Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Commute between JB and Singapore everyday life.

Commute between JB and Singapore everyday life.

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of
Default Commute between JB and Singapore everyday life.

Hello All Brit Expats,

Glad that I can join this wonderful forum. After long battle to persuade my other half to migrate back to asia. We decided to find jobs in Singapore and buy a property in JB.

Can someone here can give me an idea of so call traffic on the toll via a Motorcycle? I dont think we'll be driving a car cross there everyday for S$12 a day, which is not a lot different to London CC. Is it really really bad? We commute from Harlow, Essex to Central London to work every day take 2hrs each way in peak hrs. Its JB to Singapore commute worse than this?

Buying a property in Singapore is just out of question. We just cant afford to, I love the idea of mortgage free that why we decided to migrate back to Malaysia.

I cant wait for the endless summer. Exciting!!!!

Thank you all in advance.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future
Default Re: Commute between JB and Singapore everyday life.

Hi Harlow Lad,

I've been living in JB for the past 4 years and while I work here so don't have to do the crossing everyday I can tell you a bit about the commute from my experiences.

Firstly, it is not S$12 per day for a car as you mentioned, but S$20 (the first 10 entries per year are free), plus you have to pay additional ERP charges (like congestion toll) which if you don't have a unit installed is a flat $5 per day, whether you go under 1 or 100 gantries (with a unit in your car you pay the amount noted on the gantry). You also need to pay to leave Singapore (S$1.60 if I am not mistaken) and to enter Malaysia (RM2.80). You may also have issues with driving a Malaysian registered car on a Singapore EP.

In terms of motorbikes I am not sure of the precise costs, but it will be a lot less than this. However, there are literally thousands of people going across on bikes every day and if you are commuting to Singapore in the morning and back to JB in the evening be prepared to queue - it could take over 2 hours just to get across - no queue is 45 mins from my front door to Orchard Rd for an indication of how long you'll be 'stationary'! So yes it is really really bad! I have a colleague whose wife commutes across everyday by public transport and she has to leave at 5.30am and doesn't get home until 9 or 10 in the evening for a 9-5 job - I have no idea how she does it!!

However, one way to avoid all this queuing is to not live in JB itself but instead in Nusajaya or the area around there (ie near the second crossing). The tolls are slightly higher but there is rarely a queue at anytime of the day or night. I have friends (fellow British Expats) who used to live in Singapore and have recently moved into landed property there. Just last week they were saying it was the best move they made as they now have a huge house, lots of land and are only 20 minutes from downtown Singapore, as they are right next to the second crossing (Tuas). They have a Malaysian car though so perhaps my previous comment on needing a singapore registered car with a Singapore EP is incorrect...

I wish you all the best with your move and though I may have put you off JB with all the talk of traffic and tolls, please ignore other posts you will find on this and other forums about how dangerous and horrible JB is... I'm glad I ignored them and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here!!

Please feel free to PM me any other questions you may have on life as an expat in JB.

M.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Hi mnicol,

Thanks for the info. Thats very very helpful. So, second link it is then. When you said your friend bought a house, is it in Singapore or JB?

Like I mention before buying property is just out of question in Singapore. You be surprise that UK property is cheaper than Singapore.

In terms of security in JB dont bother me at all. You just have to be vigilant. My female relatives warn my wife always be vigilant on her tote bag (thats why I have to carry it around KL a couple of weeks ago). My brother have been mug once this year in KL. Luckily he did preparation & hide RM50 in one of his sock. But still punch him, not very civilize.

I was born in Ipoh (the town of food). But Grown up in Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire (or AKA Royal Wootton Bassett). I never live in Malaysia or any asia country in my adult life. So a bit nervous as well as EXCITING!!!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future

My friend bought a house in JB (well, Nusajaya which is not really JB but about 25 mins outside).

All the best with the move - I know how you feel about being nervous and excited at the same time! I'd never left Europe when I moved here but haven't looked back since!!
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Moonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mnicol,
At the risk of being off thread but given you are in JB, do you ever get to Melaka. Am after some feedback on Melaka from an expat perspective but there doesn't seem to be a lot of comment available on this site or any other I can find for that matter. Are you able to help me out or can you recommend a site with good info on Melaka as a place to live.
Cheers
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moonbeamzz
Hi Mnicol,
At the risk of being off thread but given you are in JB, do you ever get to Melaka. Am after some feedback on Melaka from an expat perspective but there doesn't seem to be a lot of comment available on this site or any other I can find for that matter. Are you able to help me out or can you recommend a site with good info on Melaka as a place to live.
Cheers
Hi Moonbeamzz,

I'm not an expert on Melaka by any means but I did manage a contract there for 18 months a couple of years ago, and although I stayed in JB and drove up a couple of times a week, we had a subcontractor working for us who lived there (Aussie chap) so I can always ask them for advise. Please feel free to ask me any questions (or PM me) and I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers,
M.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Moonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mnicol,
Thank you for the reply. My question re Melaka is, is it a place a western semi retired expat can find plenty to do and are western expats well received. Have got the impression from the few sites I have come across that Melaka doesn't have a lot of 'zing', hopefully I have gained the wrong impression. Have never been there and was looking for first hand experience. Know a bit about Malaysia in general having spent a couple of years in Penang (Butterworth actually) in the 70s and been to Sabah in 2010and back to Penang in 2011. Myself and my wife (we both like Malaysia) are looking for a place to spend a large part of the year which is warm, interesting and with plenty to do. Also considering a look at Taiping/Ipoh in Perak and Kuantan on the east coast.
Cheers
Moonbeamzz
Old Oct 8th 2011, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

evop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really niceevop is just really nice

mnicol, as a new expat in JB is there someplace where expats that are leaving sell the stuff they don't want to take with them? I am thinking I could maybe pick up some things to fill in my condo. Or any places for used furniture...
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:26 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I also know a couple who moved to Nusajaya. I think they're on MM2H, although still working. I'll see if I can find a link for you with some info.

We just came back from a road trip which included going through the Tuas link. To be fair, this wasn't during peak hours, but it's a breeze going through there.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curiouscat
mnicol, as a new expat in JB is there someplace where expats that are leaving sell the stuff they don't want to take with them? I am thinking I could maybe pick up some things to fill in my condo. Or any places for used furniture...
I've never heard of such a place and would be a bit wary of the stuff there anyway.
In our experience the stuff which gets left behind is left behind because its on its last legs.

Many properties will come fully furnished so you could top up with stuff you might want back home.

In Singapore there are internet sites for selling second hand stuff.

Gumtree is one.
Dunno if they have a JB Gumtree.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by curiouscat
Curious cat - sorry for the slow reply have been busy sorting out leaving JB for sunnier climes. I've not come across any sites or places where expats sell old stuff when moving, though I would suggest trying some of her expat hang outs that I'm sure you've come across by now (mulligans, coffee trap, chez papa).

For second hand / cheap furniture you could try places like Tasman molek or bukit indah which both have a lot of furniture shops and I got some good deals on things like bookshelves when I moved into my condo... Alternatively, good old Ikea in Singapore...
Old Dec 13th 2011, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

frncz is an unknown quantity at this point

As we shall be moving to Singapore in August for work, we are contemplating living in the Nusajaya area. Can anyone recommend a good estate agent who could show me round houses for rent in January, to get a feel for what is available?

Thanks

Mike
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike and welcome to BE. If you haven't already done so, take a look at this thread here about living in Nusajaya

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738029

Maybe tag onto the above thread? Might get some replies.

I presume you will have already contacted a lady called Kaz on another place?? She is a mine of info re Nusajaya. Unfortunately doesn't post on here.