Importing books

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

rsba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing books

I'm planning to move to Nusajaya in March. One of the companies I got a quote off to ship my personal effects told me that for JB specifically I have to provide a book list with titles and authors of each. My family and I have literally hundreds if not thousands of books! If I really have to do this tedious task I will but I wondered if others who've already moved to Nusajaya faced anything like this.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing books

Originally Posted by rsba
I'm planning to move to Nusajaya in March. One of the companies I got a quote off to ship my personal effects told me that for JB specifically I have to provide a book list with titles and authors of each. My family and I have literally hundreds if not thousands of books! If I really have to do this tedious task I will but I wondered if others who've already moved to Nusajaya faced anything like this.
We had a 40' container (don't ask!!) come over from Canada, and in it were 100's of books. For the books, our packing list stated "X boxes of books". Nobody queried it and we were never asked to provide a list. We used Crown. I would avoid the company that told you to do that like the plague.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

rsba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond reputersba has a reputation beyond repute

Amusingly, it was Crown who told us this thing about the book list!
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Books were never mentioned when we moved from Singapore to here. We were told they wouldn't bring DVDs though so we brought those over ourselves.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsba
Amusingly, it was Crown who told us this thing about the book list!
That is amusing! Is it the UK you're coming from?

That's news about DVDs too, Bocat. Nobody mentioned those either.... so we brought them over on the off chance that we could get a region-free player over here.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
That is amusing! Is it the UK you're coming from?

That's news about DVDs too, Bocat. Nobody mentioned those either.... so we brought them over on the off chance that we could get a region-free player over here.
Didn't have to list books, but for DVDs and videos you are supposed to provide a full list: Title, Film Length, Actors/actresses (well, main ones anyway) - we had a couple of hundred. I just created an access database and then printed reports out. Sellotaped a plastic see-through A4 pocket to the front of the box. Very useful for finding what you want if not unpacking immediately! As it happened, our 40' container wasn't opened anyway.

when you say "nobody mentioned...." geedee, the malaysia customs website has a list of what is required/allowed and specifically mentions things like books and dvds. I cannot remember everything now, but it certainly mentioned things like having to make sure any garden tools etc were completely clean - our shippers told us to scrub everything with Jayes fluid and they would pack the bigger things (like wheelbarrow, swing seat, statue & fountain towards the middle)! Using the Jayes fluid was in case customs opened the container for a cursory inspection - the smell would still be quite strong, apparently and they would probably be satisfied! Oh and for things like kitchen equipment you are supposed to have owned and used it for at least 3 months. We actually bought a new cooker, cooker hood, dishwasher & tumble dryer just before we left. The shippers "export-wrapped" the lot, even though they were still in their unopened packaging.

For info - you can get region-free dvd players here.