NZ route to APHRA

Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sam13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ route to APHRA

Hi! We were planning a move to NZ but our plans have changed due to my husband's job prospects looking better in Oz. I am a diploma trained paeds nurse with 16 years experience, and have already submitted my reg application to NCNZ, so rather than top up my diploma and go the traditional route, it would seem to make more sense to continue down the NZ route and transfer using the TTMR.

However I can't find much out about this online, I was just having an initial consultation with a migration agent who said that I definitely can't do this route as ANMAC/visa will still recognise my diploma as a level 6 qualification not the required level 7, but I had read somewhere on a forum that if NCNZ acknowledge your diploma as equivalent to their degree by giving you registration, then for modified ANMAC/visa purposes it would count as degree equivalent level (Ie AQF 7)?? Anyone know which is correct?

Sorry for the confusing post!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ route to APHRA

According to INZ if you have professionally registered then your qualification is automatically classed as whatever it needs to be to gain that registration..... as far as I know with the Trans tasmin agreement you are registered and that's that Aphra will accept you
Old Mar 15th 2017, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the TTMR to get registration in Australia. Admittedly I have had NZ registration for about 15 years but I achieved registration with AHPRA without too much difficulty. From what I understand, if you are legally allowed to practice as a nurse in NZ (ie. you have a current annual practice certificate) then you can transfer the qualification to Australia. My AHPRA application took 2 weeks to process using the trans-tasman agreement route. I trained in 1989 at certificate level although at the time of applying to NZ I had my critical care diploma. And as a final add on by the time I applied for AHPRA I had my Masters. I sent a notarised copy of the certificate with my application but I am sure that this was not asked for in the application.

Steven
Old Mar 15th 2017, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou both, you're saying the same that I thought! The agent I spoke to today said that you can't magically turn a diploma into a degree regardless of whether New Zealand register you. "The only option is to do a top up degree which is not exactly hard is it?" Umm... well yea it kinda is with 3 kids and a job!!

Steven how long did your modified anmac take before you could sort APHRA? Just trying to suss out timings for visa applications etc
Old Mar 15th 2017, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sam13
Thankyou both, you're saying the same that I thought! The agent I spoke to today said that you can't magically turn a diploma into a degree regardless of whether New Zealand register you. "The only option is to do a top up degree which is not exactly hard is it?" Umm... well yea it kinda is with 3 kids and a job!!

Steven how long did your modified anmac take before you could sort APHRA? Just trying to suss out timings for visa applications etc
I didn't need to do a modified ANMAC. I suspect I my NZ registration already included a skills assessment and there was nothing about it on the trans-tasman application either. I just applied for an NZ annual practice certificate which they granted once I provided a certificate of good standing from the NMC. They asked for the COGS as I had not worked in NZ for years.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:21 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

If you get your NZ registration I can't see the problem as the trans tasman nursing registration is very straightforward. Have you seen the form?

Click the trans tasman option half way down this page: Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia - Forms
Old Mar 18th 2017, 11:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
If you get your NZ registration I can't see the problem as the trans tasman nursing registration is very straightforward. Have you seen the form?

Click the trans tasman option half way down this page: Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia - Forms
I agree, it is very simple.
They aren't looking at the degree/diploma situation because your qualifications have already been approved by the board in NZ. That is all AHPRA are looking at here.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 12:15 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I agree, it is very simple.
They aren't looking at the degree/diploma situation because your qualifications have already been approved by the board in NZ. That is all AHPRA are looking at here.
I have often wondered why all Oz migrants don't go down this route as NZ registration is (or used to be) very straightforward and simpler than Oz. Probably changed now that NZ is moving towards degree quals.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 12:46 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have often wondered why all Oz migrants don't go down this route as NZ registration is (or used to be) very straightforward and simpler than Oz. Probably changed now that NZ is moving towards degree quals.
Yeah I guess the day will come when diploma nurses will np loger be able to register in NZ, but until then its a good route, especially with AHPRA changing their goal posts week by week!
Old Mar 19th 2017, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

So it seems the agent isn't informed on this route then!!

If you transfer your reg to Oz, do you need to maintain the nz reg or renew your APC? Or equally do you choose to maintain your NMC reg and revalidate? Thanks as always
Old Mar 19th 2017, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

If you transfer your reg to Oz, do you need to maintain the nz reg or renew your APC? Or equally do you choose to maintain your NMC reg and revalidate? Thanks as always

I have no plans to renew my NZ APC but I will maintain the NMC for the next 3 years as I only revalidated in Jan 2017.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 9:16 pm
---

My husband hasn't maintained his NZ reg (because it's so simple to get it again via trans tasman if needed) but has maintained UK NMC as that is a bit trickier.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 9:35 pm
Home and Happy

My husband hasn't maintained his NZ reg (because it's so simple to get it again via trans tasman if needed) but has maintained UK NMC as that is a bit trickier.
I'd support that too. Losing NMC creates a nightmare if you ever want to try and get it back. Similarly with AHPRA, let it lapse and its hellish toregain it.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Brilliant thanks, that's really useful to know. Fingers crossed for NCNZ reg approval now then!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry one last question, have any of you completed an EOI for 189 PR visa with NZ nursing registration?

Just been looking at the EOI form and it asks what qualification I have. I know that for APHRA purposes, if the NCNZ reg is approved then my Diploma will be seen as degree equivalent but not sure how it works for visa/EOI purposes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.