Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Driving a Malaysian car in Singapore on EP

Driving a Malaysian car in Singapore on EP

Old Dec 27th 2015, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

dragos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving a Malaysian car in Singapore on EP

Hi all,

I know the topic of driving a Malaysian car into Singapore on an EP has come up in several threads here. I've read them all, but there is one thing that is still not clear to me.

According to LTA these are the conditions under which someone on EP can drive a foreign registered vehicle in Singapore:

- He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
- He resides outside Singapore.
- He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
- The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
- The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

(source West Malaysian Registered Vehicles, Cars & Motorcycles | Driving In and Out of Singapore | Roads & Motoring | Land Transport Authority)

Now, those of us without a Malaysian work permit or MM2H, stay here on renewed tourist passes essentially. Which means technically we are not Malaysian residents.

My question is how do you deal with that? Do you just drive a Malaysian car in anyway on the assumption that no one checks your residency? Or do you change the residence address registered with your EP to your Malaysian address even though technically you don't reside in Malaysia?

Would be great to hear people's experience with this. My Singapore registered car's COE is about to expire and I'm contemplating getting a Malaysian registered car next. Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving a Malaysian car in Singapore on EP

Hi Dragos,

My husband is a Singapore EP holder. He is therefore allowed to drive our Malaysian-registered car into Singapore, he's been doing so since January this year. He has never been questioned at border control at Woodlands or Tuas. If you are a Singapore EP holder then you will have no problem at all buying a Malaysian-registered car and driving it into Singapore.

The Sgp ICA does not check your residency. They already know you live in Nusajaya or JB by the frequency of your coming in and out of Singapore. By buying a Malaysian-registered car, that means you do live in Johor. By extension, you will not be able to buy a car from a Malaysian car dealership unless you can prove to the dealers that you live in Johor but possess a Singapore EP or Singapore WP, as well as have an account with a bank in Johor with which you can arrange a hire-purchase agreement.

Do not change the residence address registered with your Singaporean EP. There is no need to do so. Besides, the Singapore ICA will never accept a Malaysian address anyway.

Our Singapore car's COE expired in September this year, so we turned in the car via our Singapore dealer and got the rebate which we used to make the downpayment on our Malaysian-registered car. Our Singapore dealer desperately tried to make us an offer on a new model, but even with the financing, it was still so atrociously highly-priced compared to the car we planned to buy in Johor.

If you are married, then you must inform your wife that she will not be able to drive the car into Singapore. I am a Singapore DP holder, therefore like Singaporean citizens and Singapore PR holders, I am not allowed to drive a Malaysian-reg'd car into Singapore. The ICA and LTA have no rhyme or reason as to why Sgp EP holders can drive but their DPholders/ spouses cannot drive said car into Singapore. Got away with driving our Malaysian-reg'd car into Singapore for three months before the ICA at Woodlands finally caught me out in September. They gave me a warning, no fines... yet. Husband works from home so he only goes into Singapore at most three times a week to visit clients. I've since learned to take the bus on the few days that I have to head into the office. Take note: I can drive the car in and around Singapore (whilst husband is at meetings, I drive around to do errands, visit friends, etc since no one can track me anyway), but I cannot drive it into Singapore.

When we think about all the money we saved by not buying another car in Singapore and not having to pay road taxes and that blasted COE, it makes sense buying a car in Malaysia. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, holler.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving a Malaysian car in Singapore on EP

My wife is a DP holder and has been driving in for over a year (now and again, not daily) and has not been queried (yet... touch wood!).

We know some who are Singapore PR and rather than pay for a Singapore car they hire a full time driver... about SGD 1000 per month. Still works out cheaper!