UK Nurse moving to California

Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:42 am
Just Joined

JeanneRivera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Hi all, I have just had a read through of this thread, but finding myself in a similar situation. so many questions in my head.

I am Nurse currently in on one the Cambridge University Hospital Foundation Trust, and is interested on becoming a nurse in California, my dad's parents and family lives in Fremont California. I graduated with Bachelor of Science in Adult Nursing last 2015. Is this different from UK diploma or are they the same?

I am planning to start my CGFNS Process on November, I will be visiting California on October to see it for the first time.

I understand that it takes around 7 months for the credential to be processed, so I am hoping to get it started. Do you think I have a chance? I wonder, how much money I will need to save up for the whole process to take place.

Social Security Number will not be issued unless you are a Green Card holder, is having a spousal visa the only way of obtaining one? or will a petition from a family member e.g. Grandparents allowed?

I can see that I may need to top up some theory and practice hours covering peads, psych and obstetrics and I only had an insight placement on them for 2 weeks. Is the CGFNS the first process? before the NCLEX? Is the CGFNS the one that will give you a go ahead to take the NCLEX or the CA-BON?

I hope any of you could help. Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

You need a valid work or immigrant visa to be able to get a US SSN. California will not accept application without it.

California will not make a decision without receiving your transcripts and I wasn't aware that California was accepting CGFNS for RN. Only once you have met requirements will the BRN give permission to sit NCLEX. There are currently no universities in the UK that offer top ups and many struggle to find places in the US to top up especially as CA is one of the most difficult states to register in. Process is the same whether initial or endorsing license if trained outside of the US
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the clinical/didactic deficiencies, it doesn't sound as if you have a path to a visa though family sponsorship. I have heard of several British nurses coming over with OGP, a nursing agency that specializes in placing foreign nurses in the US. It can't hurt to contact them and ask
International Nursing Jobs in America/US