Forest City

Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forest City

So I made the trip yesterday. As stated by eCdC above, it is not too hard to find. There is just one shopping street, and 2 duty free shops.

There was a very poor selection of wine considering the floor space of the shops which was predominantly stocked with spirits, which I don't drink very often. There was a cabinet filled with varieties of Jacobs Creek at RM39 per bottle, and then another sparcely filled cabinet with expensive Italian wines (RM270+ per bottle).

I bought 3 cases of carlsberg beer at RM70 per case. This is the monthly limit per passport. (The monthly limit is counted every calendar month)

When asked, the sales assistant advised that purchases are not permitted to be taken out of Forest City unless the duty is paid. But was quick to state that at the moment very few cars are checked. On the way out there is a customs check point which is currently only manned by a security guard. There are lanes for "Goods to Declare" and "Nothing to Declare" - just like an airport, but all traffic was directed through the "Nothing to Declare" lane, and i was just waved through. I didn't see any cars getting stopped for inspection. I am sure that soon this will be tightened up similar to the other duty free zone in JB.

Another point to consider is that the parking is not particularly close to duty free shop. It is a long way to carry lots of crates of beer. There are no trolleys or people to help you do this.

For me personally, I don't think it is worth a 3+ hour round trip to buy 3 crates of beer to save 3x50RM, minus the toll / fuel costs, and have to hassle of trying to find parking, carting the beer to the car and then trying to sneak the beer through the customs.

Scratcher
Old Oct 4th 2017, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forest City

I actually got there Monday afternoon too.
First, I was gobsmacked that the normal parking area was full. I had to do a round trip and go off to another one to the left which I hadn't seen before. That was pretty full too.... on Monday afternoon of all days.

I eventually found the duty free shop. They had run out of beer.

However there are two, next door to each other.

Second one had beer.... Asahi RM90, Tiger RM78, Anchor RM 68, and a few others.

As Scratcher notes, there are no trollies and I'd parked bloody miles away. Was it really worth the struggle to save a total of RM 66 on 3 cases? Answer.... NO.

Same opinion as Scratcher.... wine choice pretty poor in both shops. Don't think you save much on spirits or wine. Moet champagne RM 278.... sure I've seen it cheaper in Aeon!!

In short, although less than 30 minutes from my place, not worth the effort for the savings involved.

However there are some nice looking shops there too.... a "Creative Home" looked ok, nice shoe shop.... didn't have time to browse but will do when I eventually get there at the weekend!

Just to add.... ZON at JB may be better. Will investigate!

Last edited by geedee; Oct 4th 2017 at 5:46 am.