Help please UK GP to Canada GMC questions

Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

syphern is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help please UK GP to Canada GMC questions

Hi guys I will be moving to Canada soon have everything in place I needed to ask about GMC and keeping my license to practice.

If Canada doesn't workout for me I would want the option to come back - what would you advise in terms of my GMC membership?

Secondly, I would also like to continue paying into my state pension for UK I have been paying into it for the past 7 years or so since starting work - has anyone else been in this situation?

I will be putting my house on rent here in the UK - would I have to pay tax on this in both countries? Anyone in a similar situation?? When would I tell HMRC I am moving?

Thank you, I am grateful for your help. Sorry if the questions are stupid/basic
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please UK GP to Canada GMC questions

I'm no Doctor but here's my opinion.
1. Why not ask the GMC? Probably means paying your annual licence fee.
2. Yes, you can continue paying into your UK State Pension - think it's now class 3 contributions. Ask the DWP , they'll sort you out. Many expats do this.
3.House Rent. Believe you can offset any UK tax paid against your Canadian tax under the double Taxation Treaty Double Taxation Treaties: territory residents with UK
income - Publications - GOV.UK
4. When you have a date for moving, fill in form P85 from HMRC website. I suggest you enrol in the Government Gateway before you leave. Government Gateway - Home This allows you to , for example, access your UK tax records online and if you opt for paperless communication, there is no waiting for letters to arrive from the UK. Works very well.
Others may be along with more pertinent info but hopefully this will get you started.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:42 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please UK GP to Canada GMC questions

Originally Posted by syphern
Hi guys I will be moving to Canada soon have everything in place I needed to ask about GMC and keeping my license to practice.

If Canada doesn't workout for me I would want the option to come back - what would you advise in terms of my GMC membership?

Secondly, I would also like to continue paying into my state pension for UK I have been paying into it for the past 7 years or so since starting work - has anyone else been in this situation?

I will be putting my house on rent here in the UK - would I have to pay tax on this in both countries? Anyone in a similar situation?? When would I tell HMRC I am moving?

Thank you, I am grateful for your help. Sorry if the questions are stupid/basic
Welcome on the forum

We are two GPs who moved to BC from the UK in 2009- there are some who have moved more recently and they may pitch in if they spot this thread. It probably applies in all countries so isnt a daft place to post - an alternative would be in the Canada forum. Of the two of us, Snoopdawg, my other half was the sensible one- she told the GMC and "Left the Register in Good standing" - I on the other hand just let mine lapse. TBH I doubt that it would make that much difference it would be equally tedious/expensive and time consuming if we did want to go back-we dont!
This link explains it- I expect that you have seen it

GMC | Applying to give up your registration or licence to practise and what to do if you want to get them back

We did work alongside a British Dr. who came over for abour four years but due to family circumstances had to go back. Interestingly he used to go back every year for his appraisal/revalidation which was interesting and perhaps suggested that he was certainly keeping his options open just in case. It is certainly possible to do as was proven by him.

It's difficult to say how often GPs go back, to be honest, we cut our bridges as we could see that the NHS even at that time was becoming intolerable. Have a look at the GP thread with regard to GPs-you will find this in the Canadian part of this forum, this is a mine of information which hopefully will be helpful to you as it contains a lot of stuff with regard to transferring your skills over to Canada, life is the GP etc.. Please feel free to add to that thread with any questions if you are seeking a more Canadian slant on things.
I hope that this helps the medical side of things anyhow-others can give you further information on the pension/Brent issues/paperwork side of things

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...ioners-781626/