleys late at night and suchlike you'll be OK we rarely go to JB now.
Although my wife does go there more often than me. Seems strange that. I don't want to put you off but don't think that because it's next door to Singapore it will be the same.
It ain't by a long chalk.
Are you going alone or with your family?

Anyway you'll probably have a great time and think I'm totally wrong, but its just a heads up, is that what its called.
Good luck.
Anything I can help you with specifically I will, just ask.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:56 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Be good if you can get some replies from those in JB. I've not been there but, as previous poster says, you do hear some real horror stories but maybe there is a touch of Singapore propaganda, I don't know.

A friend of ours has just moved there to retire (from Singapore) and he seems to like it.

Come on, let's have some JB residents commenting.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:40 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Advice? Get a gun. As Karen says, we love to bitch about the place but we do hear a lot about carjacking.

I've only been a couple of times in my early days here - new expat wives hear about the shopping and think it'll be a lark to go over the bridge for a day. It's not, actually it's a bit of a hell hole in the city at least, and all you can get is dodgy DVDs and bad copy handbags.

Sorry to be so negative, but you might want to look at gated communities.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

unconnected is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mnicol
Hi there,

Thanks.

Mark
JB... not so sure...
But if you ask me Kuala Lumpur, i can answer you
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

geofflloydhull1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by unconnected
JB... not so sure...
But if you ask me Kuala Lumpur, i can answer you
hi please let me have the low down on KL i will be new to the area onlived in singapor as a kid and that was in the 60's !!!