Scrub ODP moving to Ais

Old Mar 13th 2017, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

MissODP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scrub ODP moving to Ais

Hi I've been a qualified ODP for 3 and a half years but for multiple reasons I've remained in my initial role of Scrub. I've wanted to move to Australia ever since I can remember and now I feel now is the time to do it. I plan on moving over to Western Australia in March 2018 on one visa or another and Ideally would love to continue being an ODP. Now I understand that we do not scrub or recover in Aus, however I've kept up basic skills by observation, keeping up with clinical updates ect. Is this enough to be able to come over and have a go at a new life? I'm hoping I can get some Anaesthetic Shifts over the next year however at my hospital it's not always easy. Any advice? I'm open to advice for everything here! Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 14th 2017, 9:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrub ODP moving to Ais

Originally Posted by MissODP
Hi I've been a qualified ODP for 3 and a half years but for multiple reasons I've remained in my initial role of Scrub. I've wanted to move to Australia ever since I can remember and now I feel now is the time to do it. I plan on moving over to Western Australia in March 2018 on one visa or another and Ideally would love to continue being an ODP. Now I understand that we do not scrub or recover in Aus, however I've kept up basic skills by observation, keeping up with clinical updates ect. Is this enough to be able to come over and have a go at a new life? I'm hoping I can get some Anaesthetic Shifts over the next year however at my hospital it's not always easy. Any advice? I'm open to advice for everything here! Thank you in advance!
Start with Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to find out whether you actually qualify for a visa - 189 skilled independent would be best, if you meet the requirements. You will need to be able to pass the skills assessment for your paricuar skill, so check that out in detail.

You also need to look at AHPRA and check that you meet their requirements for registration.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

MissODP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Start with Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to find out whether you actually qualify for a visa - 189 skilled independent would be best, if you meet the requirements. You will need to be able to pass the skills assessment for your paricuar skill, so check that out in detail.

You also need to look at AHPRA and check that you meet their requirements for registration.
Thanks for the reply! It's a lot to think about an organise! The visas alone baffle me!
Old Jul 14th 2017, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Bristol girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I have been living in Sydney Australia for 10 years, I was also an ODP in UK which is not recognised here,I did undertake some agency shifts as anaesthetic assistant when I first got here, but could not get a job in public or private hospital as an ODP. I appreciate it may be different where you are going but just keep this is mind, if your training has a university degree it may be different for you. I had to undertake endorsed enrolled nurse training to get back into healthcare. Good Luck