RGN's working in Maternity hospital

Old May 12th 2007, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ronnie and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RGN's working in Maternity hospital

Hi everyone ive just been reading some posts and was interested to read that RGN's are working in Maternity hospitals. Is this right and if so what are there duties. I have always toyed with the idea of doing my midwifery training but have been put off by several midwives here in the UK.
I thought if i did get a job in a maternity hospital then it might inspire me to do midwifery or the opposite We hope to move to Brisbane in June 2008 on a 136 Skills visa. Look forward to your replies thanks Debbie
Old May 12th 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Default Re: RGN's working in Maternity hospital

Hi im hoping to do the 18 month shortened course in september so il be dual qualified when i go out. My ultimate aim is to work on the flying doctor service as they like the flight nurses to be dual qualified. I posted on here earlier and a midwife did warn me that the aus midwife qualification is not recognised in the uk (or not transferable) which would probally mean doing a bridging course if you go back to the UK.

They are still taking applicants on the september course if you were interested at most uni's and you get a salary while you train.
Old May 12th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for your reply but i don't want to do the midwifery course here. One because i don't know if i would like midwifery, never having worked on maternity and two i hope to be in Brisbane before July 2008. Thanks anyway and good luck to you.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ronnie and Deb
Hi thanks for your reply but i don't want to do the midwifery course here. One because i don't know if i would like midwifery, never having worked on maternity and two i hope to be in Brisbane before July 2008. Thanks anyway and good luck to you.
Hi Ronnie and Deb,

Not sure about Aus but we have RGN's on our maternity units in the UK. They mainly look after the post C section mums and babes - cheaper to employ than band 6 midwives and provide "efficient surgical and neonatal care" - quote by our midwifery director !
They have recently been allowed to care for 'normal' uncomplicated post natal mums and babes as well - although they always refer queries onto the midwives.

They are not allowed to check the 'uterus' for involution but they do everything else - pain relief, breast feeding support, neonatal care, personal care, parent education

They are NOT allowed to do any antenatal care or give out antenatal medication.

Midwives spend time with antenatal mums and complicated post natal mums and RGN's spend time with C sections and 'normal' deliveries.They liase closely with the midwives and work really well together.

I expect that it is much the same in Aus but I cannot say for sure. You can always see how the land lies when you get there and make a decision about doing your midwifery in Aus - no point doing it here cause there's no jobs anyway !
Old May 16th 2007, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Caddy hope that's the case down under
Old May 18th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hi,

From what I hear from the girls in our maternity unit, the majority of midwives here are nurses first who have then taken a further 12 month course to become a midwife. Indeed, to be registered as a midwife here I think you have to be first registered as a nurse although I think that is changing.
To be honest and from my point of view, here I would rather been seen after giving birth by a nurse rather than just a midwife or at least an english nurse who has been specifically trained in midwifery....(but then it could be different in other states/hospitals)