UK nurse wants to move to US. Is it possible?

Old Aug 8th 2017, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Cocoabeach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK nurse wants to move to US. Is it possible?

Hello,
I am a registered adult nurse in the UK with two and a half years post registration experience.

I am keen to emigrate to Florida with my husband and two sons. Having looked at a few forums, this is starting to look like the impossible dream. Does it really take 6 years to get a visa? Do US hospitals employ many UK nurses? Are there nursing jobs in Florida?

Looking at job sites, there seem to be jobs, but is this a true representation? I am reluctant to get my NCLEX if I never manage to get a visa.

So many questions! I hope there's someone out there who can answer some of them.

TIA
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK nurse wants to move to US. Is it possible?

Could your Husband get a job transfer, look up L1 visa, you will get a L2 and be work authorised.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply boiler. Unfortunately, the company he works for has no links to the US, so that's not an option for us.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Perhaps get a job with a Company who would sponsor a move? You need to work with a Company for a year before you can move on a L.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

That's an option I suppose. We were considering Australia as well, so maybe this would be the better option.
We are only in the initial stages of planning at the moment. We don't want to start spending out on things like the NCLEX if I have no chance of getting a visa.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

You can always contact Hospitals and see, EB3 would likely be the category. It is a long process and not cheap, agencies I have seen sponsor, not sure if they are cracking down on this but they usually then have you over a barrel.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Starting point would be getting registration sorted with the state. You need to make sure you have clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Shortage of any of these will mean you do not meet requirements and will need to top up. Employers may look at you more favourably once registration as RN is sorted. Then it is a case of calling hospitals in the areas you want to live and work in and ask them if they are willing to sponsor
Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The only reported successes I recall seeing here on BE, which may or may not be representative, have been via the agency route.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK nurse wants to move to US. Is it possible?

Originally Posted by Cocoabeach
Hello,
I am a registered adult nurse in the UK with two and a half years post registration experience.

I am keen to emigrate to Florida with my husband and two sons. Having looked at a few forums, this is starting to look like the impossible dream. Does it really take 6 years to get a visa? Do US hospitals employ many UK nurses? Are there nursing jobs in Florida?

Looking at job sites, there seem to be jobs, but is this a true representation? I am reluctant to get my NCLEX if I never manage to get a visa.

So many questions! I hope there's someone out there who can answer some of them.

TIA
Hi Cocoabeach,
I am a U.K. RN working in Texas I used the agency route and was sponsored for the Green Card, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

cams278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarasota chic
Hi Cocoabeach,
I am a U.K. RN working in Texas I used the agency route and was sponsored for the Green Card, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
hello

I’m a UK adult nurse too and want to move to Florida but having reading around it was mentioned that nurses need to have experience in all areas of nursing. So did you have to take extra clinical and theory hours to cover paediatric, obgynae and mental health before applying for CGFNS to take NCLEX??

thank you!!
Old Feb 6th 2019, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cams278

hello

I’m a UK adult nurse too and want to move to Florida but having reading around it was mentioned that nurses need to have experience in all areas of nursing. So did you have to take extra clinical and theory hours to cover paediatric, obgynae and mental health before applying for CGFNS to take NCLEX??

thank you!!
I spoke to several US nursing agencies back in the summer. I've been told that the new immigration rules now mean that the UK nursing degree is not deemed adequate for nursing in the US. The agencies couldn't after any advice on how to get the required practice hours as they only counted pre registration hours. Even though I've cared for children in my current post, this woul dnt be considered.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

cams278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cocoabeach
I spoke to several US nursing agencies back in the summer. I've been told that the new immigration rules now mean that the UK nursing degree is not deemed adequate for nursing in the US. The agencies couldn't after any advice on how to get the required practice hours as they only counted pre registration hours. Even though I've cared for children in my current post, this woul dnt be considered.
Thanks for the quick reply!!
Might have to stick with the NHS for now then till there’s a solution haha
Old Feb 6th 2019, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply!!
Might have to stick with the NHS for now then till there’s a solution haha
I would speak to some agencies like OGrady Peyton or Assignment America, they are really helpful. Good luck x
Old Feb 7th 2019, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

The issue isn’t new. What Your training transcripts have to show are clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Only way to find out if affected is apply and wait for response. Kings college apparently have a course but it is expensive and the state may not accept it
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

hello

thank you!!
No I had the required hours in paediatric, obgyn, and psych for me it was straightforward I took the NCLEX back on 2003.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.