Do you regret the move?

Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:30 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you regret the move?

Just reading the moans on the commute, wondering what all you guys think now you've made the move to Nusajaya?

Was it worth it? Are you wondering why you did it?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you regret the move?

We never lived in S'pore, we went straight to Johore. It's better that I put up with the commute than the kids.

I personally would do it again. The only thing I would change (and am planning to anyway!) is use a car, not a bike. I thought I was being clever with the bike, but it turned out to be a bit of a dumb move.

I didn't realise so many thousands of mopeds made that journey every day, and that bike riders seem to be considered third class entities as far as S'pore immigration is concerned.

I couldn't live in a shoebox flat, can't afford the cost of a decent home in S'pore and quite honestly couldn't put up with the claustrophobic atmosphere of the place 24/7. It makes me itchy just being there in the day!

Bottom line is the commute's a pain in the rear, but not as much as a pain as living in S'pore these days.

Having said all that, we're more than likely going to call it a day here and head back to Canada where we had a very good "quality of life".... much, much better than this neck of the woods.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't regret it but I do miss some things about Singapore (I know you'll find that hard to believe geedee!) I mourn my social life as well sometimes!

That said - I'm working here now so not doing the commute anymore. It really has become ridiculous again.

I don't know if I can see us staying here long term (which was the original plan) but I don't know where I'd like to go next! Not that we'll get much choice - the job market will dictate...
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Singmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I feel exactly the same as geedee. As much as I hate the traffic at the border (and that's really the only thing I don't like about being here), I still wouldn't go back to Singapore to deal with the cost, the crowd, the claustrophobic atmosphere...you name it..

I have to say it was a lot more frustrating to commute in Singapore where trains and buses are packed and taxis are impossible to catch.

I feel like I can really breathe in Malaysia, and my kids definitely love it, being able to play outside with kids in the neighborhood.

That said, of course there are other places in the world where you can enjoy much better quality of life. If we were to leave here, it will not be because we want to go back to Singapore, but because we want to go to those other countries.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello bakedbean!
Not regretting the move at all! When I consider how much we've been able to save of our income in the past year because of our move to JB as opposed to when we were living in Singapore, the move was worth it. An anecdote---I have asthma, and my doctor in Singapore charges me S$64 ( RM191+)for an inhaler that I have to take twice daily since 2005 and cannot do without. In JB, my GP sells me the same inhaler for RM77, which is S$30!!! We rent a house with a yard for a fraction of what it cost to rent our Sgp apartment. Our Malaysian neighbours on our street are friendly and we all look out for each other. I have met some wonderful ladies both expatriate and local who are proving to be a good and lively bunch of friends to have. And the occasional partying in Singapore has become much more fun as I tend to make the most of it (bender alert!) once I get there. Johor's golf courses are plentiful and cheap. Yes, when you go to a restaurant here, you and your friends will never ever get your meals to come all at the same time. Yes, it took the electrician six weeks to fix the microwave oven. Yes, the border traffic dents one's productivity and taxes one's patience, but as the months have gone by the husband and I have just told ourselves to suck it up. We are very fortunate to have this option of living in Johor Bahru but still be able to earn a living in Singapore. We will be here until our daughter goes off to college. We do not know if we will stay on, move back to Singapore, or go back to the UK. But for the moment, I do hope everyone who's made the move will be able to "look at the bright side of life" in Johor. Cheers x
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:00 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting views...thanks. Yeh the turbulent and transient life of the expat eh.....think we've all been there, done that.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

What about you BB? Hehe
Old Mar 19th 2014, 12:56 pm

Turbulent maybe but not transient these days....but.....you never really know what is around the corner, do you

I remember moving to Norfolk UK in year 2000 I think. I loved it and planned to stay, retire, blah blah blah. Mr bb didn't quite settle there ....then we got opportunity to move our business to Singapore.....

Did that, loved it, thought I would stay in Singapore forever blah blah blah....then a few years later visa conundrums......

Retired to Thailand. Mmmm never did think that one was forever but several years later here we are in Penang . More than 3 and a half years here now...that's quite a long time for us . No plans to move but...........who knows.

Or did you mean Do I regret the move to Penang? Ooh no, I love it here.

Last edited by bakedbean; Mar 19th 2014 at 12:58 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

*Phew*