UK Nurse moving to California

Old Sep 1st 2013, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Flyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the rough
Default UK Nurse moving to California

Hi All;

Are there any nurses' trained in the UK as an adult nurse going through the process of becoming registered with the Californian BON? I am moving to So Cal at the beginning of next year on a spousal visa. I realise that I will have to complete obstetrics, paeds and mental health but I can not find out from the BON exactly how many hours I need in these disciplines. I know in Cal they have to be concurrent, but how many? I also am a degree trained nurse and I wonder if I completed these courses in a community college would that mean the BON would register me as an associate degree nurse? AKA an RN 1? Do universities let you dip into their programme to complete these courses? I was previously accepted into UCLA into the Masters in Nursing programme; however, even the school were not aware that I was not eligible to take the NCLEX and therefore should not have offered me the place. I can not send my transcripts at this point as I am still in the UK and I do not have my SSN which Cal BON requires. Help!!!!!! I would just like to start training as soon as I arrive as I will miss nursing so much and would prefer NOT to de-skill and not be proactive in completing these requirements.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse moving to California

May want to consider another state to get registered with as not all require US SSN. Otherwise you will struggle. Do you have clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health and Obstetrics on your transcripts? Until you get a letter from the state stating you are deficient I think you will have problems getting accepted into courses. Also in CA have seem many post on another website that there are no places that will take them just to make up the hours they are short
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingnurse123
Hi All;

Are there any nurses' trained in the UK as an adult nurse going through the process of becoming registered with the Californian BON? I am moving to So Cal at the beginning of next year on a spousal visa. I realise that I will have to complete obstetrics, paeds and mental health but I can not find out from the BON exactly how many hours I need in these disciplines. I know in Cal they have to be concurrent, but how many? I also am a degree trained nurse and I wonder if I completed these courses in a community college would that mean the BON would register me as an associate degree nurse? AKA an RN 1? Do universities let you dip into their programme to complete these courses? I was previously accepted into UCLA into the Masters in Nursing programme; however, even the school were not aware that I was not eligible to take the NCLEX and therefore should not have offered me the place. I can not send my transcripts at this point as I am still in the UK and I do not have my SSN which Cal BON requires. Help!!!!!! I would just like to start training as soon as I arrive as I will miss nursing so much and would prefer NOT to de-skill and not be proactive in completing these requirements.
Each BON will have a different requirement. The BON doesn't care what degree you have as all RN applicants have to meet the same basic nursing requirements regardless of level of education. The board will give you a license to practice as an RN once you pass the NCLEX. There is no RN 1 here, just RN. Your license will say RN whether you are an ADN, or have a doctorate Employers will be interested though!

I teach in a university nursing program and generally you can't just take the classes you need to meet the board requirement. However, you may want to go ahead and touch base with a dean of a nursing program in the area where you will be living and explain your circumstances. I think community college is a great way to go, much less expensive than a university. You will probably need a minimum of 2 courses. One OB/peds which in many colleges is a combined course and one Psych nursing. The OB/peds in my school is 9 credits (9 hrs a week lecture & 125 hrs clinical over 16 weeks) and the Psych is 4 credit hours.

Last edited by DebzinUS; Sep 1st 2013 at 9:51 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:03 am
Just Joined

kg12g10 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is currently what I am planning to do, I want to be in San Francisco as soon as possible! Have you received any other advice since september?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

muddman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm a nurse from the UK want to work in California. I'm in a very similar position to Flyingnurse123 as I'm also moving to LA next year on a spousal visa. I also realise that I will have to complete obstetrics, paeds and mental health course to be able to get my Cali licence. I was wondering if I can do any courses in the UK to transfer over to the US or if I have to go through a college in the US. I also currently live and work in Saudi so any course I take would have to be e-learning. I want to start the classes asap if I can?! Does anyone know if this is possible or will I have to wait until I get to the US to start taking classes? Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muddman
Hi I'm a nurse from the UK want to work in California. I'm in a very similar position to Flyingnurse123 as I'm also moving to LA next year on a spousal visa. I also realise that I will have to complete obstetrics, paeds and mental health course to be able to get my Cali licence. I was wondering if I can do any courses in the UK to transfer over to the US or if I have to go through a college in the US. I also currently live and work in Saudi so any course I take would have to be e-learning. I want to start the classes asap if I can?! Does anyone know if this is possible or will I have to wait until I get to the US to start taking classes? Thanks
Courses are generally clinical and theory and must be done together. CA have been really strict these last 12 + months on clinical and theory done at the same time. Also not aware of any courses in the UK that do top up and I don't think there have been for several years when retrogression started. Courses also have to be done by an approved vendor to the state. May be worth checking out the CA BRN website or the Nurse Registration forum under World on allnurses.com

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 8th 2014 at 11:39 am. Reason: changed an = to +
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks Silverdragon! I called the Cali BON yesterday and was not able to get an answer, so I have emailed them and am waiting. I also called around and spoke to various RN programs norcal to LA and they all say because of impaction that will NOT allow a RN student to enter their program for just 3 courses. I have an awful feeling all schools will tell me this. Im interested in finding out what Flyingnurse123 has done?

Does anyone know if I can take these specific three courses out of state and transfer them over to Cali BON??

Thank you!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if I can take these specific three courses out of state and transfer them over to Cali BON??

Thank you!
I am pretty sure that the CA BON will want courses from an approved/accredited School of Nursing or vendor. What you may be able to do is become licensed in another state, and then endorse to California. From a nurse educators viewpoint it seems ridiculous that we can't offer these courses in the US.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I am pretty sure that the CA BON will want courses from an approved/accredited School of Nursing or vendor. What you may be able to do is become licensed in another state, and then endorse to California. From a nurse educators viewpoint it seems ridiculous that we can't offer these courses in the US.
Im currently looking at getting my ATT through Michigan, the CGNFS has requested a more detailed transcript from my school just recently. So im in process with Michigan. But I keep reading that it doesn't matter if you have RN NCLEX from different state and try endorsement the BON still requires for you to submit and Send Breakdown of Educational Program for International Nursing Programs. Which means they will see that I am missing those 3 courses I need- OB,Peds and Psych Nursing... and in the long run I will still need to take those courses in a approved school in Cali.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
My understanding is CA do their own assessment so the issue is still there when endorsing. Have seen this issue mentioned/discussed several times on allnurses and there have been a couple of nursing schools offering catch up courses but many are reluctant to name them and others say its a trial and/or has a couple of years waiting list
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Im currently looking at getting my ATT through Michigan, the CGNFS has requested a more detailed transcript from my school just recently. So im in process with Michigan. But I keep reading that it doesn't matter if you have RN NCLEX from different state and try endorsement the BON still requires for you to submit and Send Breakdown of Educational Program for International Nursing Programs. Which means they will see that I am missing those 3 courses I need- OB,Peds and Psych Nursing... and in the long run I will still need to take those courses in a approved school in Cali.
If you are missing the three areas I would be surprised if Michigan approve application as the US require all areas
Old Jun 25th 2014, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Flyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the roughFlyingnurse123 is a jewel in the rough

Hi All;

I have now arrived in SoCal and as I suspected there are problems/hurdles to overcome. I have been in touch with a few schools who can not fit me into their programs. I am still waiting to hear back from the BON regarding the deficits they want me to complete. I even looked into an entry level masters program. Guess what? I am NOT eligible! because I already have a BSN. This is incredibly frustrating and disheartening. As I am making my way through the mire of all things BON I will keep you posted. Is there anyone out there with knowledge of how this all works?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

Flying Nurse - Do you have any LPN - RN short (1 year) conversion courses in your area? Maybe worth exploring if they'll make an exception and allow an international RN on that program to complete the missing courses? You'd probably have to complete the whole year but...worth it?

Last edited by PootleK; Jul 23rd 2014 at 6:55 am. Reason: Forgot to mention whole year
Old Mar 15th 2015, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

OK I have been here now for 9 months. I have received notification from the BON in California regarding the deficits I have to take( Psych and Obstetrics/Paeds) So far there are only two schools in my area that are willing to place me on their waiting list. All of the others are impacted at this time. It has been a challenging process and very discouraging. All of the colleges have said I am not eligible to take the full course. RIDICULOUS! especially if I were willing to pay! Soooo........ I am applying to positions within medical offices but as i have no experience with the US healthcare system this is proving unsuccessful (So far). Anyone else out there who has successfully been through this recently? Is it worth it? Maybe anyone who has changed career direction?
Old Jun 8th 2015, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Quick update....FINALLY! I just wanted to say to all that are still in the stage of applying that this process is not impossible, challenging but not impossible! I am starting a course in the Summer to make up my deficits so that I can finally take the NCLEX here in Cali. So just a little note to share a little positivity and to point in the direction to the light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck everyone.

Last edited by Flyingnurse123; Jun 8th 2015 at 10:39 pm. Reason: missing words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.