Uk radiographer looking to move to Canada

Old Jun 25th 2017, 11:25 am
Just Joined

cheapnortherner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk radiographer looking to move to Canada

Hey all.

Hope you guys can help. I'm looking to immigrate to Canada and have just about got my head around the immigration process i.e. express entry, x-ray registration etc.

I seem to be seeing a lot of conflicting stories about the job situation for imaging techs at the moment with websites claiming they are crying out for them and of course the express entry process is available for radiographers. But equally i've read stories of people struggling to get work out there and when flicking through job sites there doesnt appear to be a lot of adverts out there.

Could someone please shed some light on what really is the situation out there and/or are there better websites to look for jobs in Canada. I've been checking out the first ones that come up on google like indeed.com.

Thanks for your time.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all
Default Re: Uk radiographer looking to move to Canada

Hi Cheap,

i've been qualified 8 years and been looking for the past 2 years from the UK for jobs. What i've found is that most places are advertising jobs that do not meet the criteria for getting a Labour market Impact Assessment, and even if they did, won't humour interviewing somebody not living in Canada.

I should be getting my PR in October, and i was lucky enough to get a lecturing position offered to me at a college but i heavily sold myself based on experience and that I am a Reporting Radiographer so pushing that level of professional growth, but even then they wont get a LMIA so i have to hope the timings work out.

However I am pretty sure that when I get out there i wouldnt struggle to find a position, it would just be what we would call bank, and then they seem to make their bank staff permanent if they like them, not a bad idea, sucks for us would be migrants.

I took the CAMRT exam in September 2015, it's tough, especially covering some things we don't do a great deal of here, even more so if you are male, but knowing i am CAMRT registered was the thing that let us start going.

that being said, my timelines have been bad, doing one bit at a time, so heres what i would recommend;

1)Start the process of getting onto a CAMRT exam now, build a recce trip around it.
2) At the same time organise your Education Credentials Assessment, you do need both and theres duplication of documentation you might as well go through the hassle of sorting out once.
3) Start building your EE profile, or at least work out on the points calculator where you sit. (as an idea, i got 451 points as a 31 year old male, top english results, no french, no family points or anything, my BSc and Post Grad and 8 years experience, husband knocked a lot of points off though having no degree)

How old are you though, if your under 30s then you could get the 2 year working holiday type visa, get yourself in a nice position and extend that into PR.

LinkedIn is also pretty decent for job searching in giving you quantity, but the listings are a bit bad (they mostly all list as permanent full time, and then you click the link and its anything but)

Sorry to info dump, happy to discuss further
Old Jun 26th 2017, 8:45 am
Just Joined

cheapnortherner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi megajamie, thanks for getting back to me.

Your journey certainly demonstrates the complexity and the lengthy process of getting to Canada. But I will push on and hope for the best.

I am sitting the ielts next month to go with the express entry and am hoping to visit canada for a couple of weeks in September with the view to getting some work experience somewhere.

Thanks for pointing out linkedin hopefully that will give me a bit more optimism on the job front.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:51 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

bats is the gal you need to need to get some advice from- recently retired but I'm sure she would be helpful- maybe a post in Canadian forum?
Old Aug 28th 2017, 3:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just seen this thread as I rarely visit this forum.

As with everything in Canada it all depends on which province you are headed too and then whether town or rural. I'm in Ontario where i recently retired from small town hospital job. I was part time casual for 9 years. Jobs are not so easy to find outside the big cities and then they may be only part time or casual.

To look for jobs look at the hospital websites themselves. There are also several outpatient clinics, these are mostly not part of the hospital complex itself and are owned and run by doctors.

If you are enjoying your uk career then you might think twice about moving here. At least be prepared to have little autonomy, no advance practice such as reporting. You'll take many unnecessary examinations and extra views as routine. You won't be high up in the pecking order.