Where to start for jobs in Australia

Old Jan 13th 2016, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Jennifer_M will become famous soon enough
Default Where to start for jobs in Australia

Wondering if anyone can help. I have my AHPRA "approval in principle of your registration" and just to show in person to register etc.

But im finding applying for jobs more difficult than applying for AHPRA and ANMC!!! Its all agency that say they can offer work but then they have no jobs (i think it is so they can sign everyone up on the off chance a contract shows up)
Then applying directly to private/public hospitals no one gets back to you!! I am trained in acute medicine and also aged care.

Im not fussy about where to go as long as there is a high school for my boys and husband can get a job. I have showed my CV to current charge nurses in UK and they say it is good and shouldn't be changed.

Just wondering if there is this major "shortage of nurses" in Oz and what areas are seeking nurses (it can be regional or remote areas)
Old Jan 13th 2016, 11:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start for jobs in Australia

Originally Posted by Jennifer_M
Wondering if anyone can help. I have my AHPRA "approval in principle of your registration" and just to show in person to register etc.

But im finding applying for jobs more difficult than applying for AHPRA and ANMC!!! Its all agency that say they can offer work but then they have no jobs (i think it is so they can sign everyone up on the off chance a contract shows up)
Then applying directly to private/public hospitals no one gets back to you!! I am trained in acute medicine and also aged care.

Im not fussy about where to go as long as there is a high school for my boys and husband can get a job. I have showed my CV to current charge nurses in UK and they say it is good and shouldn't be changed.

Just wondering if there is this major "shortage of nurses" in Oz and what areas are seeking nurses (it can be regional or remote areas)
I really suspect it's because you are appling from outside Oz. The same complaint is heard from people from the UK applying for jobs in Canada, as soo as they see you are not in OZ, then it gets filed in the round bin next to the desk.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Yeah prob the reason, i would go over and live till i seen something but would hate to give up my current job on a whim and have nothing. Might need to go down that route though and leave family here till i found something
Old Jan 13th 2016, 6:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah prob the reason, i would go over and live till i seen something but would hate to give up my current job on a whim and have nothing. Might need to go down that route though and leave family here till i found something
There are jobs around but the shortage isn't as great as it was so its harder to get work. Many people resort to agency (bank) nursing, at least at first.
Part of your problem will be that you aren't actually here yet.
Do you already have a visa? And are you making it very clear when you apply that you have a visa AND have your AHPRA in place ready to go? Both those are things that any employer is going to hesitate over - waiting fro AHPRRA can be months as they and you both know, and having a visa in place means you can work as soon as you get here.

Make it sound like you are committed to living in whichever area you happen to be applying to, as well, don't make them aware that you are happy to go almost anywhere
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

stevensarick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, great thread! I have my visa and Ahpra approval but to be honest just emigrating if I overthink I won't go hoping to get a job when I arrive, I will take any kind of nursing although my training is intensive care. Just trying to make sure I have enough money to get us through three months with no pressure! Praying it will work, only one shot in life so here goes haha xxx
Old Feb 20th 2016, 11:34 am
Just Joined

No i do not have a visa (not got enough points to apply for PR visa while in UK so i need to go on a 457)
I was going to fly over to OZ quicly just to see AHPRA and do final bit of registration and come back to Scotland but cat do that without an address over there or a job offer.
No one is getting back to me regarding applications. Basically banging my head off a wall. My biggest problem is i dont have surgical experiance but TBH i hate surgical nursing. Im working in a medical ward and quite happy to go into aged care.

AHHH the red tape is a nightmare!!!
Old Feb 20th 2016, 11:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

No i do not have a visa (not got enough points to apply for PR visa while in UK so i need to go on a 457)
I was going to fly over to OZ quicly just to see AHPRA and do final bit of registration and come back to Scotland but cat do that without an address over there or a job offer.
No one is getting back to me regarding applications. Basically banging my head off a wall. My biggest problem is i dont have surgical experiance but TBH i hate surgical nursing. Im working in a medical ward and quite happy to go into aged care.

AHHH the red tape is a nightmare!!!
Have you tried IELTS to improve your score?

Other alternatives might be state sponsorship if you are only short a few points. What is your points total and breakdown?
Old Feb 20th 2016, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi yes i have done my IELTS and passed. But due to lack of experience and my age i dont score enough. Can only score 50 points out of the 60.

So its a State sponsorship or 457 visa i need . But getting this from in UK is difficult.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 1:05 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi yes i have done my IELTS and passed. But due to lack of experience and my age i dont score enough. Can only score 50 points out of the 60.

So its a State sponsorship or 457 visa i need . But getting this from in UK is difficult.
Unfortunately it will be difficult from the UK, and nursing jobs are harder to get these days.

If you are coming over to complete your AHPRA then try and line up chats with hospitals and agencies beforehand. Having AHPRA sorted may hep - once you have registration include that fact on your resume.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Dont think i can come over to complete it without a job offer or a Australian address. I was going to fly over quickly and do it all but not sure if im allowed to do it or look for work on a holiday visa??
Old Feb 20th 2016, 2:57 pm
Home and Happy

Dont think i can come over to complete it without a job offer or a Australian address. I was going to fly over quickly and do it all but not sure if im allowed to do it or look for work on a holiday visa??
Yes, you can look for work - and/or sort out AHPRA - on a tourist visa. You just aren't allowed to do any actual work n that visa.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 9:59 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

With 50 points there would be the option of a 489 which is a temporary visa but with a pathway to PR.

If you have maxed out points for English though and only reach 50, then age and lack of experience may be a negative for employers.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
With 50 points there would be the option of a 489 which is a temporary visa but with a pathway to PR.

If you have maxed out points for English though and only reach 50, then age and lack of experience may be a negative for employers.

Cause i turn the big '40' in few months i drop more points too lol
Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:37 am
Just Joined

bimble is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I moved back to Melbourne in September and even being in the country, hospitals didn't get back to me for up to 4 weeks.

I know a colleague in the UK who is in a similar situation who I believe has a job at http://www.westernhealth.org.au/Careers/Pages/Our-Vacancies.aspx once her visa is organized. Otherwise like someone mentioned earlier, joining a Nurse Pool/Nurse Resource team (like nurse bank but you are guaranteed your hours making you permanent rather than casual) is a good way to get in to a hospital.

Otherwise remote nursing in places like the Northern Territory is meant to be in high demand, especially with a critical care background.

The visa makes it so difficult as I assume you need to find a permanent job rather than casual agency?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 3:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bimble
Hey I moved back to Melbourne in September and even being in the country, hospitals didn't get back to me for up to 4 weeks.

I know a colleague in the UK who is in a similar situation who I believe has a job at http://www.westernhealth.org.au/Care...Vacancies.aspx once her visa is organized. Otherwise like someone mentioned earlier, joining a Nurse Pool/Nurse Resource team (like nurse bank but you are guaranteed your hours making you permanent rather than casual) is a good way to get in to a hospital.

Otherwise remote nursing in places like the Northern Territory is meant to be in high demand, especially with a critical care background.

The visa makes it so difficult as I assume you need to find a permanent job rather than casual agency?
Similar to a friend of mine who was near Perth late last year. AHPRA registered, worked in Australia previously, visa in place and it still took over a month to get a response from hospitals, and another 3 weeks to get all the paperwork and checks done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.