uk nurse to canada?

Old Sep 4th 2011, 9:10 am
Just Joined

lianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nice
Default uk nurse to canada?

HI

I am a registered mental health nurse in the uk (i have an advanced diploma). My husband and I would like to move to alberta with our 2 children (3 and 16months). any tips or advice? how easy will it be to gain employment after registration? will alberta health services use the provincial nominee programme or will i have to go FSW route before gaining employment! also how long will it take! I have checked out the salary for nurses in alberta is that a good wage in relation to cost of living?sorry so many questions but just starting out and its all so daunting!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:50 am
Just Joined

newjerseychick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: uk nurse to canada?

I'd be interested too - I lost out 2 years ago as my application got to the visa office the day after they changed the job list and hubby's job got taken off grrr!

Since then I have been studying childrens nursing. My dream is to go to Canada but from what i hear they are qualified in all 4 areas (adult, child etc)and in the UK we train under one...

My immigration lawyer says I would get a visa BUT I wouldn't get a job without further training.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has done this?

Anne-Marie
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjerseychick
My immigration lawyer says I would get a visa BUT I wouldn't get a job without further training.
Don't forget you'd also need to have worked for at least one year full-time as a registered nurse to qualify. Don't know when you will finish your studying, but obviously that will add another year to your timeline before you'd be eligible, so something to bear in mind - and just keep fingers crossed that nurses are still on 'the list' by then!

Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Fingers crossed!

My immigration lawyer said that the placement side of the course would cover the one years full-time work? he may be wrong though :-(

My course is the two year masters/pgdip. If I dont get in i'll come as a student and do the PHD

Seriously i'd just give up and cry I think. We got so excited last time for it all to just fall apart. We missed the application change by one day!

I look around the rest of the world and no where seems to appeal like Canada even the Cyamans lol
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think a placement did count (as it must be a year of working as a *qualified* nurse, which presumably you wouldn't be during a study placement?), but I guess it depends on whether you'll definitely do the duties listed under the NOC code during your placement and whether you'll be a registered nurse during that year (no idea how it works, if you are a registered nurse before qualifying or not).

What a shame you missed out by one day! What NOC did you try and apply under previously, was this in 2010?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Yes it was pre 2010 - they changed the NOC at 5.00 close of business (with no warning) on the Saturday and our visa application got there on the Monday! I blame the postal service lol

Hubby was applying under two NOC jobs. If I remember rightly it was financial advisor and auditor.... I am a qualified librarian but they took that off before 2008

Does every province in Canada ask for all 4 areas?

Anne-Marie
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes it was pre 2010 - they changed the NOC at 5.00 close of business (with no warning) on the Saturday and our visa application got there on the Monday! I blame the postal service lol
To be fair to CIC, they had announced early in 2010 that they would be changing the list of eligible occupations, and had a public consultation on the changes, so not sure 'with no warning' is quite accurate! In fact, it was later than anticipated, most of us in the Canada forum were expecting the list to change in May but it didn't change until 26th June in the end.

Hubby was applying under two NOC jobs. If I remember rightly it was financial advisor and auditor.... I am a qualified librarian but they took that off before 2008
Yep, financial manager was one of the eligible occuptions prior to 2010. What a shame, but at least you have a back up with your nursing. And I assume you've explored all the other 50 or so visa routes to see if any of those would be an option?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea on nursing requirements for Canada - the thread title just caught my eye but I only know about the immigration side of things. Hopefully one of our pros such as Silverdragon will be along to help shortly though.

Good luck.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes every province required you to be general trained in Paeds, Mental Health, obstetrics and Adult. There are a couple of provinces that accept you if you are RMN but are restricted where you can work.

As mentioned I doubt placement will count as requirements on CIC are paid employment

For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:

* include the results of your official language proficiency test, AND
* have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
* have one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in at least one of the occupations listed here.

Work experience minimum requirements

If your application is eligible for processing, it will then be assessed against minimum requirements.

Your work experience must be:

* for at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time), AND
* Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list, AND
* within the last 10 years.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Take this from one who has been through the process, had to do a couple of courses because university didn't separate my theory hours on my transcripts and took CRNE last year, passed it and now working as a RN

Even if you meet requirements some provinces require you to sit and pass some form of assessment like SEC and only passing that will you get eligibility to sit CRNE. You have to pass this to be able to work as a RN in Canada and is only taken in Canada three times a year

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Sep 6th 2011 at 12:09 pm. Reason: add link
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Silver dragon....

So I do need a job straight after I qualify for a year or so....

It does seem like a very long process but it does mean only the resilient and patient get in.

By no NOC warning I meant no warning as to the actual date. I wished i'd been on this forum then as I would have made sure the application was done a lot quicker

Oh well it was a good thing in one way as i've been able to go back to UNi to do my nursing. One door shuts and all that.

Anne-Marie
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Silver dragon....

So I do need a job straight after I qualify for a year or so....

It does seem like a very long process but it does mean only the resilient and patient get in.

By no NOC warning I meant no warning as to the actual date. I wished i'd been on this forum then as I would have made sure the application was done a lot quicker

Oh well it was a good thing in one way as i've been able to go back to UNi to do my nursing. One door shuts and all that.

Anne-Marie
You will need to get a job as soon as you can and only once you have 12 months experience can you apply. The forms do ask for dates employed and where.

Remember there is also a cap on the list and this year it is 500 each profession and RN is going fast

Another option you can look at but a lot will depend on the province you wish to live and work is find a employer and look at the TWP route (I don't think you need 12 months experience for that) and apply for PR once you have 12 months experience

We are here in on a TWP and waiting for London UK to get their fingers out with our PR application and we sent it to them over 12 months ago but thankful we are here and working
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Ah thank you once again silverdragon. I will definatley look at that.

Do you think e-mailing c.v etc would work or is it best to write/fax and or phone? I suppose as well it would have to be a province that will employ a paeds nurse?

Alternativvely hubby could try and get a job. He works for HSBC and got down to a final 3 on a job advert in Alberta but they took a Canadian which is fair enough ...

Anne-Marie
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

lianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nicelianne1985 is just really nice
Question Re: uk nurse to canada?

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Yes every province required you to be general trained in Paeds, Mental Health, obstetrics and Adult. There are a couple of provinces that accept you if you are RMN but are restricted where you can work.
Do you know if ALberta is one of them. have emailed the crpna but they are slow on responding?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah thank you once again silverdragon. I will definatley look at that.

Do you think e-mailing c.v etc would work or is it best to write/fax and or phone? I suppose as well it would have to be a province that will employ a paeds nurse?

Alternativvely hubby could try and get a job. He works for HSBC and got down to a final 3 on a job advert in Alberta but they took a Canadian which is fair enough ...

Anne-Marie
Format your resume to fit in with Canada and make it only a couple of pages long. emailing it with phone call follow up a couple of weeks later but be prepared for not hearing anything. i applied for several jobs where there was supposed to be a shortage of nurses and only one place responded and that was after I phoned the recruiter for feedback. The issue isn't as much as employing a Paeds nurse as much as meeting requirements and getting eligibility to sit CRNE as that is what the employer will be looking for.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lianne1985
Do you know if ALberta is one of them. have emailed the crpna but they are slow on responding?
This thread may help http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658293

Here are a few other links
http://www.crpna.ab.ca/
http://crpnm.mb.ca/CRPNM_v2/
http://www.cna-nurses.ca/CNA/nursing...default_e.aspx
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you i will have a look now