UK Nurse moving to California

Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Nicklaza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

Hi! I am in the same predicament as you were and I am happy that you already found a solution to this problem. May I ask what school accepted you to take your deficiency subjects?
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Flyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Nicklaza,

Glendale in SoCal. They are accepting applications from foreign grads. Great school too! I am very impressed with their nursing program. Good luck
Flyingnurse123.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Grace777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi flying nurse, I am going through the state of michigan nursing board. I have my nursing diploma, will that be okay but I am going to be taking my Nclex in a few months, thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Flyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the rough

Hi are you from the UK? If so you will have to take any deficits to become a RGN BEFORE being eligible to take the NCLEX. A UK diploma is sufficient.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 1:10 am
Just Joined

Insolence86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flyingnurse123
Quick update....FINALLY! I just wanted to say to all that are still in the stage of applying that this process is not impossible, challenging but not impossible! I am starting a course in the Summer to make up my deficits so that I can finally take the NCLEX here in Cali. So just a little note to share a little positivity and to point in the direction to the light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck everyone.
What is the name of the course and what school is it at?
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Jenny Wrens is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am in my second year of Ad nurse degree and would like to move to California upon completion. Can you recommend anything course wise I should do here please ? Also, how is it going for you now?
Thanks X
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 6:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenny Wrens
Hi, I am in my second year of Ad nurse degree and would like to move to California upon completion. Can you recommend anything course wise I should do here please ? Also, how is it going for you now?
Thanks X
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Just checking, but are you a USC or do you have a route to a visa? It's just that there's no point in paying for courses if you can't move, the OP had a route to the US through her American spouse, but most nurses don't have any way of moving there.

So just checking you've got that side of things sorted, as it needs to be the first step.

It might also be worth you asking in the main US forums, as lots more people will see your questions there.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

You could see if the university will assist you in obtaining clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult but be aware California is one of the hardest nursing boards in the US to register and this doesn't change if you went to another state first. California also will not accept applications without a US SSN and that you can't get without USC or work/immigrant visa ( as a general rule)
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Aim89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flyingnurse123
Hi are you from the UK? If so you will have to take any deficits to become a RGN BEFORE being eligible to take the NCLEX. A UK diploma is sufficient.
Hi Flyingnurse123. I hope you are enjoying So Cal! I just wondered what qualification you have from here in the UK and how you found out what deficits you had before registering for the NCLEX? I have a BSc Psychology degree and am in my final year of a MSc Adult Nursing pre-registration course. This will allow me to work as a RGN here in UK. As I do not yet have my grades - and thus an academic transcript - is there anyway of finding out what deficits I might have to complete so I can get to work completing them here, or do you have to complete them in the US?

PS, I already have a green card and therefore a SSN but the information available for International Nursing Graduates online is very lengthy but not very informative! So… Many many thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Is your pre registration course adult nursing? If so, generally speaking most UK trained nurses are short OB/Peds and Psych nursing. You will need both didactic and clinical experience that are earned concurrently. The board of nursing where you plan to take NCLEX will evaluate your course work, and then inform you of any deficits. Once the deficits are resolved the board will issue an authorization to test, then you can register for NCLEX. Each jurisdiction has minimum requirements for each course. OB/peds are usually taken as one course. In the state where I teach, the minimum is 9 credit hours. 9 hours of didactic instruction x 15 weeks, and 125 hours of clinical instruction in all areas, peds, mother/baby, Labor& Delivery, nursery etc. Each state is different. Take a look at a curriculum from a nursing program in the state where you want to work you should find course descriptions on their website. I don't think it matters where the education occurs just as long as you have it.

Last edited by DebzinUS; Jul 12th 2016 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Is your pre registration course adult nursing? If so, generally speaking most UK trained nurses are short OB/Peds and Psych nursing. You will need both didactic and clinical experience that are earned concurrently. The board of nursing where you plan to take NCLEX will evaluate your course work, and then inform you of any deficits. Once the deficits are resolved the board will issue an authorization to test, then you can register for NCLEX. Each jurisdiction has minimum requirements for each course. OB/peds are usually taken as one course. In the state where I teach, the minimum is 9 credit hours. 9 hours of didactic instruction x 15 weeks, and 125 hours of clinical instruction in all areas, peds, mother/baby, Labor& Delivery, nursery etc. Each state is different. Take a look at a curriculum from a nursing program in the state where you want to work you should find course descriptions on their website. I don't think it matters where the education occurs just as long as you have it.
Hi DebzinUS. Thanks for your reply Yes, my pre-reg course is in Adult Nursing but I was hoping my first degree in Psychology might satisfy the Psych requirement but as didactic and clinical experience need to be earned concurrently, I guess it won't. What a shame. Do you by any chance know whether the Board requires grades to assess eligibility? I have not yet graduated so have not been issued a full academic transcript but I could contact the Board with my course program to identify deficiencies? I am keen to resolve any issues so that I can start work asap after re-locating to the States. I would be moving to California btw, which I hear is one of the more stringent Nursing Boards!! I just hope I can find a school that will allow me to take only the required courses without a huge waiting list… That is looking like the unfortunate reality at the moment :\
Old Jul 12th 2016, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aim89
I have not yet graduated so have not been issued a full academic transcript but I could contact the Board with my course program to identify deficiencies? I am keen to resolve any issues so that I can start work asap after re-locating to the States. I would be moving to California btw, which I hear is one of the more stringent Nursing Boards!! I just hope I can find a school that will allow me to take only the required courses without a huge waiting list… That is looking like the unfortunate reality at the moment :\
As you haven't graduated I seriously doubt they would assess any potential outstanding areas...you are not an RN yet. There is nothing to assess, you are missing everything Once you have completed your program and have a registration, it's a different story. As far as your Psychology degree...It's Psychology, and not mental health nursing. There are obviously areas where the two will overlap, but without concurrent clinical experiences you are probably out of luck. I registered in the UK in 1984. I finally gave up and started over, I completed a new degree program in Michigan. Back then no schools of nursing would allow me to make up the missing components. Luckily, it seems that is no longer the case. If your course work did not include OB/Peds and MH nursing, you know that you will have to take those courses. The good news is that you will have far more med/surg experience than most new grads here If you IM me I will email you our OB/peds syllabus, so you will have an idea of what that one course might look like.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi Aim89,
I completed my Bachelor in Nursing (Adult) in the UK
Sorry to be the bearer of difficult (not bad) news, but DebzinUS is right. You will need your transcripts first and a thorough breakdown of courses from your uni to apply to the CABON. You can do this from the UK as you have your SSN. They took approx 7 months to finally give me that magic letter that correctly outlined the deficits I had in my Adult Nurse training, i.e. Peds, OB and psych (no Med/Surg).
Secondly you will have to find a school in Cali that has a foreign nurse grad program that you can fulfill BON requirements. You will need that letter to show to the school of your choice at application.
I know all this sounds frustrating (and it is) but it is worth it in the end. Where in Cali are you going to relocate? When? If I can offer any more advice I am happy to do so. I am no expert but happy to answer questions along your journey. Best of luck finishing your degree.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Hi both. Thank you both for your help so far, it has been very useful!

Flyingnurse123 - I have family in North Cali (San Jose) so I will be moving there. I don't graduate for another year but I was hoping there was something that I could do before then to aid the process so that there isn't such a delay in qualifying and not being able to get my CA RN licence. I guess there isn't tho :/. May I ask how long you had to wait in total before gaining your CA licensure? How long did it take to complete the courses that you were deficient in? I have a CNA license from CA but I'm assuming this won't really contiribute to the deficiencies as they will need to be at undergrad level? Ah, it's all so frustrating but glad to hear it is worth it in the end! How do you find the work-life balance/ working conditions in South Cal as opposed to UK? Thanks again... It really is a big help!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Many are still waiting to make up the courses as many have struggled to find somewhere, and those they found had long waiting lists or cost a lot of $$$$$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.