Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:01 pm   #31
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Flyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Hi Aim89,
The whole process took 2 years. From May 2014 to May 2016!
1) I applied to BON on arrival, it took a lot of back and forth letters and double checking from the BON as they had never had someone from the UK from my University apply for licensure before ( I guess it will make it easier for the next person!). That took until December 12th 2014.
2) Meanwhile I was constantly looking for schools that would allow me to make up potential deficits (Silverdragon is correct! There are not many). Look out for Foreign Nurse Graduate Programs!
3) I was very lucky to find one and with letter in hand I applied and received an invite to interview in April 2015. The school I applied to wanted us foreign grads to also undertake a pharm course and introduction to US nursing in the summer of 2015.
4) Completed the course in the summer of 2015 and procured a place in fall 2015 and they allowed me to take all three courses at once (not all schools will allow this) I took Peds, OB and Psych within that 3 month semester and finished December 2015.
5) School had the transcripts ready for the CABON in January and they were sent off. Waited until late March to receive my ATT (Authorization to test) from the BON and commenced with a Kaplan R/V course for the NCLEX ( very good by the way).
6) Took the NCLEX-RN in May and passed first time( phew! As by this time failure was NOT an option)
Got my license the beginning of June and a Job the beginning of July! So like I said not easy but very worth it in the end if this is where you want/have to be. Work/life balance is similar 3 12 hr shifts etc BUT OH MY WORD the lack of holidays is going to take some getting used to lol! I had 8 weeks paid in the UK but here I get 2. I negotiated a further 3 with my new employer (unpaid) so not so bad at all.
Working conditions is dependent on where you work but in my facility I have 4 patients ( in the UK I had 13). Nursing I find is fairly universal in that regard, it is just a matter of fitting in with the team and supporting your colleagues. I hope that answers your questions. Don't lose hope.
Flyingnurse123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:06 pm   #32
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Flyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Oh just another quick thing! Make sure that you have been a resident in CA a year before you start school, otherwise they will charge you international tuition! There is quite a difference between international and resident fees.
Flyingnurse123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th 2016, 10:00 pm   #33
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 361
DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingnurse123 View Post
The school I applied to wanted us foreign grads to also undertake a pharm course and introduction to US nursing.

6) Took the NCLEX-RN in May and passed first time( phew! As by this time failure was NOT an option).
Taking a Pharmacology course is a great idea. If you look at the NCLEX test blueprint, pharm is up to 20% of the total content on the NCLEX. That's a big chunk.

Congrats on your first time NCLEX pass! The first time pass rate for first time foreign educated test takers is less than 30% (Stats are available on the NCSBN web site). I hope you are enjoying your new position! And yes, vacation time here sucks. That's one of the reasons why I am a nurse educator.
DebzinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th 2016, 10:29 pm   #34
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 41,988
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingnurse123 View Post
Oh just another quick thing! Make sure that you have been a resident in CA a year before you start school, otherwise they will charge you international tuition! There is quite a difference between international and resident fees.
But if the difference is less than one year's net pay you would end up ahead by paying the international rate if you're able to start working 12 months earlier.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:44 am   #35
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 361
DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingnurse123 View Post
in my facility I have 4 patients ( in the UK I had 13).
In 2004, California became the first state to establish minimum registered nurse -patient ratios. The law established specific ratios for all acute care, psychiatric, and specialty units. The ratios are the maximum number of patients that may be assigned to an RN during one shift.
DebzinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:10 am   #36
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Flyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Thank you DebzinUS for your congrats! I am glad that the patient ratios are specific to units here and not like they are in the UK, leads to improved patient safety. Yes Pulaski, I guess you could look at the international tuition rate that way. Makes sense.
Flyingnurse123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th 2016, 6:24 pm   #37
Aim89 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
Aim89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Thanks for all of your help, guys! I guess I'm just going to have to accept that there's not much more I can do before I graduate but continue to research and prepare myself for the slog once in CA! It does sound rather long and fustrating but glad to hear it's all worth it, Flyingnurse123
Aim89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:17 pm   #38
augigi Female
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,962
augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingnurse123 View Post
Oh just another quick thing! Make sure that you have been a resident in CA a year before you start school, otherwise they will charge you international tuition! There is quite a difference between international and resident fees.
Check with the college - my university charges "out of state" tuition as long as you are on any temporary visa, EVEN IF you have been resident for >1 year. Ask me how I found that out...
augigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 9:07 pm   #39
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
cardB123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

hello everyone!

Aim86 - Sorry if i have missed something, but why cant you make up the extra hours with the university you are attending now?

I am currently studying adult nursing and was planning on speaking to my tutor this week about registering to undertake some extra lectures and clinical placement in the mental health and child fields to make it up to the amount of hours you need to register with CBON? If my uni are agreeable to it of course!

Also im wondering how i will find out exactly how many hours i need?

Thanks guys, would really appreciate a response xx
cardB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2016, 2:59 am   #40
rroxas 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1
rroxas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingnurse123 View Post
Hi Aim89,
The whole process took 2 years. From May 2014 to May 2016!
1) I applied to BON on arrival, it took a lot of back and forth letters and double checking from the BON as they had never had someone from the UK from my University apply for licensure before ( I guess it will make it easier for the next person!). That took until December 12th 2014.
2) Meanwhile I was constantly looking for schools that would allow me to make up potential deficits (Silverdragon is correct! There are not many). Look out for Foreign Nurse Graduate Programs!
3) I was very lucky to find one and with letter in hand I applied and received an invite to interview in April 2015. The school I applied to wanted us foreign grads to also undertake a pharm course and introduction to US nursing in the summer of 2015.
4) Completed the course in the summer of 2015 and procured a place in fall 2015 and they allowed me to take all three courses at once (not all schools will allow this) I took Peds, OB and Psych within that 3 month semester and finished December 2015.
5) School had the transcripts ready for the CABON in January and they were sent off. Waited until late March to receive my ATT (Authorization to test) from the BON and commenced with a Kaplan R/V course for the NCLEX ( very good by the way).
6) Took the NCLEX-RN in May and passed first time( phew! As by this time failure was NOT an option)
Got my license the beginning of June and a Job the beginning of July! So like I said not easy but very worth it in the end if this is where you want/have to be. Work/life balance is similar 3 12 hr shifts etc BUT OH MY WORD the lack of holidays is going to take some getting used to lol! I had 8 weeks paid in the UK but here I get 2. I negotiated a further 3 with my new employer (unpaid) so not so bad at all.
Working conditions is dependent on where you work but in my facility I have 4 patients ( in the UK I had 13). Nursing I find is fairly universal in that regard, it is just a matter of fitting in with the team and supporting your colleagues. I hope that answers your questions. Don't lose hope.
Hi, thanks for all your information, it is very helpful, I was getting very anxious in how I was going to start all this process. I finished my diploma in Adult nursing in 2012 and now planning to move to SoCal via spousal visa. I just have a question I am trying to register with the California Board of Registered Nursing and it said that I need to register with Breeze (department of consumer affairs) but it is asking me for a SSN/ITIN number. I guess my question is, am I in the right path?
rroxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:11 pm   #41
BE Forum Addict
 
Silverdragon102's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Amherst Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,796
Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Until you get a US SSNyou can not submit application to the BON
__________________
Now a Canadian citizen 17th Feb 2016.
Silverdragon102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:06 pm   #42
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 41,988
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 View Post
Until you get a US SSN ......
Which you cannot apply for until you arrive in the US on an immigrant visa.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th 2016, 1:10 pm   #43
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
cardB123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Hi guys I have an ssn already and just want to find out what missing now as I am still completing my adult nursing in the UK? I thought it would be easier to do it now as my uni is open to helping me make up the hours?

Thanks!
cardB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th 2016, 10:15 pm   #44
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 361
DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

You wont be able to apply to the CA BON until you have your adult nursing degree completed. Having a SSN already is great. Not much happens with anything you do here without one. I have sent you a pm.
DebzinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:35 am   #45
Just Joined
 
marshmallowpie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
marshmallowpie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Hi there. I know this is an older thread but I'm in a similar situation! Brief background: I'm actually from California originally (so I have an SSN and American Passport) but have been living in the UK for yonks and did my nursing degree here.

Now the fam and I need to move to California because my mother has been diagnosed with a terminal cancer. I have everything together for my application to the CABON except for the Breakdown of Credits which my uni are actually REFUSING TO DO!

What on earth do I do? I tried contacting the RCN but they won't respond to me. I'm feeling like I'm being made to chose between my career and whatever time I have left with my mum.
marshmallowpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 6:09 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com