Looking for rentals in Johor

Old May 4th 2014, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

alufolie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for rentals in Johor

Hello I’m new to forum * wave*

My other half and I are currently living and working in Singapore but are finding it a struggling to justify our rent here and yearning for space and as our two year lease is coming to an end we’re hopping over to Johor to find a new home to rent.

Sorry to bombard with lots of question - I was just wondering if anyone could offer feedback (if anyone has any about the estates we saw today) or even recommend other places to check out over the next 8 weeks.

Firstly we went to Senibong Cove, we found that we got quite a to of space and the finishes of the property was nice. However I’m wondering what the queue is like Woodlands checkpoint versus the Tuas checkpoint in the morning. (Is there an optimal time to head over the checkpoints in the morning?)

Next we jetted to Horizon Hills - really liked it - nice cluster home, but we didn’t see any shared amenities such as a pool or a playground for the kids (maybe i missed it) Can anyone enlighten me?

Finally we headed over to Leisure Farm. Our first reaction was ooooohhh - i loved the entrance and the 36 hole golf course looked epic. The novelty for us for the equestrian centre. We looked at the Water bungalows, however I noticed it was completely dead today at the club houses (sunday) - there was no one around and the townhouses on either side were vacant - and I felt a bit on edge. Does anyone here live in LF and how do you find it?

Also it seemed we took a road through the country side from Leisure Farm to get back to the Tuas link. I feel this could be pretty scary at night time if I had to drive? I’m a bit of a nervous nelly.

Anyway I’m torn between the three. I guess I’m looking for one that has a great expat community for us to make friends, where I feel safe and has some nice facilities (swimming pool and playground for kids etc)

Thanks very much, Anna

Last edited by alufolie; May 4th 2014 at 3:16 pm.
Old May 4th 2014, 3:01 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for rentals in Johor

Just to say to the forum.
Old May 5th 2014, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alufolie,

We're at LF. One of the reasons I chose this place was the good security. It is a bit "lonely" where we are, not the sort of place you can just walk around to your neighbour for a coffee.

The club house has been pretty dead every time we've been there... it's supposed to be under new management now but I don't know if it's improved.

HH is a busy place, and lots of kids around, so I've heard. It felt a bit too packed for me when I looked, but that might be a good thing.... at least you'll have neighbours!

You might want to look at Ledang Heights and East Ledang, right next door to each other and really well positioned.

There's another thread you might want to look at with some good info:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801709

Good luck!
Old May 5th 2014, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Hi Alufolie,

We in Bayou Water Village, Leisure Farm (a.k.a Water bungalows). Depend on personal choice really. We move here ditto to geedee for the quietness and fresh air. I have to agree on the inconvenient access to the estate. We sort of get use to it now. Good news is they building a new access right in front of the gate connected to the highway. Due to complete by end of this year so they said.

Have fun hunting!
Old May 5th 2014, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi Harlow Lad & Gee Dee.

Thanks for the advice We've narrowed it down to Senibong and LF - but 90% looks like we've decided on Leisure Farm ourselves (Water Village) The bungalows are awesome & the view of the country side from the patio was fab - It's good to know that people actually live in the precinct Have you ever had worries with security there?

Some more questions: Do you both work in Singapore or Johor Bahru? Do you drive or bus, or drive? Any idea on average how long does it take to get through the TUAS checkpoint in the morning? We drive and theoretically if we were at LF, plan to leave at 5:45am and leave the office (singas) at about 4:30am. Any advice about what time we should leave?

Last edited by alufolie; May 5th 2014 at 11:55 pm.
Old May 6th 2014, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Alufolie, I am never worried about security here... the guards are all ex-Ghurkas! And they do take security seriously.... I was looking at the water village but got told by two agents we would not be allowed a dog, which ruled it out for us.
I work in S'pore, commuting on a bike, but due to recent jams at Tuas have agreed with my boss that I can base myself from home and go in only when necessary.
Cars have different jam times to bikes.... the car backlog seems to start at the S',pore border around 0730 ish, and coming back the jam starts around 1700 or so... with the times you're thinking of you will probably be OK.
There are a couple of threads about commuting and the border crossing that you may want to read.
There is also a shortcut getting to the border from LF.... out of the gate, turn left, turn right at the first bus stop, go through the jungle a bit and then you come out onto the main highway. Saves a lot of time and miles.
Good luck!

HL... we got told it would be finished last year when we moved here and have never seen anyone working on it yet! The rumour I've heard is that the access will benefit the new racing circuit they're building, and LF are seeking contributions to the cost of the road before carrying on with it.... don't know whether that's true or not.

Last edited by geedee; May 6th 2014 at 1:19 am.
Old May 6th 2014, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Singmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi alufolie,

You might also want to check out East Ledang/Ledang Heights area, if you are still looking. Lot of expats, very nice community, got all the amenities you need, and it's very close to the border, too.

I must say that the traffic jam during rush hours at Tuas in the past two months have just been horrendous. Up until March there was no issue, and we thought this was temporary. But honestly it's not getting better, and just getting worse!

On average it has taken 1 hour to cross the border, so 90-120 minutes to get to work. That's probably because I left fairly late, past 7:00. This morning I think the queue to Tuas was pushed back almost all the way to Malaysian immigration, and it took me 2 hours 20 minutes to get to work in CBD.

I think nowadays the queue at Tuas starts as early as 6:00 am. If you leave LF at 5:45, there's a chance you might still spend 20-30 min (or more?) in the queue. Some of people I know leave at 5am to beat the traffic, but still takes 1 hour to get to CBD...

As for coming back, if you get to Tuas by 5:15 ish, still ok, but past 6pm, pretty bad..

Maybe you can try staying at LF for a week and see how it feels and what the commting is like. They have resort getaway package where you can stay in one of their town houses.

Good luck with your move!
Old May 6th 2014, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Singmom, that queue this morning is doing the rounds on Facebook.... someone took a picture and it was waaaaay back.... glad I didn't go in today!
Old May 6th 2014, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Whoops!
Old May 6th 2014, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Singmom and geedee for the information and pointers to check the other threads will do that now. I'm so glad I found this forum. :-)

Well we are signing our life away for 12 months at LF this weekend. oh and if anyone at LF ever needs to car pool with us at any point to Singas- feel free to PM me (My husband will be leaving at the crack of dawn and myself driving at a more civilised hour.)

Thanks again !
Old May 6th 2014, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alufolie
Hi Harlow Lad & Gee Dee.

Thanks for the advice We've narrowed it down to Senibong and LF - but 90% looks like we've decided on Leisure Farm ourselves (Water Village) The bungalows are awesome & the view of the country side from the patio was fab - It's good to know that people actually live in the precinct Have you ever had worries with security there?

Some more questions: Do you both work in Singapore or Johor Bahru? Do you drive or bus, or drive? Any idea on average how long does it take to get through the TUAS checkpoint in the morning? We drive and theoretically if we were at LF, plan to leave at 5:45am and leave the office (singas) at about 4:30am. Any advice about what time we should leave?
Hi Alufolie,

I do drive in to Singer every day. Depend on what time you need to get work. It's took us 2 hrs door to door in a bad day. Good day 1.5 hr. I assume you need to get to the office by 7am? Then you probably need to get out of the door by 5.30am at least.
Old May 6th 2014, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geedee
Alufolie, I am never worried about security here... the guards are all ex-Ghurkas! And they do take security seriously.... I was looking at the water village but got told by two agents we would not be allowed a dog, which ruled it out for us.
I work in S'pore, commuting on a bike, but due to recent jams at Tuas have agreed with my boss that I can base myself from home and go in only when necessary.
Cars have different jam times to bikes.... the car backlog seems to start at the S',pore border around 0730 ish, and coming back the jam starts around 1700 or so... with the times you're thinking of you will probably be OK.
There are a couple of threads about commuting and the border crossing that you may want to read.
There is also a shortcut getting to the border from LF.... out of the gate, turn left, turn right at the first bus stop, go through the jungle a bit and then you come out onto the main highway. Saves a lot of time and miles.
Good luck!

HL... we got told it would be finished last year when we moved here and have never seen anyone working on it yet! The rumour I've heard is that the access will benefit the new racing circuit they're building, and LF are seeking contributions to the cost of the road before carrying on with it.... don't know whether that's true or not.
I'm sure they will come up with a new date by end of this year
Old May 7th 2014, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Harlow Lad and Geedee - thought this might interest you. It's the never ending story...

http://www.nst.com.my/business/lates...-deal-1.588838
Old May 8th 2014, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bocat
Harlow Lad and Geedee - thought this might interest you. It's the never ending story...

http://www.nst.com.my/business/lates...-deal-1.588838
It may never get built... thank goodness for Bocat Road!
Old May 10th 2014, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

jocelynkvs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alufolie
Thanks Singmom and geedee for the information and pointers to check the other threads will do that now. I'm so glad I found this forum. :-)

Well we are signing our life away for 12 months at LF this weekend. oh and if anyone at LF ever needs to car pool with us at any point to Singas- feel free to PM me (My husband will be leaving at the crack of dawn and myself driving at a more civilised hour.)

Thanks again !
Hi,
May i know how much rental in LF? fully furnished?