Getting to Sentosa Island from JB

Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

jimmurt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting to Sentosa Island from JB

Hi All,

I'm moving to JB in June. I plan on visiting iFly Singapore on Sentosa Island a couple of times per week.

I've read some of the other threads but they deal with the daily commute during rush hour.

I'll be travelling for the most part after 8pm. I was wondering how long it will take and would I be better off using the second link?

Also, I will have a Malaysian Visa. Will there be any limitations on the amount of times I visit SG per month/week?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:27 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting to Sentosa Island from JB

Hi. Just to say to the forum.

Most of the Nusajaya posters are busy little things commuting here, there, and everywhere, and you will most likely get some response to your question over the weekend. Hope so, anyway.

I remember reading somewhere in this section (I think) that there is a ferry that goes from Nusajaya to the ferry terminal near Sentosa. Though....I note that you are in JB so that may not be of interest. On the other hand, might be a more pleasant journey driving to Nusajaya and taking a leisurely cruise, rather than batting through the traffic through Singapore North to South.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jimmurt

I'd definitely recommend crossing at Tuas. Straight up the AYE and off at Lower Delta Road and then another 10 minutes to Sentosa.

Even with no traffic, you'd still be looking at around 1 hour - especially if you are coming from JB to Tuas.

As far as I know there are no limitations to the amount of times you can cross (though you'd be better off checking this with the ICA in Singapore), however your passport will start to fill up rather quickly as you'll get stamped in and out of Singapore every time.

BB - as far as I know the ferry to Singapore STILL hasn't started (like most things in Malaysia - it'll happen eventually - just maybe not in my lifetime!)
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. It will probably depend on exactly where I end up living.

Also, my company is not providing transport. I'm not really a public transport person in any country so was thinking of buying a small car or motorbike.

How dangerous is it to operate a motorbike in JB and will I have much issues crossing with one?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Operating a bike in JB is as dangerous as anywhere else in the world.
The big issues with a bike are timing.... avoid the bike rush hours at all costs!.... and rain. You really will get soaked to the skin in seconds if you get hit by a storm! Make sure you have a waterproof (not rain or shower proof) bag / bum-bag / pocket for your passport!!
The other menace can be the mopeds... they're like wasps, popping up all over the place and with no apparent idea of basic bike safety!!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geedee
Operating a bike in JB is as dangerous as anywhere else in the world.
The big issues with a bike are timing.... avoid the bike rush hours at all costs!.... and rain. You really will get soaked to the skin in seconds if you get hit by a storm! Make sure you have a waterproof (not rain or shower proof) bag / bum-bag / pocket for your passport!!
The other menace can be the mopeds... they're like wasps, popping up all over the place and with no apparent idea of basic bike safety!!
Thanks for the reply. When is the bike rush hour?

I don't really want to invest in a car and I think bikes would be better for traffic.

Is it hard get a Malaysian bike driver's license? Can you recommend anywhere to buy a reliable second hand sports bike?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

The bike rush "hour" at Tuas is 0545 to 0830 (going in) and 1730 to 2100 coming back.

I don't have a Malaysian or a Singapore bike license, I'm using my UK one, perfectly legal (well, for a year in S'pore... will cross that bridge in August!).

If you're looking for a reliable second hand sports bike, try:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/used_bikes_home

It's where I found mine. Don't bother looking in Malaysia... they're as expensive, and you'll have the additional costs of commuting to bear. Bikes aren't like cars, because the CoE is much lower. Taxes in Malaysia seem to make them more expensive. Plus, S'pore riders are often "weekenders". I bought mine at 2 years old with 3,000 Km on the clock!

Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Hey all, just got word that I'll be living in Taman Molek in the North East of JB (just North of the Ponderosa Golf Club).

Would the 2nd crossing still be my best bet or is it now probably the 1st bearing in mind where I'm living and need to get to Sentosa Island?

Again it'll be mostly weeknights leaving apartment around 7 or 8pm.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

If you're travelling in to S'pore at 7 or 8pm I doubt you'll have any major traffic issues. If you are NE of JB then Woodlands would be your best bet, and it's cheaper too.