Nursing pay scales

Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

NRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant future
Default Nursing pay scales

Hi all,
I need some advice - I am a nurse with 13 years experience in the peri operative field. What are the wages like for a nurse with my kind of experience? I am a band 6 nurse in the uk.

Nicola
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing pay scales

May help if you say which country you are interested in
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

NRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
May help if you say which country you are interested in
Apologies forgot to say Australia, WA

Nicola
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on whether you work in a public or private hospital. It also depends where AHPRA place you in the register (when you register). Sometimes, the placement appears low. SRN level 1 is $90k - you may be higher or lower.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by genorm
It depends on whether you work in a public or private hospital. It also depends where AHPRA place you in the register (when you register). Sometimes, the placement appears low. SRN level 1 is $90k - you may be higher or lower.
Hi,
Sorry to sound daft but is there a lot of pay difference from public to private hospitals?
Also can I ask do AHPRA place you on the register according to your nursing experience in years etc? As you mentioned above if they place you low and you disagree can you dispute it?
One last question, what is SRN level 1 equivalent to, Band 5/ 6 nurse in uk?

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the questions.

Nicola

Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what genorm means by ''it depends where AHPRA place you on the register''
If you are a registered nurse, you will be registered as such, it doesn't have any bearing on your salary. Employers will determine your years of experience based on the evidence you supply, so if you have been qualified for 4 years and are employed as a level one RN, you will be paid as RN level 1, year 4. Not sure about WA but in QLD the years generally go up to year 8.
You need to provide statements of employment from past employers, detailing how long you were employed, what level/position and how many hours per week. In some cases a statutory declaration will be accepted if you can't get statements from employers but it is best to get as much info together as you can. If you can't or don't provide any evidence, employers can and often do place you on year one pay until you provide the evidence, even if you have been qualified and working for decades.

Below are a couple of links to info.
Public system has different agreements than the private hospitals and community based organisations mostly come under the nurses award 2010.

http://www.apna.asn.au/lib/pdf/Caree..._20Jun2013.pdf

http://www.nursing.health.wa.gov.au/working/salary.cfm
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NRyan2
Hi all,
I need some advice - I am a nurse with 13 years experience in the peri operative field. What are the wages like for a nurse with my kind of experience? I am a band 6 nurse in the uk.

Nicola
Depends what job you apply for. As an RN (level 1) you would be a 1.8, approx. $75,000pa.

As a band 6 you may want to apply for a clinical nurse position (level 2) which is a shift leader/charge nurse kind of position, so $75,000-80,000. With 13 years experience and a band 6 you should expect to receive a level 2.4. It can be difficult to compare as roles slightly different.

This applies to WA, not sure about other states.....
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

True, AHPRA are only responsible for your registration. Of course, your employment package is negotiated between yourself and the employer. As mentioned above, the award in WA for a 2.4 Staff Nurse is $80204.00 base salary.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the info. Feel more informed now.

Nicola
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

YvetteCamille is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, was just reading the thread and wanted to clarify, is it the employer who determines your band & salary? I'm a registered mental health nurse with 4 years experience, the last 2 years of which was as a band 6, I'm looking to move to QLD. Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Yvette.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Yvette,

APHRA will determine if you are RN Level 1 or RN Level 2, and the hospital will decide what they will pay.

Originally Posted by YvetteCamille
Hi guys, was just reading the thread and wanted to clarify, is it the employer who determines your band & salary? I'm a registered mental health nurse with 4 years experience, the last 2 years of which was as a band 6, I'm looking to move to QLD. Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Yvette.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by genorm
Hi Yvette,

APHRA will determine if you are RN Level 1 or RN Level 2, and the hospital will decide what they will pay.
AHPRA don't determine whether you are an RN level 1 or 2.
AHPRA purely register you as a nurse, whether that be RN or EN. No levels of RN on the register
Getting a job as an RN level 1 or 2 depends on what job the employer has vacant, what level they are offering etc and whether you meet their application criteria (experience, qualifications etc).
Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Absolutely correct - role on Friday

Originally Posted by kitty4
AHPRA don't determine whether you are an RN level 1 or 2.
AHPRA purely register you as a nurse, whether that be RN or EN. No levels of RN on the register
Getting a job as an RN level 1 or 2 depends on what job the employer has vacant, what level they are offering etc and whether you meet their application criteria (experience, qualifications etc).
Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:51 pm
Shaun

picto1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I think that any nurse moving or wanting to move to Australia should consider being paid at bottom point of a staff nurse grade regardless of experience.
I'm an 8a and have no expectation of achieving an equivalent band/grade. being registered on another countries register is an achievement in itself.