Moving to JB from Singapore

Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:07 am
Just Joined

apollo_69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to JB from Singapore

Hey guys, I'm a UK citizen living/working in Singapore 2 years now with PEP status. I want to relocate to JB to keep my costs down and just wanted to check how it works. Can I come into Malaysia on a normal tourist visa, or do I need a special residential pass to bring my stuff through?

My girlfriend's Singaporean, so if there's less restrictions on them living in Malaysia, would it make sense to bring her along?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to JB from Singapore

Hi apollo and welcome to the forum. There should be some JB experts along soon but, in the meantime , you might like to browse thru this forum and the Singapore forum, as there's been some similar threads of late. I guess everyones got the same idea
Old Nov 29th 2011, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Apollo 69

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions but we're considering the same thing - living in the Nusajaya area - just over the Tuas Link.

Where are you considering living?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Apollo, there's a thread here that Bocat started Living in Nusajaya - Working in Singapore

Also this thread covers exactly what you are asking
Commute between JB and Singapore everyday life
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks yeah I read that thread but didn't see any specifics to my question, also I'm looking just to rent in a flatshare not buy (currently rent in SG is 1400/month, in JB would be less than half for a similar space)....

I guess I'm looking for somewhere near the CIQ and walking distance to shops, pref condo with security but other than that no real preference....won't be commuting everyday as I work from home, so that's one plus!

Hey Bocat please let me know if you find a decent mover and what are the requirements for shipping stuff across the border, I'll do the same and update on here
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Will do and thanks
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:49 am
Just Joined

vpinjb is an unknown quantity at this point

Apollo,

If you come across the causeway into JB, they usually give UK passport holders a 90 day social visit pass. Obviously, this would not entitle you to get a job here but by the sound of it, that's not relevant.

There are plenty of condo's dotted around the outskirts of the town, and most seem to have vacancies most of the time. Condo rent is in the RM1500-3000 range.

Hope this helps...
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks, would it be an issue getting through customs with all my stuff on a social visit pass? Or do you need a special residency pass?

How do Brits with a SG work pass do it? There must be a few on here!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

teck21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

There are currently a lot of people 'living' in Johor on a social visit pass. I will be doing the same when my place in Horizon Hills is ready in a few months.

Seems to be something Malaysian authorities are tolerating for now since they are keenly aware of the need for foreign investment now without too many restrictions. Especially since it is clear that most of us who live there, or plan to live there are not planning to engage in illegal employment or something.

Kind of like what Singapore was like years and years ago too, when it pretty much allowed unlimited visa runs. Of course now that Singapore's all developed, they no longer allow people to 'live' here on social visit passes anymore.

I did consider the MM2H scheme for convenience, but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot for me atm, so I'll pass on it for now.