Processing time 189 for registered nurse HELP please

Old Aug 4th 2016, 11:09 am
Just Joined

McQueJ91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Processing time 189 for registered nurse HELP please

Hi, I am a registered nurse in Scotland, in the process of moving to Australia with my Australian partner. I have had a positive skills assessment, international police check, have applied to ahpra and have paid the fee for a 189 visa, having been invited to apply.

My question is does anyone know roughly how long the rest of the process is likely to take? My partner has to leave the uk at the end of September and I will of course be devastated if my visa is not through on the for me to go too. My medical is booked for the 23rd of August and I believe that is the only thing left outstanding.

Any info will be appreciated.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 2:52 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processing time 189 for registered nurse HELP please

Originally Posted by McQueJ91
Hi, I am a registered nurse in Scotland, in the process of moving to Australia with my Australian partner. I have had a positive skills assessment, international police check, have applied to ahpra and have paid the fee for a 189 visa, having been invited to apply.

My question is does anyone know roughly how long the rest of the process is likely to take? My partner has to leave the uk at the end of September and I will of course be devastated if my visa is not through on the for me to go too. My medical is booked for the 23rd of August and I believe that is the only thing left outstanding.

Any info will be appreciated.
The international police check will not meet DIBP criteria - you will need to get ACRO for UK (and police checks from any other country that you have lived in for I think 12 months in the last 10 years or have a criminal record in).

How long it takes will depend on if you supplied sufficient info, that your CO does not go on holiday during processing, that references can be checked easily and quickly, etc.

You could also try notifying CO that partner is going to Australia on date given. You could travel on a tourist visa during processing but would have to leave for grant I think (trip to NZ or Bali will do for example). If it is close to grant, it might speed things up as well.

Did you go for 189 as cheaper than partner visa?
Old Aug 7th 2016, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I chose to do the 189 visa rather than a partner visa for two reasons. One being that i was told this generally has a faster processing time and also for my own security, in case anything was to happen with my relationship in the future. I don't think there was much of a difference in cost.

I have yet to be granted a CO. Do you know if they notify me by email? I hope it is soon as I am finding it a bit of a nightmare trying to upload documents to immi account. Thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely mention when my partner is leaving when I finally get allocated a CO.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 12:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McQueJ91
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I chose to do the 189 visa rather than a partner visa for two reasons. One being that i was told this generally has a faster processing time and also for my own security, in case anything was to happen with my relationship in the future. I don't think there was much of a difference in cost.

I have yet to be granted a CO. Do you know if they notify me by email? I hope it is soon as I am finding it a bit of a nightmare trying to upload documents to immi account. Thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely mention when my partner is leaving when I finally get allocated a CO.
CO's only generally make contact if they are needing something extra from you. Processing time guideline for the 189 is given as 3 months - https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/8 and information on allocation dates is here - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/...n-applications

I used an agent at the end of my application so never had to upload the documents so can't help with that, but you could check out the Australian visa section - Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) - British Expats - to see if anyone has any advice to make it go more smoothly
Old Aug 13th 2016, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

mgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond reputemgreaves has a reputation beyond repute

Not very useful, I've been away for a while but trying to help! When I applied for my 189 I got a reply within a week, as in full grant. So it all depends on how correct your initial submission is. Ahpra does take a while though, but for you I assume the 189 is more important!

If say upload as much as possible and more than needed. For example I wrote the Co a letter before he was assign detailing my relationship, when we met, how it progressed etc.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

My co has been in touch to request a couple of things , including my medical.

I am hopeful they will receive that pretty soon after I have it on he 23rd and I will then get allocated my visa.

Ahpra are an absolute nightmare! They are requesting different copies of my certified documents as they apparently cannot read the JPs writing. Funny since the same documents were submitted to Anmac and immigration with no issues