Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations

Old Aug 8th 2017, 6:59 pm   #1
Just Joined

Cocoabeach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK nurse wants to move to US. Is it possible?

Hello,
I am a registered adult nurse in the UK with two and a half years post registration experience.

I am keen to emigrate to Florida with my husband and two sons. Having looked at a few forums, this is starting to look like the impossible dream. Does it really take 6 years to get a visa? Do US hospitals employ many UK nurses? Are there nursing jobs in Florida?

Looking at job sites, there seem to be jobs, but is this a true representation? I am reluctant to get my NCLEX if I never manage to get a visa.

So many questions! I hope there's someone out there who can answer some of them.

TIA
Cocoabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:56 pm   #2
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse wants to move to US. Is it possible?

Could your Husband get a job transfer, look up L1 visa, you will get a L2 and be work authorised.

Office Poster of the Denver Broncos, Ex Superbowl Champions Go Broncos
Warning: My answers may be deceptively simple and quite likely incomplete.
Boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:11 pm   #3
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply boiler. Unfortunately, the company he works for has no links to the US, so that's not an option for us.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:12 pm   #4
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps get a job with a Company who would sponsor a move? You need to work with a Company for a year before you can move on a L.

Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:15 pm   #5
Just Joined

That's an option I suppose. We were considering Australia as well, so maybe this would be the better option.
We are only in the initial stages of planning at the moment. We don't want to start spending out on things like the NCLEX if I have no chance of getting a visa.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:23 pm   #6
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You can always contact Hospitals and see, EB3 would likely be the category. It is a long process and not cheap, agencies I have seen sponsor, not sure if they are cracking down on this but they usually then have you over a barrel.

Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:22 pm   #7
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Starting point would be getting registration sorted with the state. You need to make sure you have clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Shortage of any of these will mean you do not meet requirements and will need to top up. Employers may look at you more favourably once registration as RN is sorted. Then it is a case of calling hospitals in the areas you want to live and work in and ask them if they are willing to sponsor
Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:45 pm   #8
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The only reported successes I recall seeing here on BE, which may or may not be representative, have been via the agency route.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 10:29 pm   #9
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK nurse wants to move to US. Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoabeach View Post
Hello,
I am a registered adult nurse in the UK with two and a half years post registration experience.

I am keen to emigrate to Florida with my husband and two sons. Having looked at a few forums, this is starting to look like the impossible dream. Does it really take 6 years to get a visa? Do US hospitals employ many UK nurses? Are there nursing jobs in Florida?

Looking at job sites, there seem to be jobs, but is this a true representation? I am reluctant to get my NCLEX if I never manage to get a visa.

So many questions! I hope there's someone out there who can answer some of them.

TIA
Hi Cocoabeach,
I am a U.K. RN working in Texas I used the agency route and was sponsored for the Green Card, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
I140 approved September 12 2015. Fees paid to NVC in Jan 2016, DS260 completed sent to NVC with supporting documents Feb 2016.Job offer accepted Dec 2016 start work June 12th at United Regional in Wichita Falls.
sarasota chic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations